Week 11 Games Talk - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Week 11 Games Talk

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 11 Games Talk

Postby BritSox » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:15 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:You also forgot that they dominated UGA ;-), and you may say that LSU is close to ran status, but they should have beat that Bama team that most have ranked number 1.

Really? Bama looked clearly the superior team to me, and 'should' (whatever that means) have won more comfortably.
"I can't say that. I'd have to say having Ryan Leaf quarterback us to a 1-15 record is probably the biggest challenge."

Rodney Harrison, on whether losing Tom Brady to injury was the greatest challenge he has faced in football.
BritSox
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:35 pm

BritSox wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:You also forgot that they dominated UGA ;-), and you may say that LSU is close to ran status, but they should have beat that Bama team that most have ranked number 1.

Really? Bama looked clearly the superior team to me, and 'should' (whatever that means) have won more comfortably.

It means I watched the game as well and I felt has LSU should have won the game. They had the momentum going into OT after the FG block and had Lee not thrown an INT there it very well could have gone to LSU.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:04 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Husker --

SOS of the 3 teams we were discussing.

Texas 2
Florida 10
Oklahoma 19

This is generated by computers, so there is no bias. These are based on real numbers. Florida has played a tough schedule. Texas should be above Florida right now based on there schedule and what they have done with it, but it's not like Florida has not played a difficult schedule, and to compare it to PSU's is ridiculous IMO.

You also forgot that they dominated UGA ;-), and you may say that LSU is close to ran status, but they should have beat that Bama team that most have ranked number 1.

I think youre letting emotion get the best of you because youre again putting words in my mouth.
1) I did not compare FLA's sched against PSU's. I was comparing the PSU ranking argument against the FLA ranking argument.
2) You're right the computers arent biased. But what criteria are they using? I'll explain
3) My original point was how wacky the AP and Coaches poll were (FLA/OU above Texas). Sound like you now agree? :-S

2) Explanation:
Heres what I see:
Texas: Big Wins - nOklahoma by 10, Missouri by 25, Okie St by 4
Loss - last second 6 point loss at undefeated Texas Tech
The rest - blowout wins over everyone else (Baylor probably the best of the bunch)
Oklahama: Big Wins - Cincinnati by 26, TCU by 25
Loss - 10 point loss to nTexas
The rest - blowout wins over everyone else (Kansas best of bunch)
Florida: Big Wins - LSU by 30, nGeorga by 39
Loss - 1 point loss to Ole Miss
The rest - blowout wins over everyone else (probably toss up between Kentucky, Miami)

In my mind, Texas is clear cut above the other 2. I have the Big Wins between OU and FLA ranked as such: Georgia, TCU, Cincy, LSU (basically even). I dont think that discussion is warranted. The "rest" do favor FLA. I genereally dont go that far unless the "meaningful" games are even, but FLA's also ran teams are overall better than OU's also ran teams if you want to play that card.

If you agree that Texas should be ranked as the top 1-loss team out there then we have little to argue. Like I said before, the OU or FLA argument is pretty much splitting hairs. I'm not near as bullish on LSU as most are and that may be the crux of the argument.

Ultimately, as long as an undefeated/1-loss SEC team plays an undefeated/1-loss Big12 team, I'll be happy.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BritSox » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:53 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
BritSox wrote:

It means I watched the game as well and I felt has LSU should have won the game. They had the momentum going into OT after the FG block and had Lee not thrown an INT there it very well could have gone to LSU.

My point was, what the hell does 'should' mean? I watched the game, and thought that Bama were clearly the more accomplished team, and but for a few bad breaks (like the fumble for a touchback, the stupid cellphone penalty) would have won comfortably. I mean, sure, LSU had the 'momentum,' but they also had an error-prone QB on the field at the death.

You watched it, and felt that but for a few key plays going against them, LSU would have won the game. Which is true of most close games. But I can't say LSU were unlucky at any point- the big plays went against them because Alabama executed well, and LSU didn't.

So really, the whole 'should' thing is meaningless, because it's so subjective. What matters is that 'Bama won the game and are still unbeaten, and LSU lost it and are sliding toward the middle of the pack.
"I can't say that. I'd have to say having Ryan Leaf quarterback us to a 1-15 record is probably the biggest challenge."

Rodney Harrison, on whether losing Tom Brady to injury was the greatest challenge he has faced in football.
BritSox
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:15 pm

Gotta agree there. Should we start talking about how great Kentucky is for almost beating 'Bama or how great the Huskers are for nearly beating Texas Tech?
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:26 am

So at this point what's the difference between LSU and Oklahoma State? Each has only lost to top 3 teams in their conference, and no one else, only LSU has played one more of those teams than OSU.

So, if OSU loses to Oklahoma, does that mean they're a middle of the pack team? Their resume's will be the same, only LSU will have beaten better "other" opponents besides those top teams in each conference, which both teams have lost each game too.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:56 am

Free Bagel wrote:So at this point what's the difference between LSU and Oklahoma State? Each has only lost to top 3 teams in their conference, and no one else, only LSU has played one more of those teams than OSU.

So, if OSU loses to Oklahoma, does that mean they're a middle of the pack team? Their resume's will be the same, only LSU will have beaten better "other" opponents besides those top teams in each conference, which both teams have lost each game too.

The win over Missouri in Missouri doesnt count as a quality win?

OSU - lost by 4 to Texas, blown out by Texas Tech, beat 2-loss Missouri
LSU - lost by 6 to 'Bama, blown out by Florida, lost by 14 to 2-loss Georgia, has beaten no one of consequence

I see a difference.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:57 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Husker --

SOS of the 3 teams we were discussing.

Texas 2
Florida 10
Oklahoma 19

This is generated by computers, so there is no bias. These are based on real numbers. Florida has played a tough schedule. Texas should be above Florida right now based on there schedule and what they have done with it, but it's not like Florida has not played a difficult schedule, and to compare it to PSU's is ridiculous IMO.

You also forgot that they dominated UGA ;-), and you may say that LSU is close to ran status, but they should have beat that Bama team that most have ranked number 1.

I think youre letting emotion get the best of you because youre again putting words in my mouth.
1) I did not compare FLA's sched against PSU's. I was comparing the PSU ranking argument against the FLA ranking argument.
2) You're right the computers arent biased. But what criteria are they using? I'll explain
3) My original point was how wacky the AP and Coaches poll were (FLA/OU above Texas). Sound like you now agree? :-S

2) Explanation:
Heres what I see:
Texas: Big Wins - nOklahoma by 10, Missouri by 25, Okie St by 4
Loss - last second 6 point loss at undefeated Texas Tech
The rest - blowout wins over everyone else (Baylor probably the best of the bunch)
Oklahama: Big Wins - Cincinnati by 26, TCU by 25
Loss - 10 point loss to nTexas
The rest - blowout wins over everyone else (Kansas best of bunch)
Florida: Big Wins - LSU by 30, nGeorga by 39
Loss - 1 point loss to Ole Miss
The rest - blowout wins over everyone else (probably toss up between Kentucky, Miami)

In my mind, Texas is clear cut above the other 2. I have the Big Wins between OU and FLA ranked as such: Georgia, TCU, Cincy, LSU (basically even). I dont think that discussion is warranted. The "rest" do favor FLA. I genereally dont go that far unless the "meaningful" games are even, but FLA's also ran teams are overall better than OU's also ran teams if you want to play that card.

If you agree that Texas should be ranked as the top 1-loss team out there then we have little to argue. Like I said before, the OU or FLA argument is pretty much splitting hairs. I'm not near as bullish on LSU as most are and that may be the crux of the argument.

Ultimately, as long as an undefeated/1-loss SEC team plays an undefeated/1-loss Big12 team, I'll be happy.[/quote]

That is what I think should happen. What I understood from reading, and I guess I am wrong, I though everyone was saying that if TT wins their conference and FLA wins the SEC that TT should play Texas again, or if Texas were somehow to win they should get OK, or if OK were to win they should get to play Texas again. That is where my argument came in. If I understand it now correctly, we agree that if Florida were to win out they should play the winner of the Big 12 that had 1 loss and not the Big 12 play itself again.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:03 pm

Absolutely! There would have to be some kind of ridiculous season for me to think that 2 from the same conference should play each other for the title even assumming they didnt actually play each other.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ShoelessJoe » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:27 pm

HskrPwr13 wrote:Absolutely! There would have to be some kind of ridiculous season for me to think that 2 from the same conference should play each other for the title even assumming they didnt actually play each other.

Oh man, I see you don't have a sig. You just getting ready to wear that Gator sig? Kansas is having a tough year. You're really gonna need some help from OSU down the stretch to pull the bet out...
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

PreviousNext

Return to College Football