Rod Marinelli on Lions defense: 'It's being planned exactly like I want it'
BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • October 28, 2008
Highlights from Lions coach Rod Marinelli's weekly news conference Monday:
• On why he isn't considering making a change at defensive coordinator: "It's being planned exactly like I want it. We've got to execute better. That's all I can tell you."
• On sticking with his system: "My job, first, is to have a belief on how you do it -- not to change in midstream, not going to do that -- and to win games, no question. But I believe you win through belief. That's me."
• On wide receiver Calvin Johnson: "We were trying to get the ball down the field to him at times. His number was dialed quite a bit in this game (against the Redskins), and sometimes, they took him out. ... But we're very conscious of trying to get him the ball, and we'll continue to do that."
• On the defense: "Where we're not making plays, to me, right now, is picking the ball off, getting the interceptions, those type of things. And that's rush and cover. It works both together, hand-in-hand. But we're not making those three, four, five big plays on defense all the time."
• On the first non-sellout in Ford Field history: "What I look at is: How do I get more people back in the stadium? And that's putting (out) a better product that wins games. And if we do that, more fans will come. I appreciate the ones that did come."
Whaaaat? Exactly the way you planned it??? This is too easy to poke holes into.
Not making those "three, four, five big plays???? I hate to tell you, Marinelli, but it's gonna take more than 5 plays to turn this ship around. I think anyone of us could tell you you're missing on every down, and that's without looking at the game tape. We can all agree that the "right football character" players you brought in for your system are not executing AT ALL, but......but.......C'MON!!!! Open your eyes!!!