Week 11 Games Talk - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Week 11 Games Talk

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 11 Games Talk

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:43 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:So at this point what's the difference between LSU and Oklahoma State? Each has only lost to top 3 teams in their conference, and no one else, only LSU has played one more of those teams than OSU.

So, if OSU loses to Oklahoma, does that mean they're a middle of the pack team? Their resume's will be the same, only LSU will have beaten better "other" opponents besides those top teams in each conference, which both teams have lost each game too.

The win over Missouri in Missouri doesnt count as a quality win?

OSU - lost by 4 to Texas, blown out by Texas Tech, beat 2-loss Missouri
LSU - lost by 6 to 'Bama, blown out by Florida, lost by 14 to 2-loss Georgia, has beaten no one of consequence

I see a difference.

Yeah, I remembered that they played Missouri on the drive to work. Too late to edit at that point though since I've gone and gotten the cafe blocked at work :-B. LSU has beaten South Carolina though, who is currently a top 25 team. Not as good as Missouri, but not that far off either. Even most Big 12 homers aren't that high on Mizzou.

Anyway, like I said, this was a hypothetical for if OSU lost to Oklahoma, which would leave us:

OSU - lost by 4 to Texas, blown out by TT, lost to Oklahoma, beat Mizzou
LSU - lost in OT to Bama, blown out by UF, lost to Georgia, beat South Carolina

It'd basically be exactly the same, yet that leaves LSU as barely worth mentioning as a mediocre team in your mind, whereas I'd be willing to bet that (especially prior to reading this) you'd still have had OSU in or at least hovering around the top 15 and be counting them as a quality win.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HskrPwr13 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:25 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:So at this point what's the difference between LSU and Oklahoma State? Each has only lost to top 3 teams in their conference, and no one else, only LSU has played one more of those teams than OSU.

So, if OSU loses to Oklahoma, does that mean they're a middle of the pack team? Their resume's will be the same, only LSU will have beaten better "other" opponents besides those top teams in each conference, which both teams have lost each game too.

The win over Missouri in Missouri doesnt count as a quality win?

OSU - lost by 4 to Texas, blown out by Texas Tech, beat 2-loss Missouri
LSU - lost by 6 to 'Bama, blown out by Florida, lost by 14 to 2-loss Georgia, has beaten no one of consequence

I see a difference.

Yeah, I remembered that they played Missouri on the drive to work. Too late to edit at that point though since I've gone and gotten the cafe blocked at work :-B. LSU has beaten South Carolina though, who is currently a top 25 team. Not as good as Missouri, but not that far off either. Even most Big 12 homers aren't that high on Mizzou.

Anyway, like I said, this was a hypothetical for if OSU lost to Oklahoma, which would leave us:

OSU - lost by 4 to Texas, blown out by TT, lost to Oklahoma, beat Mizzou
LSU - lost in OT to Bama, blown out by UF, lost to Georgia, beat South Carolina

It'd basically be exactly the same, yet that leaves LSU as barely worth mentioning as a mediocre team in your mind, whereas I'd be willing to bet that (especially prior to reading this) you'd still have had OSU in or at least hovering around the top 15 and be counting them as a quality win.

Yes, as of today, I believe OSU is a better than LSU. I dont believe thats affected my rankings. I would think by now I've earned the benefit of the doubt that I keep an open my week to week due to the new information gained by all team's latest results based on how my rankings swing on a week-to-week basis. I feel that LSU was THIS close to that UGA loss being tagged as a blow-out loss in my mind. South Carolina is on my radar, but I've given no team any "big win" credit for a win over a 3-loss team. If SC can go to 8-3 with a win over FLA, I would probably credit LSU with a "big win". That would certainly help LSU in terms of how I currently have them ranked in regards to OSU. Of course if SC does nothing, LSU wins, and OSU loses impressively, they'll stay above LSU, but they'll lose some of their "elite" status in my poll which may have a ripple affect on other teams' rankings.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby HskrPwr13 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:26 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:Absolutely! There would have to be some kind of ridiculous season for me to think that 2 from the same conference should play each other for the title even assumming they didnt actually play each other.

Oh man, I see you don't have a sig. You just getting ready to wear that Gator sig? Kansas is having a tough year. You're really gonna need some help from OSU down the stretch to pull the bet out...

Refresh my memory on which bet I made.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ShoelessJoe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:36 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:Absolutely! There would have to be some kind of ridiculous season for me to think that 2 from the same conference should play each other for the title even assumming they didnt actually play each other.

Oh man, I see you don't have a sig. You just getting ready to wear that Gator sig? Kansas is having a tough year. You're really gonna need some help from OSU down the stretch to pull the bet out...

In Week 4 Rankings and Discussion:

ShoelessJoe wrote:
knapplc wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:
It hurts to be wrong. :~(

And it's almost impossible to argue with the kind of logic I'm using, too. I know it's unfair, but I had to pull out the big guns. I almost went with "I'm rubber, you're glue" but I thought that would be too much.

You wanna do a sig challenge for who does better for the rest of the regular season (Win-Loss determinant)? If Kansas makes it to the Big 12 game that doesn't count since it would be an additional game.

Loser has to wear a Gator/Husker signature for a month after the regular season.

Your PM to me:

knapplc wrote:Subject: Week 4 Cafe Rankings and Discussion

knapplc wrote:Considering that Kansas has the most brutal schedule of the two, I think that would be a sucker's bet for me to take. I don't do sig bets, anyway.

But what the heck. I'm bored. Let's do it. I'll wear a Gator sig for a month, since I'm pretty sure you'll win. But it'll be something different.

Just wanted to make sure you saw this. I'm about 90% sure you'll win this, but like I said - it'll be something interesting.

You still up for this?
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby HskrPwr13 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:24 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
HskrPwr13 wrote:
ShoelessJoe wrote:

In Week 4 Rankings and Discussion:

ShoelessJoe wrote:
knapplc wrote:And it's almost impossible to argue with the kind of logic I'm using, too. I know it's unfair, but I had to pull out the big guns. I almost went with "I'm rubber, you're glue" but I thought that would be too much.

You wanna do a sig challenge for who does better for the rest of the regular season (Win-Loss determinant)? If Kansas makes it to the Big 12 game that doesn't count since it would be an additional game.

Loser has to wear a Gator/Husker signature for a month after the regular season.

Your PM to me:

knapplc wrote:Subject: Week 4 Cafe Rankings and Discussion

knapplc wrote:Considering that Kansas has the most brutal schedule of the two, I think that would be a sucker's bet for me to take. I don't do sig bets, anyway.

But what the heck. I'm bored. Let's do it. I'll wear a Gator sig for a month, since I'm pretty sure you'll win. But it'll be something different.

Just wanted to make sure you saw this. I'm about 90% sure you'll win this, but like I said - it'll be something interesting.

You still up for this?

You got me confused with, Knapp. At least it wasnt Moon or Bagel. ;-D
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ShoelessJoe » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:55 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
You got me confused with, Knapp. At least it wasnt Moon or Bagel. ;-D

Doh... all Nebraska fans look the same.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Mobile1551 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:32 pm

Texas tech is a reincarnation of the 07' Patriots.

Hmm, and if I'm right. Alabama(Giants) will beat the Gators(Cowboys) on their way to beating the Red Raiders(Patriots) in the Superbowl (Championship game). Haha, that would be funny, it all makes perfect sense.

And DONT USE OSU FOR OKLAHOMA STATE! or oregon state
Mobile1551
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby knapplc » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:25 pm

Crap, Shooey, I forgot all about that sig bet. So... January good for you, or should we go with December? :-b I'll even wear a Florida Avvy if you find one.

$20 says I'm going to forget this, too, so PM me when you've got my new clothes.

After the season the Huskers are having, I'm willing to wear a Florida sig for a month. The Huskers even helped you win this by pasting the Jayhawks a couple of weeks ago.

Looks like we could be going to the Gator Bowl now that the Domers lost. It's not guaranteed by any means, but we've got a shot.

:-]
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to College Football