If you had to cut the NFL in half, what teams would you cut? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

If you had to cut the NFL in half, what teams would you cut?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: If you had to cut the NFL in half, what teams would you cut?

Postby dream_017 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:43 pm

stomperrob wrote:I'm with deluxe and spodog - ya don't add by subtraction! We need more teams. Poor fans in LA been waiting for a team long enough.

And how 'bout awarding a frachise to Detroit - poor fans there have been without a pro football team for half a century!!! ;-7 ;-) :-D

Remember there are Lions fans that are Mods, so once I go and find them you are going to be in big trouble mister
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:50 pm

How can people have the Eagles and Browns on their cut lists? :-S These teams are integral pieces of the NFL with long histories. Plus what would the Giants do without the Eagles. They are like our Joker. They complete us. :-b
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:10 pm

stomperrob wrote:I'm with deluxe and spodog - ya don't add by subtraction! We need more teams. Poor fans in LA been waiting for a team long enough.

california has enough teams...how bout we get one in oregon. the closest thing we have is way up in seattle. :-b ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:42 pm

spodog wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:id add more before i cut any. ;-D

Yeah. I'd agree with this. Maybe we can hijack this thread and turn it the other way.

Let's start adding . . .

33 expansion team in Los Angeles in 2010
. why? http://www.bizjournals.com/edit_special/36.html?page=1

34 expansion team in San Antonio in 2010

35 expansion team in Toronto in 2012

36 expansion team in Vancouver in 2012

37 expansion team in Orlando in 2014

38 expansion team in Orange County, CA in 2014

39 expansion team in Salt Lake City in 2016

40 expansion team in Oklahoma City in 2016

Then stop for a decade or so.

At 40 Teams, the AFC and NFC would both have 20 teams, comprised of 4 divisions of 5 teams each. Perfect.

I agree with Deluxe, so I'm modifying the list:

33 expansion team in Los Angeles in 2010
. why? http://www.bizjournals.com/edit_special/36.html?page=1

34 expansion team in San Antonio in 2010

35 expansion team in Toronto in 2012

36 expansion team in Vancouver in 2012

37 expansion team in Orlando in 2014

38 expansion team in Portland in 2014

39 expansion team in Salt Lake City in 2016

40 expansion team in Oklahoma City in 2016
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:13 pm

dream_017 wrote:

And how 'bout awarding a franchise to Detroit - poor fans there have been without a pro football team for half a century!!! ;-7 ;-) :-D

Remember there are Lions fans that are Mods, so once I go and find them you are going to be in big trouble mister

Lol, from someone who sat in the cavernous Silverdome numerous times surrounded by empty seats, I meant that with the utmost sympathy for the long-suffering Lions fans who deserve far better than the Fords have given them.
:-b ;-D

Hey maybe we could kill two birds with one stone - convince the Ford's to move the team to LA, but make 'em leave the team name & uniform colors behind (like they did with the Browns) and then award a Detroit franchise to someone with an iota of common sense!!!
;-7 ;-) :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby dream_017 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:26 pm

stomperrob wrote:
dream_017 wrote:

And how 'bout awarding a franchise to Detroit - poor fans there have been without a pro football team for half a century!!! ;-7 ;-) :-D

Lol, from someone who sat in the cavernous Silverdome numerous times surrounded by empty seats, I meant that with the utmost sympathy for the long-suffering Lions fans who deserve far better than the Fords have given them.

Hey maybe we could kill two birds with one stone - convince the Ford's to move the team to LA, but make 'em leave the team name & uniform colors behind (like they did with the Browns) and then award a Detroit franchise to someone with an iota of common sense!!!

Hmmm, sounds like an interesting plan :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:56 pm

dream_017 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
dream_017 wrote:Remember there are Lions fans that are Mods, so once I go and find them you are going to be in big trouble mister

Hmmm, sounds like an interesting plan :-?

OMG, lol - I hadn't seen that yet - good one! :-b ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby BritSox » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:30 pm

Would say cut each division in half, but then wouldn't feel right dropping any of the NFC East. So here goes, the teams i've kept have generally either been kept for history, to represent a region, or both.

So... keep list...

AFC East

Miami Dolphins (keep one team in Florida, plus the most historically-successful franchise)
New England Patriots (who else would everyone hate, right? Plus have won most SBs out of the 'other three', and are bigger-market than Bills.)

AFC South

Cut the three 'new teams.' Colts, see below.

AFC North

Keep Steelers and Browns.

AFC West

Keep Raiders (anyone who even considers dropping a franchise with that history is joking, surely?) and Chargers (need a team in SoCal). Cut Broncos. See below for KC.

NFC East

Keep the lot. With the Jets being cut, there definitely needs to be a team in NY, the Skins ARE Washington sports, Dallas is a no-brainer, Philly is the closest but it's still a big market and a passionate fanbase.

NFC North

Packers and Bears stay. Obvobv. Other two can go.

NFC South

Keep the Saints. That's it. Carolina don't have the history, and of the other three, I'd pick the Saints to be my bearer of the flag of historic mediocrity. I think they're just more interesting than Atlanta or TB.

NFC West

Keep the Niners, obviously. Get rid of the Cards and Rams.

Which I believe leaves two from three from the SeaHawks, Chiefs, and Colts. I'd keep the Seahawks as the only team in the Pacific Northwest, for divisional balance that makes most sense. That leaves Indy vs KC as the last midwest team, and frankly I'd rather keep the Chiefs. Indy is pretty close to Chicago, whilst it'd leave no teams between Ohio and Texas if the Chiefs were cut.

So your divisions would look like this:

East:

Patriots
Giants
Eagles
Steelers

Midwest:

Bears
Packers
Browns
Chiefs

South:

Redskins
Dolphins
Saints
Cowboys

West:

Niners
Chargers
Seahawks
Raiders

I think that aligns quite nicely, actually. Everyone in the division twice for a total of six, then play ten of the remaining twelve each year on a rotating basis. Only two states get multiple teams- Cali, and Pennsylvania.

Only thing of note is I might prefer a 'Los Angeles Colts' franchise to the Chargers, since you'd have the bigger market, and the Colts' colors line up with the Dodgers.
"I can't say that. I'd have to say having Ryan Leaf quarterback us to a 1-15 record is probably the biggest challenge."

Rodney Harrison, on whether losing Tom Brady to injury was the greatest challenge he has faced in football.
BritSox
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby dream_017 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:23 am

I love how people only look at recent history when deciding to cut teams :-t
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby jetlag » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:40 am

that would make it pretty tough for my 16 team fantasy league,

but i would cut all the teams that play inside and or with the highest december temperatures.
jetlag
Water Boy
Water Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk