Week 10 Games Talk - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Week 10 Games Talk

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 10 Games Talk

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:06 am

Each Sunday, our staff of college football experts will offer thoughts on things they learned over the weekend.

TEXAS TECH QB [DB]GRAHAM HARRELL[/DB] SHOULD BE THE LEADER IN THE HEISMAN RACE. Harrell, who leads the nation in passing, was sharp in throwing for more than 400 yards in a win over No. 1 Texas. He led a last-minute game-winning touchdown drive to beat the Longhorns. He's directing an explosive offense on an undefeated team that is a championship contender. He also outplayed Colt McCoy, who was the Heisman favorite. What else do you want?

IF FLORIDA WINS OUT, IT STILL MAY BE DESERVING OF A SPOT IN THE BCS TITLE GAME – EVEN OVER UNBEATEN PENN STATE. The Big Ten's sorry state this season is well-documented. Contrast that with the landmine-filled road the Gators will have traveled should they win out. Florida will have beaten Miami, LSU, Georgia, Florida State and Alabama. No way, no how, does Penn State's resume trump that. How much mileage can the Nittany Lions get out of that win over Oregon State? Geez.

PHILLIP FULMER'S DAYS AT TENNESSEE ARE DRAWING TO A CLOSE. Tennessee's offensive woes continue to confound, as South Carolina handled the Vols 27-6. That's the third time this season Tennessee scored 10 or fewer points, the first time that has happened in Fulmer's tenure. The clamor grows ever louder for his dismissal. Getting swept by your biggest rivals – Alabama, Georgia and Florida – isn't good. Having a bad offense isn't good. And, frankly, why should anything be that different next season? Yes, the Vols won the SEC East last season. But they haven't been to a BCS bowl since 1999.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/conte ... CID=871106
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:20 am

Some on Phil from Rivals

"Out of respect for Phillip, now is not the time to make a comment," Hamilton said.

When asked further, Hamilton told VolQuest.com that "no decision has been made."

But in and around the Tennessee locker room, the emotion certainly left the feeling not of will there be a change at head coach but when.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:18 am

deerayfan072 wrote:My prediction -- Fat Phil is going to be fired today or tomorrow. I just have a feeling

Phillip Fulmer, who a decade ago brought Tennessee its first national championship in 47 years, will not return as the Vols' coach next year, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

An announcement is being planned for later Monday at Neyland Stadium. The Vols (3-6, 1-5 SEC) have lost four straight games and are in danger of suffering their second losing season in the last four years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3679810

O:-)
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:08 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
The Lung wrote:
Metroid wrote:Utah, Boise St, and Ball St are all undefeated as well. Should they all be ahead of Texas, Oklahoma, Florida, and USC as well?

Look at who Utah, Boise St, and Ball St played and who everyone else played. They might as well be I-AA teams.

Strength of Schedules

PSU = 56
Utah = 73
BSU = 61

Texas = 1
Oklahoma = 12
Florida = 13

:-?

Just looking at the numbers isn't enough; have you every considered that Ball State's and Utah's SOS rankings are inflated because they're playing worse teams that have decent records due to them all playing against inferior competition? Just look at the teams played.

Utah: @ Michigan, UNLV, @ Utah State, @ Air Force, Weber State, Oregon State, @ Wyoming, Colorado State, @ New Mexico

Ball State: Northeastern, Navy, @ Akron, @ Indiana, Kent State, @ Toledo, @ Western Kentucky, Eastern Michigan

Penn State: Coastal Carolina, Oregon State, @ Syracuse, Temple, Illinois, @ Purdue, @ Wisconsin, Michigan, @ Ohio State

Now go ahead and tell me with a straight face that Penn State plays competition that's only marginally better than Ball State's or Utah's.

Looks like the BCS put PSU in the right spot for now: #3. Bama and Tech are undefeated and have played much tougher schedules so far. PSU was gonna need one of those two to lose anyway because Tech's tough remaining schedule would've helped them leapfrog PSU at some point anyway.

The Florida-PSU debate probably isn't going to matter anyway. Barring an upset, Florida and Bama will play in the SEC championship. Florida would have to win and Texas Tech would have to win out for there to be any kind of controversy.

On a side note, this is reason 2,743,305 why college football needs a friggin playoff system.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:13 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Just looking at the numbers isn't enough; have you every considered that Ball State's and Utah's SOS rankings are inflated because they're playing worse teams that have decent records due to them all playing against inferior competition? Just look at the teams played.

Utah: @ Michigan, UNLV, @ Utah State, @ Air Force, Weber State, Oregon State, @ Wyoming, Colorado State, @ New Mexico

Ball State: Northeastern, Navy, @ Akron, @ Indiana, Kent State, @ Toledo, @ Western Kentucky, Eastern Michigan

Penn State: Coastal Carolina, Oregon State, @ Syracuse, Temple, Illinois, @ Purdue, @ Wisconsin, Michigan, @ Ohio State

Now go ahead and tell me with a straight face that Penn State plays competition that's only marginally better than Ball State's or Utah's.

Looks like the BCS put PSU in the right spot for now: #3. Bama and Tech are undefeated and have played much tougher schedules so far. PSU was gonna need one of those two to lose anyway because Tech's tough remaining schedule would've helped them leapfrog PSU at some point anyway.

The Florida-PSU debate probably isn't going to matter anyway. Barring an upset, Florida and Bama will play in the SEC championship. Florida would have to win and Texas Tech would have to win out for there to be any kind of controversy.

On a side note, this is reason 2,743,305 why college football needs a friggin playoff system.

IMO, looking at the numbers is the thing to do. Stop looking at names and look at real numbers with real results. The computer SOS is not biased based on names. It looks at real numbers of teams that that play each week and what the results truly are. Sure I can look and say Wisky and Purdue and Illinois ad Michigan are better teams, but the fact is when you look at real numbers without looking at names they are not better this year.

It will matter to a lot college fans. Whether it is Florida or Texas or Oklahoma in the same spot if they win there conference with one loss. A one loss SEC or Big 12 team should be in the NC game over PSU.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:38 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:Just looking at the numbers isn't enough; have you every considered that Ball State's and Utah's SOS rankings are inflated because they're playing worse teams that have decent records due to them all playing against inferior competition? Just look at the teams played.

IMO, looking at the numbers is the thing to do. Stop looking at names and look at real numbers with real results. The computer SOS is not biased based on names. It looks at real numbers of teams that that play each week and what the results truly are. Sure I can look and say Wisky and Purdue and Illinois ad Michigan are better teams, but the fact is when you look at real numbers without looking at names they are not better this year.

It will matter to a lot college fans. Whether it is Florida or Texas or Oklahoma in the same spot if they win there conference with one loss. A one loss SEC or Big 12 team should be in the NC game over PSU.

If I was a Florida fan, I would probably make this argument as well, but you can't just go by numbers for the reason that steelerfan pointed out. The fact that Ball St.'s opponents have a better total record than Penn St.'s does not mean that they are better, or even almost as good. Just like you are pointing out that an undefeated Penn St. may not be as good as a one loss Florida due to their schedule, you can't definitively say that Air Force is just as good as Ohio St. due to the fact that they have similar records.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:39 pm

Playoff

How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:43 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:If I was a Florida fan, I would probably make this argument as well, but you can't just go by numbers for the reason that steelerfan pointed out. The fact that Ball St.'s opponents have a better total record than Penn St.'s does not mean that they are better, or even almost as good. Just like you are pointing out that an undefeated Penn St. may not be as good as a one loss Florida due to their schedule, you can't definitively say that Air Force is just as good as Ohio St. due to the fact that they have similar records.

Except that simple win/loss records aren't the "numbers" that Dee is referring to. He's talking about the SOS two-deep numbers, and probably even beyond second level. No matter how you slice it, Ball St. isn't going to have a drastically different SOS than PSU, whereas Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Florida, Alabama, USC, OK State are all going to have faced far tougher competition.

Again, I've said this a brazillion times, but it's the cyclical nature of college football. ATM the Big 10 isn't so strong. Not Penn State's fault, but it does serve to counterpoint the strength of the Big XII and the conference down south (forget the name... some directional conference or something :-D ).
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:50 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

If I was a Florida fan, I would probably make this argument as well, but you can't just go by numbers for the reason that steelerfan pointed out. The fact that Ball St.'s opponents have a better total record than Penn St.'s does not mean that they are better, or even almost as good. Just like you are pointing out that an undefeated Penn St. may not be as good as a one loss Florida due to their schedule, you can't definitively say that Air Force is just as good as Ohio St. due to the fact that they have similar records.

I agree on Ball State, which was why I did not include them. I disagreed on the other teams ;-D

PSU = 56
Utah = 73
BSU = 61

Those were the ones I was comparing. Ball state is at 109 I think. That was why i adjusted them in my rankings. I went back after this weekend and did a lot more research and also went back to some of my tivoed games to look at some stuff ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:53 pm

knapplc wrote:Playoff

Whats sad is that they cannot even discuss that again until 2012
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football