Houston Wide Out Breaks Leg on Cart Just Off Field - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Houston Wide Out Breaks Leg on Cart Just Off Field

Moderator: Football Moderators

Houston Wide Out Breaks Leg on Cart Just Off Field

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:17 pm

Most of you guys probably didn't watch Houston v. Marshall last night, but if you did you know what I am talking about.

Here is the clip for those not watching last night -- it happens on the second play

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcqVloclNNI

My question: Is it really necessary to have that cart there? I mean how many times have we seen a wide run through the end zone with a good amount of speed. There has to be a better place for that. This could really ruin the kids career because that was a nasty break.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Houston Wide Out Breaks Leg on Cart Just Off Field

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:23 pm

Yeah, it was a nasty break. I think there's a good chance that this kid has played his last football game.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:39 pm

Compound fractures are not good.

There is no reason for anything to be in the back of the endzone. Awful....just awful. :-t
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby BlueBandit24 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:38 pm

Just hard to watch. Hopefully an incident such as this spurns some change as far as placing things behind the endzone goes. Best of luck to this kid on a speedy recovery.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:05 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:Just hard to watch. Hopefully an incident such as this spurns some change as far as placing things behind the endzone goes. Best of luck to this kid on a speedy recovery.

I would hope so man, I can guarantee they wont have those stupid carts on the field at Marshall anymore. It's kinda the same thing but I also have a problem with cheerleaders and camera men so close to the court at basketball games, both college and pro. :-t

Somebody at the very end yells "Walk it off." 8-o

Is it bad that made me giggle a little? :-D
Metroid

Postby ShoelessJoe » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:04 am

This type of thing is going to happen in the NFL very soon. Photographers and other people on the sideline are too close to the game. A big name NFL player will get hurt in the next few years and that's when we'll see changes. There are too many people on the sidelines of college and pro games nowadays.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:34 am

ShoelessJoe wrote:This type of thing is going to happen in the NFL very soon. Photographers and other people on the sideline are too close to the game. A big name NFL player will get hurt in the next few years and that's when we'll see changes. There are too many people on the sidelines of college and pro games nowadays.

Totally. This just reminded me of something, last week at the end of the Saints/Chargers game in London when Brees intentionally took a 2 point conversion. He ran toward the end zone and chucked the ball out the back....and beaned a cameraman in the head. Anybody else see that? :-b
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:22 am

It's not just football - NBA and NCAA games have people right on the freaking court! At Nebraska they have chairs set up on the wood. Who needs to be THAT CLOSE? We've all seen NBA players dive into the crowds going for a loose ball, and on fast breaks where their momentum carries them under the basket into the bevy of cameras. Dumb.

MLB has this problem as well, as does college ball and Independent ball. Right here in Stinkin' Lincoln we have a pretty nice park, but the grass seating "berms" go right down to the field, maybe eight feet from the lines, and the wall is pretty short right there. In MLB games I've seen plenty of times where bats go into the stands because they're so close. Wrigly just implemented some new seats that are right on top of the field, way too close.

I get that people want to be close to the action. It's cool. But for goodness' sake, they don't have to be inches from the playing area.

It's actually surprising that this kind of thing doesn't happen more often.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:39 pm

Nasty! :-P :-t :-t
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:58 pm

Patrick Edwards says he holds no animosity toward Marshall....his mom on the other hand is considering legal action. She has a case too, though I think the blame should fall on the NCAA and the officials as well as Marshall. Everyone failed in making the environment safe. The Marshall equipment manager or band crew or whoever failed by leaving the cart behind the endzone. The officials failed for not noticing the serious hazard the carts caused by being back there. And The NCAA has failed for years for not having rules in place to keep things like this from happening. As others have said I'm really surprised this hasn't happened more often. :-?

dee probably can speak better to the legal aspect of this story though. ;-D

Linkage

CHARLESTON, W. Va. — Houston wide receiver Patrick Edwards said Wednesday he holds no animosity toward Marshall, a day after he ran into a service cart and broke his leg in a game against the Thundering Herd.

A Cabell Huntington Hospital spokesman said Edwards was in good condition Wednesday following surgery.

His mother, Patricia Edwards, told Houston television station KRIV she is considering legal action against Marshall.

“I thought I didn’t have a son anymore, the way he flipped,” she said. “I thought we had lost him.”
Metroid

Next

Return to College Football