2008 BCS Poll Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2008 BCS Poll Discussion

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2008 BCS Poll Discussion

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:32 pm

I just thought of something that may solve some problems with the BCS and that has been considered before but wanted to hear everyone's reaction...

Everyone knows the ACC/Big 10 Challenge in basketball?

What if opening week each year there was a Big 12/SEC, Big 10/PAC 10 challenge etc that rotates conferences each year. (IE SEC plays Big 12 this year then the Big 10 next year then the ACC, etc etc) The teams at the bottom of the conference in the previous year are excluded from the playoff each year so the bottom 2 of the SEC/ACC/Big 12 would be dropped so there would be 10 games against the PAC 10. The home teams could rotate each year within each conference so there would be 5 home and 5 away each year.

This would make it easier for voters and computers to separate teams/conference strength prior to bowl games.

Since ESPN picked up the SEC contract too, that means the TV contracts wouldn't be too tough to handle either.

What prompted my idea was a question I asked Mel Kiper in today's chat:

Brett (Gainesville, FL): Mel, what are your thoughts on a Big 12/SEC Challenge in FBS similar to what we see in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge in basketball? Would that help clarify the rankings as well as provide one great opening weekend of football?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:29 PM ET ) Yeah, I think if you could schedule it properly. But schedules are made so far in advance. We're in a cycle right now where The Big 12 has so many great QBs. But who's to say that in 3-4 years they will still have great QBs? People talk about the schedules and how easy they are, but when they scheduled the game, the team was good. I think it's a great idea, having the SEC and Big 12 play each other. Texas plays Arkansas and I think that might be it.

Thoughts? Potential Road Blocks (don't even say the name Jim Delaney...)? Arguments against/for?
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:35 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:I usually can't stand Ivan Maisel because he may love the Big 10 more than his wife but I did agree with some of his points in this week's 'I-Formation'

A reader suggested the two teams playing the best right now are Florida and USC. It's unfair, the reader said, that the two best teams would not get the opportunity to play for it all.

I happen to agree with this reader that the Gators and the Trojans are playing better than just about anybody else right now...

Back up a minute. Why aren't Florida and USC at the top right now? Each of them lost a game. Where did they lose it? In the polls? The computers? No, both of them lost on the field. Florida lost at home to an Ole Miss team that is 5-4. USC lost on the road to an Oregon State team that is 5-3. Didn't that prove something?

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/notebook?page=iform0811

I agree. Everyone hears Pete Carroll saying he's in favor of a playoff. Bob Stoops said the same thing yesterday. And guess what? Both of those teams lost on the field.

I'd be interested to hear what Carroll or Stoops said when asked about a playoff next year if their team was in Texas Tech/Alabama's position...

To be fair, both have been proponents of a playoff system for some time.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:38 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:I just thought of something that may solve some problems with the BCS and that has been considered before but wanted to hear everyone's reaction...

What if opening week each year there was a Big 12/SEC, Big 10/PAC 10 challenge etc that rotates conferences each year. (IE SEC plays Big 12 this year then the Big 10 next year then the ACC, etc etc) The teams at the bottom of the conference in the previous year are excluded from the playoff each year so the bottom 2 of the SEC/ACC/Big 12 would be dropped so there would be 10 games against the PAC 10. The home teams could rotate each year within each conference so there would be 5 home and 5 away each year.

This would make it easier for voters and computers to separate teams/conference strength prior to bowl games.

Since ESPN picked up the SEC contract too, that means the TV contracts wouldn't be too tough to handle either.

Brett (Gainesville, FL): Mel, what are your thoughts on a Big 12/SEC Challenge in FBS similar to what we see in the ACC/Big 10 Challenge in basketball? Would that help clarify the rankings as well as provide one great opening weekend of football?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:29 PM ET ) Yeah, I think if you could schedule it properly. But schedules are made so far in advance. We're in a cycle right now where The Big 12 has so many great QBs. But who's to say that in 3-4 years they will still have great QBs? People talk about the schedules and how easy they are, but when they scheduled the game, the team was good. I think it's a great idea, having the SEC and Big 12 play each other. Texas plays Arkansas and I think that might be it.

Thoughts? Potential Road Blocks (don't even say the name Jim Delaney...)? Arguments against/for?

I think it could help, but there would still be arguments. The scheduling would be a major problem because like they said the schedules are made years in advance so it would take a while to get started. I would not want to see it in the first week though because we all know that without "preseason" games these teams are not playing there best ball the first week or so of the season.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:56 pm

Apparently, this was mentioned at the Big 12 media days and some of the Big 12 coaches are in favor it.

Rumblings have been heard during recent months about the Big 12 testing the waters on a potential "challenge series" for football. It would be tailored along the lines of the one developed for Pac-10 basketball.

The idea would be to match most, if not all, 12 teams from the conference against a similarly configured conference like the ACC or SEC.

Stoops has championed the idea of such a series several times in recent seasons. And Leach said that he was intrigued by the concept, although he hasn't heard anything specific about it.

"I think it sounds like a pretty good idea," Leach said. "The key thing would be to involve everybody."

This article was from May 2008

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3409420

Then here's a proposal on some guy's blog, obviously I'm not the first guy to come up with this idea...

http://www.dawgsports.com/story/2007/4/23/234851/614

I know the logistics may be tough initially once you get it up and running and everyone on board I don't see any major problems so long all of the conferences agree. Plus if ESPN were to pay each school to do this (in return they get some GREAT games) that would recoup the losses that some teams may complain about because they don't get a home game every other year. Or if ESPN doesn't want to pay out of pocket, call up FedEx and it could be the FedEX Conference Challenge.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BritSox » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:37 pm

DaShiz23 wrote:I don't have much bias here, even though the Big 10 should be on a 5 year probation period because they are horrible.

Great idea, though if they do that, ND should get a 10-year BCS bowl probation period.
"I can't say that. I'd have to say having Ryan Leaf quarterback us to a 1-15 record is probably the biggest challenge."

Rodney Harrison, on whether losing Tom Brady to injury was the greatest challenge he has faced in football.
BritSox
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HskrPwr13 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:49 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:I just thought of something that may solve some problems with the BCS and that has been considered before but wanted to hear everyone's reaction...

I think it could help, but there would still be arguments. The scheduling would be a major problem because like they said the schedules are made years in advance so it would take a while to get started. I would not want to see it in the first week though because we all know that without "preseason" games these teams are not playing there best ball the first week or so of the season.

Youre preseason statement is why I dont like those that judge teams based on their non-conf scheds. I do like how many SEC teams have it set up where they play non-conf games throughout the season. If the schedulers ever set up some type of challenge, I'd hope they'd set it up so that it plays throughout the season.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:58 am

The president-elect doesn't like the BCS:

“I think it is about time that we had playoffs in college football,” Obama said Monday on ESPN. “I’m fed up with these computer rankings and this and that and the other. Get eight teams – the top eight teams right at the end. You got a playoff. Decide on a national champion.”

If we have a president who's against the BCS, maybe he'll put some kind of pressure on the NCAA to scrap it and go to a playoff. :-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby DaShiz23 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:43 pm

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!! No Big Ten team in the mix! Now, give the Rose Bowl Bid to the Mountain West!
DaShiz23
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:14 pm

Saw an interesting stat in ESPN Magazine this week about first down yardage on offense and defense. They did the top 12 in the BCS from last week. Offensive number is average gained on first down and defense is average given up

Bama - 5.77 offense 3.06 defense
TT - 7.71 offense 5.92 defense
PSU - 7.12 offense 3.97 defense
Texas - 6.52 offense 5.03 defense
Florida - 7.18 offense 3.96 defense
OU - 6.37 offense 5.01 defense
USC - 7.27 offense 3.45 defense
Utah - 5.41 offense 4.60 defense
OKST - 7.70 offense 4.79 defense
BSU - 6.10 offense 3.51 defense
OSU - 5.20 offense 4.59 defense
TCU - 5.21 offense 2.88 defense

USC, UF, and PSU are top 3 in scoring margin.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby knapplc » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:52 pm

Those stats are out of context without a SOS evaluation.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to College Football