Marinelli: "Defense planned exactly like I want it" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Marinelli: "Defense planned exactly like I want it"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Marinelli: "Defense planned exactly like I want it"

Postby Santacruzer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:02 pm

Rod Marinelli on Lions defense: 'It's being planned exactly like I want it'

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • October 28, 2008

Highlights from Lions coach Rod Marinelli's weekly news conference Monday:

• On why he isn't considering making a change at defensive coordinator: "It's being planned exactly like I want it. We've got to execute better. That's all I can tell you."

• On sticking with his system: "My job, first, is to have a belief on how you do it -- not to change in midstream, not going to do that -- and to win games, no question. But I believe you win through belief. That's me."

• On wide receiver Calvin Johnson: "We were trying to get the ball down the field to him at times. His number was dialed quite a bit in this game (against the Redskins), and sometimes, they took him out. ... But we're very conscious of trying to get him the ball, and we'll continue to do that."

• On the defense: "Where we're not making plays, to me, right now, is picking the ball off, getting the interceptions, those type of things. And that's rush and cover. It works both together, hand-in-hand. But we're not making those three, four, five big plays on defense all the time."

• On the first non-sellout in Ford Field history: "What I look at is: How do I get more people back in the stadium? And that's putting (out) a better product that wins games. And if we do that, more fans will come. I appreciate the ones that did come."

Whaaaat? Exactly the way you planned it??? This is too easy to poke holes into.

Not making those "three, four, five big plays???? I hate to tell you, Marinelli, but it's gonna take more than 5 plays to turn this ship around. I think anyone of us could tell you you're missing on every down, and that's without looking at the game tape. We can all agree that the "right football character" players you brought in for your system are not executing AT ALL, but......but.......C'MON!!!! Open your eyes!!!
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Marinelli: "Defense planned exactly like I want it"

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:10 am

so is it still "on him"? sounds like the schemes are perfect, those men just cant execute. maybe they just need more time to practice pad level?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:13 am

Translation: My son-in-law has no more say over how this D is played than the guy we send out for food-Joe Cullen. NimRod is running the D just like he wants. Then the players must surely be the problem, not the coaching. Listen to all the talk leaked out of the Allen Park Compost will be that all the players Millen got us sucked and that is isn't Bozo's fault. Truth is NimRod is clueless. Any coach worth a spit would tell the QB to throw to the Franchise even if he is covered. He would practice differently than what he has been doing to produce the sewage we see on gameday. He would play all the young players and tell the geezers to sit on their TampaTwos. But NimRod the Clown insists that what he is doing is right dispite all the evidence to the contrary.
In that way he is a perfect fit for the Lions who have always run under the premise that they are smart and the league is dumb. Dispite the overwhelming proof that they are wrong.

Nimrod is totally delusional.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:34 pm

One of if not the worst coach in NFL history.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby dream_017 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:23 pm

I actually listened to the press conference this week....why?, I have no idea. All I know is I felt sick to my stomach after listening to it and had less faith in then team than when it began....if that is even possible.

Seriously?!?!? The 1-14 record in the last 15 games doesn't give him the slightest idea that something needs to change. Well, as long as it's planned right...who cares if we can exicute it...who cares if we can actually grasp it....who cares if we win games playing it....who cares if I lose my job coaching it...who cares? :-t :-t :-t :-t
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Return to Detroit Lions