Trade Vetoed, then put back through - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Trade Vetoed, then put back through

Moderator: Football Moderators

Trade Vetoed, then put back through

Postby THEOT » Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:34 am

Got a 12 team redraft league, it is a money league too. The league runs on League votes to veto a trade. Not a fan of the system but it isn't horrible.

The Commish is sitting at 4-4 going into week 9 here. He offered a trade to the last place team that had 3 QB's - Cutler, Favre & Schaub because he only had Garrard. The trade was the commish gives up Garrard and Kevin Smith and the last place team who's 2-6 going into this past weekend gives up Cutler and Edge.

The trade got vetoed, a lot of people didn't feel it was fair possibly collusion even, and the last place team gained nothing from it in my opinion. Well, The commish told everybody to "get bent" that vetoed his trade, and sent the trade back through late friday night before the trade deadline knowing people probably wouldn't be on much saturday to vote it down and it went through. He's winning this week, and wouldn't have won without Cutler.

I know that trades shouldn't be vetoed unless there's evidence of collusion in most cases, but I also believe that any trade that doesn't benefit both teams somehow should definitely be questioned, especially this late in the year minutes before the trade deadline. The bigger issue is the fact that it was rejected and the commish put it back through anyway. That's what I'm really upset about and if the league spoke regardless of how he felt about it he shouldn't have done it anyway. What do you guys think?
THEOT
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Trade Vetoed, then put back through

Postby Script-Ohio » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:56 am

So the commish used his commish powers to put the trade through despite it being vetoed? Or they just agreed to the trade again through normal channels and it happened to not be vetoed that time? If he actually used his position as commish to overrule a veto I'd never be in a league he runs again. If it's a group of friends, set up the league yourself next year instead. Even IF it was a flimsy veto and there was no collusion the league rules are what they are and it was voted down under the system HE himself set up.
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby THEOT » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:17 pm

Script-Ohio wrote:So the commish used his commish powers to put the trade through despite it being vetoed? Or they just agreed to the trade again through normal channels and it happened to not be vetoed that time? If he actually used his position as commish to overrule a veto I'd never be in a league he runs again. If it's a group of friends, set up the league yourself next year instead. Even IF it was a flimsy veto and there was no collusion the league rules are what they are and it was voted down under the system HE himself set up.

He put it through again and it didn't get vetoed the 2nd time. Its a league of supposed friends, but theirs always drama.
THEOT
Head Coach
Head Coach

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:45 pm

Commish overstepped his powers. The league is set up that enough votes will veto a trade, and that's what happened as you said. Commish putting it through again is breaking your league rules, he's a dirty cheater, get the tar and feathers.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:32 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:Commish overstepped his powers. The league is set up that enough votes will veto a trade, and that's what happened as you said. Commish putting it through again is breaking your league rules, he's a dirty cheater, get the tar and feathers.

i disagree...i dont see why that trade should have been vetoed...i would have tried to put it through again too (maybe make a case to the league). obviously it went through the second time for some reason
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:02 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:
JasonSeahorn wrote:Commish overstepped his powers. The league is set up that enough votes will veto a trade, and that's what happened as you said. Commish putting it through again is breaking your league rules, he's a dirty cheater, get the tar and feathers.

i disagree...i dont see why that trade should have been vetoed...i would have tried to put it through again too (maybe make a case to the league). obviously it went through the second time for some reason

Whether or not we think it should get vetoed (and I don't either), their league is set up so that if there are enough votes against the trade, it will get vetoed. THEOT didn't say that the same trade was put through and that the league had a discussion about it to let it through, but instead

THEOT wrote:The trade got vetoed, a lot of people didn't feel it was fair possibly collusion even, and the last place team gained nothing from it in my opinion. Well, The commish told everybody to "get bent" that vetoed his trade, and sent the trade back through late friday night before the trade deadline knowing people probably wouldn't be on much saturday to vote it down and it went through. He's winning this week, and wouldn't have won without Cutler.

If the commish had said nothing and just put the trade through again, maybe I can say that the league thought it was okay and decided to not veto it a 2nd time, even though him waiting for the night before the deadline to do it would still looks weird to me. Instead, the commish told off everyone that vetoed the trade and put it through right before the deadline. I seriously doubt the league suddenly said "We don't mind the trade anymore"

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:23 am

JasonSeahorn wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:

Whether or not we think it should get vetoed (and I don't either), their league is set up so that if there are enough votes against the trade, it will get vetoed. THEOT didn't say that the same trade was put through and that the league had a discussion about it to let it through, but instead

THEOT wrote:The trade got vetoed, a lot of people didn't feel it was fair possibly collusion even, and the last place team gained nothing from it in my opinion. Well, The commish told everybody to "get bent" that vetoed his trade, and sent the trade back through late friday night before the trade deadline knowing people probably wouldn't be on much saturday to vote it down and it went through. He's winning this week, and wouldn't have won without Cutler.

If the commish had said nothing and just put the trade through again, maybe I can say that the league thought it was okay and decided to not veto it a 2nd time, even though him waiting for the night before the deadline to do it would still looks weird to me. Instead, the commish told off everyone that vetoed the trade and put it through right before the deadline. I seriously doubt the league suddenly said "We don't mind the trade anymore"

that's the exact impression i'm getting...if the owners in a league are too lazy to vote on trades over the weekend that's their fault
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby padrino990_200 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:59 am

first off i see no problem with the traed, its not like edge is elite anymore.

and why cant he propose the same trade again? do you have a rule stating that? i doubt it. if the owners are complaining its their own fault for not going on and checking and vetoeing it again. tell the owners to stop complaining, they could have vetoed it again.

this is why i hate league vetoes, they never work fairly. you should just have a good commish who takes peoples cases and makes the sole decision. this is how my 3 leagues work and its the best way.
padrino990_200
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:04 pm

padrino990_200 wrote:first off i see no problem with the traed, its not like edge is elite anymore.

and why cant he propose the same trade again? do you have a rule stating that? i doubt it. if the owners are complaining its their own fault for not going on and checking and vetoeing it again. tell the owners to stop complaining, they could have vetoed it again.

this is why i hate league vetoes, they never work fairly. you should just have a good commish who takes peoples cases and makes the sole decision. this is how my 3 leagues work and its the best way.

another good option is a trade comittee of 3 people...if needed have an alternate in case they are involved in the deal
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby padrino990_200 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:14 pm

well thats what we do. we have a commish, a 2nd commish then a third and it goes down the ladder until it gets to someone thats not involved in the deal.
padrino990_200
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner