Help -- I need Historic NCAA stats - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Help -- I need Historic NCAA stats

Moderator: Football Moderators

Help -- I need Historic NCAA stats

Postby fin7710 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:58 pm

I am a senior CS major at Union College and I am doing my senior thesis on stat prediction in the football. More specifically, I'm creating a program to predict the first 3 years of a player's NFL stats based on their college stats. The problem I am having is that it is very hard to find historic NCAA data for individual players.

So, does anyone know where I can find historic NCAA D-1 football data from before 1995? A database would be great, but even if its just a website I'm sure I can get the data off of it.
fin7710
Monday Morning Quarterback

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Help -- I need Historic NCAA stats

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:51 pm

fin7710 wrote:I am a senior CS major at Union College and I am doing my senior thesis on stat prediction in the football. More specifically, I'm creating a program to predict the first 3 years of a player's NFL stats based on their college stats. The problem I am having is that it is very hard to find historic NCAA data for individual players.

So, does anyone know where I can find historic NCAA D-1 football data from before 1995? A database would be great, but even if its just a website I'm sure I can get the data off of it.

What statistics more specifically are you looking for?

And just out of curiosity, what is your hypothesis? What are you testing?
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: Help -- I need Historic NCAA stats

Postby fin7710 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:04 pm

I need individual player stats for running back and quarterbacks. Total yards, carries, touchdowns, etc... I got all the data I need back to 1995 from a program called Collegio Football.

To answer your second question, I'm trying to predict stats for RBs and QBs. For running backs, Rushing Yards, All-Purpose Yards, Rushing TDs, Yrds/Carry, and % of games started over 3 years, and Passing Yards, Passing TDs/Ints, Completion %, QB rating, and % of games started over 3 seasons for QBs. I'm building a program and using 3 different machine learning algorithms to train it and then testing to see which is the most accurate.

In reality, I don't expect this to work accurately. If it was this easy, someone would have done it a long time ago. Really, the process is more about building the program and learning rather than making an accurate prediction. But I love football, so it keeps me interested.
fin7710
Monday Morning Quarterback

Return to College Football