Transitioning to a keeper league. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Transitioning to a keeper league.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Transitioning to a keeper league.

Postby Foxual » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:54 pm

Hey guys,

I run a family and friends league, where we've given some thought about transitioning into a keeper league. Next season, it will be 12 teams. The problem I am facing, however, is that I'm not sure the best way to implement keeper rules. I was thinking: Can keep 2, only one can be a RB, maximum of 3 years kept. Or maybe: can keep 3, only one RB, one must be a rookie.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or can post their league's keeper rules. I'd be interested in seeing how everyone else handles keepers. I'm interested in all aspects, from how many players, how long, how to handle the trading of draft picks, how to award compensatory picks, anything you have.

Thanks. ;-D
Foxual
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Transitioning to a keeper league.

Postby dupree » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:22 pm

There will never be a consensus on this but see this thread which has a good discussion of this very subject as well as the rules from my league based on (nay stolen from) Ant Sports, maybe they will provide you some ideas.

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=238&t=392019
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bobbing_headz » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:15 pm

My keeper league uses a slightly more complex system where you give up the round the player was picked in the year previous. Max is 3 years kept and every year that round increases by 2. First 2 rounds cannot be kept. I.E. You draft a player in round 10. Year 2 you keep him give up a 10th. Year 3 an 8th, year 4 a 6th and then you can't keep him anymore. Also can't keep a guy if you'd have to give up higher than a 1st. We keep the max to 4 players kept to keep things not too chaotic. I feel this system rewards people more for really finding guys deep in later rounds and not just grabbing a stud like Peterson and riding forever.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:02 pm

i agree...there's really no rules...the only thing i strongly reccomend is the 3 year max (or 2 or 4 but something like that)

both of my keeper leagues have the following rules

Keep 3 (any position), 3 year max.
trading of players for draft picks in-season or off-season allowed
one league allows a 4th "redshirt" player. this player must be a rookie THAT WAS DRAFTED (either by you or by another player and acquired by trade) and NOT STARTED all year
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mariners100 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:24 am

My rules for my keeper are pretty interesting (its a pay league BTW).

20 man rosters, we keep between 10-15 players per year. To be eligible for keeper status, you must start the player once in the year and be on your final roster, if the player is added, dropped, or traded their starting status stays (in case you pick them up later).

Each team drafts 5 players in the draft (determined by playoff final standings) and all teams that keep less than 15 players will draft to fill rosters. Draft is all unkept players (now FA) and rookies. 2 IR spots for the year.

Its a little different but it makes it fun, you can't just add hot FA's at the end of the year and have them on your roster. If you want to pick up a player on season ending IR, you have to start them, get 0 points, and then they are eligible.
GOT 6? WE DO!
mariners100
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner