Keeping someone else from getting a QB - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeping someone else from getting a QB

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeping someone else from getting a QB

Postby bacchuspup » Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:54 pm

Okay, I am not the commissioner in my league, and I am not involved in the match up, but something about the following situation stinks to high heaven.

"BT" has Romo and Campbell as his QBs, neither of whom plays this week. "PB" started the week with McNabb, Schaub, Garcia, and Bulger as his QB. He released Schaub, picked up Rosenfels on Wed. So far so good.

On Wed, "PB" picks up QBs Flacco and Hill. Thursday, he picks up QB Ferotte. Friday, he picks up QBs Thigpen, Wallace, and Grossman, and releases Garcia, Ferotte, Bulger, and Flacco. The released players won't clear waivers until Monday. By making these transactions, he has basically assured that BT won't be able to pick up a starting QB. I have no idea why BT didn't get one at the beginning of the week - I guess he was just asleep at the switch.

I seem to recall that this kind of thing - picking up and releasing players just so they'll be unavailable to an opponent - is ethically wrong, but I don't know exactly why or how to express why it's wrong. I also don't know if it's my place to say anything.

Opinion?
bacchuspup
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeping someone else from getting a QB

Postby rmjones101 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:27 pm

First...3 days on the waiver is quite a long time.

Second...OMG! How many bench slots do you have available in your league that somebody could conceivably do that?

Anyhoo... the commish should release those players that were just picked up and dropped without playing them.
rmjones101
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby WaCougMBS » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:45 pm

rmjones101 wrote:First...3 days on the waiver is quite a long time.

Second...OMG! How many bench slots do you have available in your league that somebody could conceivably do that?

Anyhoo... the commish should release those players that were just picked up and dropped without playing them.

Agreed on all counts - I would definitely look to change the waiver time to something more reasonable (like 24 hours) and also shore up the number of bench spots - something like this should not be possible without otherwise crippling your team IMO.

The other guy is just as much to blame for not thinking ahead, but this is totally a busch-league meatball move on Mr. QB Carosel's part...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dupree » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:11 pm

^^ Agree

Total **** move. A stink should be raised and a rule added for next year, and get a handle on those bench spots...roster churning is never acceptable.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bungle613 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:57 pm

As Dupree stated it is called roster churning and is SEVERELY FROWNED upon in FF. Call the guy on it. Your commish should be able to overturn the waiver process and make all the QB's currently on waivers available to the guy getting screwed.

To me it does not matter if it is an existing rule in your league, it is a general rule in FF that you do not do this.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:37 am

Totally agree with Bungle, this is roster churning.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:29 am

I agree with everyone else. This sums it up well:

FatFoot wrote::-t Roster churning is against the rules in almost any league I can think of.

Roster churning is defined as picking up players and dropping them so that they're on waivers and unavailable for other teams.

It's one thing to pick a player up and keep him on your roster so that another team can't use him. It's another entirely to roster churn. If you want to keep someone off an opponent's roster, you should have to eat that roster spot yourself. You'd be given a loss in either of my 2 main leagues if you did that. They have a zero tolerance policy.

;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby bacchuspup » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:54 am

We do have a ridiculous number of bench roster spots - 7. I'm just going to contact the opponent and the commissioner - if neither of them want to do anything about it, then that's the end of it.
bacchuspup
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby dupree » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:33 pm

7 is not an absurd number of bench spots...sounds like this guy is pretty dumb as well as being a dirty player...
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby latsprewell20002000 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:04 pm

dupree wrote:7 is not an absurd number of bench spots...sounds like this guy is pretty dumb as well as being a dirty player...

Yeah i mean he must of dropped some decent players off of his bench right? Seems like this would hurt him more than allowing his opponent for the week pick up a starting QB.
latsprewell20002000
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner