Flutie vs Collins - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Flutie vs Collins

Moderator: Football Moderators

Flutie vs Collins

Postby Ottawa Man » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:18 pm

I was actually prepared to start Flutie over Collins. Flutie is one of the most mobile QBs to play the game and has been a consistent winner when he has been started. THe knock on him is that nobody respected him because he is too short (and, lately, too old). Collins is about as mobile as a pylon yet everyone, and I mean everyone, said that as a new FF player I would be laughed out of town if I benched Collins vs Atlanta and started Flutie instead.

The enthusiasm for Collins this past week is a classic example of groupthink and the very limited utility in getting opinion on boards like this. A consensus starts building that so and so is the go to person and then it becomes unstoppable. Never did I see anyone suggest starting Flutie, despite the fact SD obviously has underutilized offensive assets and the fact Flutie has proven himself when given a chance.
Ottawa Man
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Ronald » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:23 pm

...No one had a gun to your head.

If you ask for people's opinions, you'll get them. Collins vs. Atlanta should have been a huge game for the Giants. 99 times out of a 100 people would probably choose Collins over Flutie. If you disagree with the opinions on this board, go with your instinct.

I agree though that after a few people go one way, it's hard to stop the post from getting a little one-sided.
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail. - John Wooden
Ronald
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mannubhai » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:24 pm

Noone can predict a shock. The whole football world would be shocked to know what Flutie did to Vikings.

In forecasting or trend determination, there is an underlying assumption that there is no shock, no surprise in the trend, the trend will hold true.

Fluties awesome performance is a pleasant surprise and a shock to most of us.

Anyone who started Flutie with confidence is a genius. Hats off.
mannubhai
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby whailers » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:31 pm

I agree if you had a gut feeling for Flutie and hated the fact that you listened to the board then shame on you. :-(

Nobody would have made that pick especially with the way the Atlanta pass defense has been. I too got burned by starting Collins and as a result I'm thinking I may just pick up Flutie. If I listen to you then that is hardly a gamble and you'd probably tell me to start Flutie next week? Will I listen? No matter what I wouldn't blame anyone but myself on the outcome.

I have nothing but gratitude for those who offer me advise. Right or Wrong....
whailers
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby mannubhai » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:35 pm

One thing I try to do

I listen to everyones (rather read ) opinions. Get ideas. I highly appreciate that . But I do what I feel right. I call it giving a personal touch to the team. Its my team, afterall.
mannubhai
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Ottawa Man » Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:49 pm

I suppose my point is that people tend to get too caught up in the next big thing. I started Josh Reed for the first few games because he was supposed to have a breakout year when I should have been playing the proven but out-of-favour Keenan McCardell. The facts are that Josh Reed is SLOW. And look at the Vikings. Onterrio Smith was supposed to be the next big thing at the start of the season. And this past week people seriously suggested starting Bennett over Moe for the Vikings which made little sense.

Fortunately I started Moe, LT, McCardell, and Santana Moss this week so should win easily despite the Collins choke. But I note that by the time Santana Moss had become a hot topic on most boards it was too late too pick up him cheaply. I took him off waivers just before week 6 when the newswires indicated that he was finally going to be a true starter for the Jets that week (plus the fact that Santana has blazing speed). So really the secret lies in keeping on top of the FACTS as opposed to so-called expert opinions.
Ottawa Man
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Buckychudd » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:10 pm

Well, the fact is that Collins was averaging 273 yds (the most of any QB) before this game, and Atlanta had the worst (yes, dead last in the league) passing defense.

Up to this time Flutie had played in one quarter so far this year, and hadn't started a game since 2001.....so it seemed like a no brainer to call Collins big in this game. Sorry that we can't predict every game with 100% accuracy like the Fantasy Wizard can.....

But, I agree with you....Flutie has been underrated as a QB since he came to the NFL. He's not the prototypical QB.....short, not very big.....but he wins games.....did in the NCAA, CFL, still is in the NFL.
Buckychudd
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby emaja » Sun Nov 09, 2003 9:16 pm

Flutie is a gamer and a solid QB, but there is no way that you could have possible seen what would happen today between him and Collins.

We just have another example of why they play the games, friends.

BTW, I was one who benched Bulger with confidence and played Collins. It really wouldn't have mattered since I am down by 31 with Driver to play tomorrow.
emaja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Location: Wearing the PB with pride looking for my Bears crack pipe...

Postby moochman » Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:27 am

Flutie is a playa, if you can be one at his height! But Collins was the much better start. Who knew of the motivation that having the threat of Dion Sanders as your next head coach would bring!

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk