Tribal Council - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Tribal Council

Moderator: Football Moderators

Tribal Council

Postby Azrael » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:49 am

There is a guy in one of my leagues (I'm the commissioner), 8 teams, that thinks we should get everyone to vote on whether each potential trade should be accepted or vetoed. This is something he seems to think we agreed upon at the beginning of the year but no one else seems to recall. Just a little background, the draft was held at my house with everyone present and we pretty much know each other.

There have only been 2 trades this year so far, one, this person was involved in, in which he traded Toomer and McNair for Ward and W. Green (several weeks ago when Green was still a starter and not getting DUI's). He calls me up and asks me what I think. I said it sounds pretty fair, hook up the trade and I'll process it. He requested that I call everyone and make sure everyone thought it was ok. I said I didn't think we needed to do that, it's not that big of a deal but I called one other person at his request. This guy agreed and so I put it through.

Now this upcoming week I play mister anal trade man. I am in first and the other guy is in 5th, 2 games out of 4th, which is the last playoff spot. I had Portis, S. Davis, C-Mart, and M. Bennett at runningback, start 2. Portis is off, so I was going to play Davis and C-Mart. Enter the news about the Davis ankle injury. Now I'm concerned that Davis won't play much and I'll be going with C-Mart and Bennett this week. I decide to offer Bennett for D. Foster to some other person in the league. I figure I'd rather have one full time starter, especially since Carolina has a stud running game than have to go with Bennett (who I don't know how much he'll touch the ball). The guy accepts the trade in a heartbeat of course since he would rather have a starter at back up runningback (he also has Alexander and Barber) than have Foster who will only play if Davis can't go.

The deal is done, I get Foster for Bennett...2 not real important guys right? Mr. anal trade posts on the message board about how this was never voted on by everyone and you can't just be putting trades through that benefit you cause your the commissioner. I said that it's a pain in the ass to try to get ahold of everyone in the league and get a vote in 2 days and I didn't see what the big deal was, I'd rather have Foster as insurance on Davis and the other guy would rather have Bennett, but if everyone in the league thought it was unfair then I would reverse the trade before it could affect this week. 2 guys posted back saying they really didn't give a crap because we basically traded to nobodys and the trade was pretty even anyway.

I think the guy is just pissed because he thought he would be facing C-Mart and Bennett this week and I was able to get my hands on Foster instead. Does anyone else have a guy like this or does your league vote on every single trade? Was I ok in just processing this trade?
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby batboy » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:51 am

I think u see y no one trades in that league.
batboy

Friendliness: %

Postby awwchrist » Sun Nov 09, 2003 12:58 am

In a local everyone knows everyone type league you'd be FAR better off to have your trade rules as such:

Rule 1. Every trade is allowed, sans collusion.

Rule 2. A trade will be considered as "collusion" under the commisioner's discretion.

Rule 3. If a trade involving the commisioner is considered "collusion" then a designated 3rd party will decided wether to veto the trade.

Bottom line, any trade is allowable unless it reaks that two owners are in kahootz. It has made my job as commish sooo much easier and it really puts the screw to the owners to live hard with the deals made and learn from their mistakes.

This would have totally nullified all the BS you are going through right now.
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Sun Nov 09, 2003 10:45 am

In my league the Commish has the right to allow a trade immediately if he determine the value to be equal. If not, the trade is posted for all to see and offer a vote to reject with an explaination. We haven't had any trades of uneqal value, except for the one in which one team traded LT and Shockey for R. Moss. Turns out the guy loved the Vikes so the trade went through. Having evry one vote on trades is silly, but having the right to object is fine, give 'em 2 days then allow the trades.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk