Sleepers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sleepers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sleepers

Postby fntsyrookie » Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:29 pm

Just want to know how everyone's sleepers are doing for them this year? I picked up Bennett in the 4th round cause a) I'm from Minnesota and I'm biased (doesn't usually bode well in FF) b) I thought he'd bust out this year. Well I've waited long enough and it seems he's coming around nicely. Who are your sleepers and how are they doing? Are they prime time or big time bust? Just curious.
fntsyrookie
General Manager
General Manager

Innovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby terpfan » Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:57 pm

william green and johnnie morton were my sleeper picks this year...

no need to explain how i feel about them! %-6 :-P !+) :~(
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby DUKE » Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:01 pm

I was real big on Travis Henry before the draft and got him. He's been a great pick

Donte Stallworth was another. He's been a victim of the infamous hamstring problem, so he hasn't seen much of my line-up for a while now, but there's still time for redemption.
DUKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerInnovative Member

Postby DraftDodger » Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:14 pm

I'm going to be very honest here and say that this was not my strong point in drafting. I watched very little football last year, so I was mostly dependent on draft cheat sheets and sleeper articles. Most of my success came out of building a solid draft plan and following it. I ignored all of the advice saying to draft Kurt Warner if you couldn't get Faulk, Alexander, or Green, for example. I concentrated on stud RBs first, then WRs, and found QB steals like Tom Brady (Superbowl MVP, let's be real) after most people had drafted their starting QBs.

For sleepers, I made alot of mistakes. I drafted the likes of Johnnie Morton, Brian Finneran, etc., and ended up having to dump them.

I more than made up for my draft day mistakes by watching the games, checking stats, and picking up high potential free agents before they did enough for other people to pay attention. Therefore, I ended up replacing Morton and Finneran with guys like Peerless Price and Marc Bulger.

I'd say my best "sleeper" draft pick was RB Fred Taylor in Round 10 of a Yahoo league draft. I was every bit as thrilled however to get Marshall Faulk with the #4 pick in one autodraft (10 people drafted QBs in Rd 1, trying to get Warner or Garcia, lol). Getting Priest Holmes with the 12th pick in another league was also a big shot in the arm.

My opponents often drafted some late round talent, including Travis Henry in Round 10 and Marty Booker in Round 12.
DraftDodger
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Writer

Postby slowkidz » Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:13 pm

I thought I had it figured out...I grabbed W.Green, Portis, Stallworth, D.Foster and J.Morton....2 for 5 on the sleeper radar...or i guess more like 1.5 of 5...Ah well, that's half the fun of the offseason and drafting. I also went fishing on the Culpepper Xpress...That was a trip I will NEVER EVER do again!!! Ah well, I'm still 1st in two lgs so it doesn't hurt too bad...It's more like a lingering pain, like when u bite ur tongue or when u fall into a big vat of lime-green jello and then a pack of wild aardvarks decide to join in the fun but their snouts get stuck in places they shouldn't be so you fling peanut butter at them but that only excites them more and rabid vampiric bunnies begin nibbling your toes and...well you know how it goes...
slowkidz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:12 pm

my main sleeper was bledsoe.......he's been great.......grabbed him in the 5th round. antoher was chambers but he has been less than impressive................... but my best one was randy mcmichael......until fiedler went down...........The best thing I did on draft day was draft owens over moss........glad I did not fall victim to randy:Ratio

Friendliness: %

Postby Clockerq » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:31 pm

my sleepers were bledsoe, w. green, morton, stallworth and barlow. traded bledsoe for mcnair and owens, dropped green and morton by week 4 and i''m still holding on to barlow waiting for hearst to break down and stallworth. big matchup with my main contender for first place week 13,,he starts brooks,,holding on to dante for that week!!!!!!
Clockerq
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Arlo » Fri Nov 15, 2002 8:22 am

My best sleeper was probably Jamal Lewis, drafted very late when some folks were saying he wouldn't be back at full strength until next season. Portis worked out well, too.

Helped make up for my back-to-back picks of Morton and Glenn. Brilliant...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk