2008 BCS Poll Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2008 BCS Poll Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

2008 BCS Poll Discussion

Postby ShoelessJoe » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:09 pm

This is just for the weekly BCS poll release, discussion, etc...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/BCSStandings?week=3

This week's poll^^^

A few of observations I took away:
One computer poll (The Colley Matrix: http://www.colleyrankings.com/currank.html ) has Texas #1, and Florida #3 both ahead of Texas Tech and Penn St.

There are 5 non-BCS teams in the top 17 of the BCS. The computers are REALLY rewarding those teams that play BCS conference teams and win.
Utah human polls: 10/9 Computer 7 beat Michigan and Oregon St
Boise 11/10 Computer 8 beat Oregon
TCU 12/11 Computer 13
BYU 16/16 Computer 17
Ball St 17/18 Computer 15
The teams that beat BCS teams have a +2.5 average higher ranking in the computer polls. The teams that haven't have the same average in the computer polls as the computer polls.

Penn St isn't #1 in any of the computer polls but isn't lower than #4 in any of them either. What that tells me is that they aren't going to have a bad enough computer rankings to drop them out of the NC game working under the assumption that they're in the top 2 of the final human polls.

This must be an error but if it's not, then it's VERY odd. There is no team listed as the #6 best team according to computer rankings. Unless I'm missing something there must be an error, but if not, that means the #6 computer team is #26+ in the BCS. Strange.

4 of the top 9 in the BCS are from the Big 12 South. None of them have lost to anybody except each other.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2008 BCS Poll Discussion

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:14 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:This is just for the weekly BCS poll release, discussion, etc...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/BCSStandings?week=3

This week's poll^^^

A few of observations I took away:
One computer poll (The Colley Matrix: http://www.colleyrankings.com/currank.html ) has Texas #1, and Florida #3 both ahead of Texas Tech and Penn St.

There are 5 non-BCS teams in the top 17 of the BCS. The computers are REALLY rewarding those teams that play BCS conference teams and win.
Utah human polls: 10/9 Computer 7 beat Michigan and Oregon St
Boise 11/10 Computer 8 beat Oregon
TCU 12/11 Computer 13
BYU 16/16 Computer 17
Ball St 17/18 Computer 15
The teams that beat BCS teams have a +2.5 average higher ranking in the computer polls. The teams that haven't have the same average in the computer polls as the computer polls.

Penn St isn't #1 in any of the computer polls but isn't lower than #4 in any of them either. What that tells me is that they aren't going to have a bad enough computer rankings to drop them out of the NC game working under the assumption that they're in the top 2 of the final human polls.

This must be an error but if it's not, then it's VERY odd. There is no team listed as the #6 best team according to computer rankings. Unless I'm missing something there must be an error, but if not, that means the #6 computer team is #26+ in the BCS. Strange.

4 of the top 9 in the BCS are from the Big 12 South. None of them have lost to anybody except each other.

That division is sick. 4 of the best teams in the country no doubt. One of them HAS to be in the NC Game this season
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby eagles21 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:06 pm

It seems like some people disagree that Texas Tech should have moved ahead of Penn State this weekend, although I don't really see why it would matter. If they beat Oklahoma St. next week, they probably would have moved into the #2 spot anyway, and if they lose next week, then they'll drop below Penn State. Either situation is would have happened, regardless if they were 2 or 3.

With that said, Tech loses next week, putting Penn State #2 and on their way to the Championship Game. :-) ;-D
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:11 pm

I don't see why it matters either.

I would have taken greater issue with a one-loss team ahead of Penn State. At this late stage in the season, unless a undefeated team is in a lame conference like the MAC, Mountain West, WAC, etc. with no real competition, undefeated teams should be ahead of one-loss teams.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby DaShiz23 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:15 am

The Lung wrote:I don't see why it matters either.

I would have taken greater issue with a one-loss team ahead of Penn State. At this late stage in the season, unless a undefeated team is in a lame conference like the MAC, Mountain West, WAC, etc. with no real competition, undefeated teams should be ahead of one-loss teams.

Does putting TT at #2 allow for a one-loss Okla St or OU (or even Texas) the ability to jump PSU because they beat the 'no 2' team in the land.
I don't have much bias here, even though the Big 10 should be on a 5 year probation period because they are horrible.
DaShiz23
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:01 am

Its about integrity. If they cant get the standings "correct" now, why would there be any faith that they can do it at the end of the season.

Also, I wouldnt be so quick to throw the MWC under the bus. I whole-heartedly believe that conference could give the big10 and pac10 runs for their money.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:07 am

HskrPwr13 wrote:

Its about integrity. If they cant get the standings "correct" now, why would there be any faith that they can do it at the end of the season.

Also, I wouldnt be so quick to throw the MWC under the bus. I whole-heartedly believe that conference could give the big10 and pac10 runs for their money.

I agree on both accounts. ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:10 am

HskrPwr13 wrote:

Ok, this is a bit unrelated, but I just want to say thank you for including the Pac 10 in that as well. I am so sick of the Big 10 getting crap when the Pac 10 is also simply horrible. Each has 1 good team and the rest of the division is bad.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:14 am

HskrPwr13 wrote:

just looked

MWC is 6-1 against the Pac-10 and 1-0 against the Big 10 this season
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:03 pm

Want to compare conferences? check this out:

http://www.colleyrankings.com/curconf.html

It has all of each conference's out of conference games sorted in a matrix and explained in more detail.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to College Football