Great Recruiting Actually Hurting USC? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Great Recruiting Actually Hurting USC?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Great Recruiting Actually Hurting USC?

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:04 pm

Here is a neat article about USC's great recruiting classes actually hurting them because it has destroyed the Pac-10

Just a few days before Southern California annihilated Oklahoma, 55-19, for the 2004 BCS championship, Pete Carroll talked recruiting with the media.

The Trojans were undefeated and stacked with talent, including the best running back tandem in the country, Reggie Bush and LenDale White. Yet Carroll couldn’t help but get wistful at the rare miss.

“I wanted Adrian Peterson in the worst way,” Carroll said of losing out to OU for the star.

While there is no denying Peterson’s outrageous ability, the idea of adding him to a potent backfield of future pros, where carries were already in short supply, seemed rather, well, greedy.

What would you do with Peterson anyway, Carroll was asked.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... &type=lgns
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Great Recruiting Actually Hurting USC?

Postby ShoelessJoe » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:34 pm

California recruits going to USC according to scout.com:

5 stars - 4/6 (ND, Minnesota)
4 stars - 9/24

There is plenty of talent in California not being gotten by USC.

On another recruiting note, check out this clip of this 4 star TE headed to Auburn. Possibly the smartest play I've seen by a receiver in a long time. Note that this was 4th down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K2OSOZnhqc
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:43 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:California recruits going to USC according to scout.com:

5 stars - 4/6 (ND, Minnesota)
4 stars - 9/24

There is plenty of talent in California not being gotten by USC.

On another recruiting note, check out this clip of this 4 star TE headed to Auburn. Possibly the smartest play I've seen by a receiver in a long time. Note that this was 4th down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K2OSOZnhqc

Plenty of talent, but not the top talent. 44% of 4 and 5 stars going to the same school. Also, 2 out of the top 6 5* aren't going to a Pac 10 school either. I think when you combine the fact that they recruit the best and then win every year it is a deterrent to some players to go to other Pac 10 schools.

I don't entirely agree with the article, but it was interesting.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BritSox » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:42 pm

The notion that no other team in the Pac-10 gets any 5-stars out of Cali should tell you something.

Of course, this wouldn't be hurting SC if, you know, they didn't keep on losing to these less talented p10 teams. You've got a weak schedule. Run it.
"I can't say that. I'd have to say having Ryan Leaf quarterback us to a 1-15 record is probably the biggest challenge."

Rodney Harrison, on whether losing Tom Brady to injury was the greatest challenge he has faced in football.
BritSox
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to College Football