If you had to cut the NFL in half, what teams would you cut? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

If you had to cut the NFL in half, what teams would you cut?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: If you had to cut the NFL in half, what teams would you cut?

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:48 pm

Cut the Packers (for obvious reasons) and the Lions for being hilariously bad. Keep the rest.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:36 am

There are 17 of the current 32 franchises that have appeared in 5 or more championship games. There are 16 teams that have 2 or more championship wins. There are 10 teams that have a better than .500 winning % in championship games. There are only 7 teams that fit into all 3 of those categories. Wouldn't you say that those 7 should make the cut? :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby moochman » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:22 am

I think the Pitts/Phillie merger would technically be the Stiggles, no? :-b

What is the point of contraction anyway? If we decreased the size of the league we would still only have one winner each year. Wouldn't the best franchises then become that much better and the marginal ones become weak, or future Lions if you will?

Better answer is to hold owners accountable for the teams lack of competitivness. Say a team is run like Lions for a five year period (remembering that most franchises can be turned around in as little as 3 years) that franchise would be put on probation and every season that team doesn't have a winning record the profits for that season are given to local charities. That would ensure that deadbeat owners like William Clay Ford, for example, wouldn't make any money for putting forth a garbage team.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby dmacblue » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:51 pm

for William Clay Ford, ........read Brown, Mike

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby spodog » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:56 pm

joejlitz wrote:3. Spodog - I never understood why LA is such a "viable" place for another NFL team. Everyone looks at the market size, but does anyone look at their history? They've gotten several chances to support an NFL team and have failed. Why try to shove a square peg into a round hole?

Well, they have failed when measured by the old yard stick of turnstiles.

LA is one of the top media markets in the country, however, and even if the team played 16 away games a year, they would add value to the NFL merely by the increase in ratings in the country's #2 TV market.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:40 pm

spodog wrote:
joejlitz wrote:3. Spodog - I never understood why LA is such a "viable" place for another NFL team. Everyone looks at the market size, but does anyone look at their history? They've gotten several chances to support an NFL team and have failed. Why try to shove a square peg into a round hole?

Well, they have failed when measured by the old yard stick of turnstiles.

LA is one of the top media markets in the country, however, and even if the team played 16 away games a year, they would add value to the NFL merely by the increase in ratings in the country's #2 TV market.

Interesting point. Why the NFL doesn't find a way to make it work in LA is beyond strange. One would think it would behoove the league to have a franchise there yet they insist on wanting some owner to foot the bill for stadium costs plus franchise fees/or relocation. You'd think they could find a better way since it would helping themselves in the long run.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Previous

Return to Football Talk