Stanton scout team QB??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Stanton scout team QB???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Stanton scout team QB???

Postby moochman » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:50 am

MLive http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/10/how_soon_will_lions_play_stant.html
Code: Select all
How soon will Lions play Stanton? Who knows?
by Tom Kowalski
Wednesday October 29, 2008, 2:15 PM
When asked if quarterback Drew Stanton might see some playing time this week against the Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said today that he wouldn't rule anything out.

Stanton, though, said that he has been given no indication that he's going to get any playing time. More importantly, Stanton is not taking any reps with the first unit, only scout team reps. All of the first-team snaps are going to starter Dan Orlovsky.

Still, Stanton said that he feels physically and mentally prepared to play if called upon, whether its this week, next week or whenever.

Playing scout team QB doesn't bother me as much as hearing that Stanton isn't getting any reps with the starting team. I could have sworn I heard NimRod saying that they were splitting first team reps.
I guess that this will help boost Stanton's confidence and give him some great practice tape for NimRod the Clown to watch. Afterall, he is practicing against the Lions D.
Really starting to sound as if Drew isn't nearly ready to play NFL football, or at least NimRod ball. Sad not to see this exciting player not get a chance to sling it around on Sundays.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Stanton scout team QB???

Postby dream_017 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:49 am

moochman wrote:MLive http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/10/how_soon_will_lions_play_stant.html
Code: Select all
How soon will Lions play Stanton? Who knows?
by Tom Kowalski
Wednesday October 29, 2008, 2:15 PM
When asked if quarterback Drew Stanton might see some playing time this week against the Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions head coach Rod Marinelli said today that he wouldn't rule anything out.

Stanton, though, said that he has been given no indication that he's going to get any playing time. More importantly, Stanton is not taking any reps with the first unit, only scout team reps. All of the first-team snaps are going to starter Dan Orlovsky.

Still, Stanton said that he feels physically and mentally prepared to play if called upon, whether its this week, next week or whenever.

Playing scout team QB doesn't bother me as much as hearing that Stanton isn't getting any reps with the starting team. I could have sworn I heard NimRod saying that they were splitting first team reps.
I guess that this will help boost Stanton's confidence and give him some great practice tape for NimRod the Clown to watch. Afterall, he is practicing against the Lions D.
Really starting to sound as if Drew isn't nearly ready to play NFL football, or at least NimRod ball. Sad not to see this exciting player not get a chance to sling it around on Sundays.

So, he gets to practice against the Lions D 8-o He should have a career high QB rating in practice ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby Santacruzer » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:42 pm

Poor choice of words, or did Coletto ignore the usual coach-speak, and talk honestly when saying that, "I'm not going to put a youngster in there and embarrass him in a live NFL game".

Stanton surprised by Colletto's remarks; Marinelli: Colletto made 'poor choice of words'

BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • November 1, 2008

Lions coach Rod Marinelli said offensive coordinator Jim Colletto made a "poor choice of words" Thursday when he said he didn't want to embarrass quarterback Drew Stanton by playing him now.

"What he's saying is, we want to make sure he's got enough tools to go into a game with," Marinelli said Friday.

Stanton has had little practice because of injuries since the Lions drafted him in the second round last year out of Michigan State.

Colletto called Stanton into his office Thursday to warn him about the comments and clarify them.

"It really was surprising to hear," Stanton said. "I was taken aback by that."

Asked if he was satisfied with Colletto's explanation, Stanton said: "I don't know. Anytime that you play for somebody that says they don't want you to go out there and embarrass yourself, obviously it's not going to make you feel good.

"But at the same time, that's his evaluation of me. Maybe I need to change his mind or whatever, or maybe I won't get the opportunity to. I can't worry about the words or the exact definition of what he's trying to say. ... You never really know unless I get a chance to get out there. Maybe I won't embarrass myself. Who knows?"

Colletto took questions about Stanton after practice Thursday and used "embarrass" twice.

Asked why it wouldn't be fair to Stanton to throw him in at this point, Colletto said: "Well, he's not ready to do that yet. I'm not going to embarrass the kid just to prove a point to somebody else."

Told the fans wanted to see Stanton to evaluate him for the future, Colletto said: "Well, it's hard. The fans want a lot of things. So do we. But I'm not going to put a youngster in there and embarrass him in a live NFL game -- where the guys on the other side don't care who the quarterback is -- till he's real comfortable with what he's doing. And he's getting closer and closer to doing that."

Stanton said he didn't read the comments, but he heard about them.

"That's fine," Stanton said. "He's entitled to his opinion. So if he thinks that I'd embarrass myself when I go out there, then that's what he believes. Ultimately, he's the offensive coordinator right now."

Asked if he thought Stanton would embarrass himself if he had to play, Marinelli said: "No. I felt it was just a poor choice of words on our part, a poor choice of words. We could have used a better word."

But Marinelli backed up the substance of Colletto's comments.

Stanton got the first substantial regular-season reps of his career the week of the Oct. 12 game at Minnesota, when Dan Orlovsky and Jon Kitna were uncertain with injuries. Stanton split reps with Orlovsky that week.

But from then until Wednesday, virtually all of Stanton's reps were with the scout team, because Orlovsky had taken over as the starter and the Lions wanted to give him as many reps as possible. The Lions started giving Stanton about 20% of the reps Thursday. That's about standard for a backup.

"It's difficult trying to get both guys ready, develop two young quarterbacks," Marinelli said. "You've got to ensure the other guy's getting enough looks for a starter for the benefit of the rest of the team, too."

Asked about getting Stanton experience for the future, Marinelli said: "I can see that. But I also look at the guys who are beat-up up front, taped, shot-up, whatever it is. I owe them the best opportunity. If I'm going to ask them to go out and physically compete for a game and lay it all on the line, we have to make sure those guys have the best chance to win. They're going to physically pound themselves, and I respect that very much."

Does Stanton think he's ready?

"I think anybody who plays in this league thinks they're ready to go out and play," Stanton said. "You prepare and try to put yourself in a position that if you're called upon to play, you're going to go out there and play, not say, 'Hey, I'm going to embarrass myself.' "
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:33 am

Stanton sounds as if he has no affinity for Coletto. NimRod should have just kept out of it. He has nothing to do with the O anyway, so why didn't he just keep quiet. Instead he comes out and basically says that Stanton doesn't have the tools to start in the NFL. If the Lions keep this moronic squad of coaches Stanton is probably going to be cut next year. For his sake he should hope so.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:59 pm

The organization is embarrassing.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Detroit Lions