Fulmer to Step Down - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Fulmer to Step Down

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fulmer to Step Down

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:17 am

Phillip Fulmer, who a decade ago brought Tennessee its first national championship in 47 years, will not return as the Vols' coach next year, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

An announcement is being planned for later Monday at Neyland Stadium. The Vols (3-6, 1-5 SEC) have lost four straight games and are in danger of suffering their second losing season in the last four years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3679810
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fulmer to Step Down

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:05 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Phillip Fulmer, who a decade ago brought Tennessee its first national championship in 47 years, will not return as the Vols' coach next year, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

An announcement is being planned for later Monday at Neyland Stadium. The Vols (3-6, 1-5 SEC) have lost four straight games and are in danger of suffering their second losing season in the last four years.

This is going to be a tough job to fill. SEC jobs are getting tougher and tougher to fill nowadays because of the ludicrous expectations that go along with them. Sure there's still tons of talent in the southeast but the best jobs to have are the jobs in the south (where the athletes are) that have great facilities but aren't in the SEC. (Think Clemson, FSU, GA Tech)
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:20 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

This is going to be a tough job to fill. SEC jobs are getting tougher and tougher to fill nowadays because of the ludicrous expectations that go along with them. Sure there's still tons of talent in the southeast but the best jobs to have are the jobs in the south (where the athletes are) that have great facilities but aren't in the SEC. (Think Clemson, FSU, GA Tech)

What I am afraid of as a Florida fan is Lane Kiffen going there.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:23 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:What I am afraid of as a Florida fan is Lane Kiffen going there.

I think Will Muschamp is the hire. He's a hot name right now , he's got an SEC background (LSU and Auburn) and he's got a pedigree for being a very high intensity coach.

Also, Tennessee looks to be paying out Fulmer's buyout in full. That's $6 million (they have 4 years to pay it out). I think I could live on the beach somewhere for $1.5 million a year.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:08 pm

Hearing rumors of Jon Gruden. This would be awesome for me on 2 fronts ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:40 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Hearing rumors of Jon Gruden. This would be awesome for me on 2 fronts ;-D

:-b :-b

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby knapplc » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:53 pm

Dee, you should send them Bill Callahan's resume. O:-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:54 pm

knapplc wrote:Dee, you should send them Bill Callahan's resume. O:-)

I figure he would be Gruden's first hire as OC :-b ;-)
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:01 pm

effect on recruiting:
Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer was putting together one of the best recruiting classes in the nation before word of him stepping down leaked out Monday morning.

So, what do Tennessee's commitments do? Several say they're sticking with Tennessee. Others say they're taking a wait-and-see approach.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/co ... CID=872010
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to College Football