Just curious on this..need a little guidance - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Just curious on this..need a little guidance

Moderator: Football Moderators

Just curious on this..need a little guidance

Postby ABA316 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:23 am

An owner did not pay at the draft this year. He was going to catch up with me and has yet to do so..I had reminded him several times and finally around week 3 said he would get it to me by the playoffs. Playoffs are close and I don't think this person will end up getting in top 6 for the big bucks at the very least.

What to do if he doesn't pay by playoffs? Obviously if he wins anything in the losers bracket I would keep the league fee out of it, but here's my real issue..

This guy has several friends in the league who would probably make a scene if I threaten to remove him next year. IMO if he doesn't pay that's what should be done, but assume his team wins enough to cover the fee..do I take the fee out and pay him, and STILL toss him? That's where I'm conflicted.

Leave a link and I'll help you..thanks!
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Just curious on this..need a little guidance

Postby Matthias » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:28 am

If he doesn't pay, he doesn't play. And if he forces you to take it out of playoff winnings, he hasn't paid.

If his friends object them tell them to cover for the deadbeat at the draft next year.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ABA316 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:41 am

I have given people leeway before on when they pay, IE not at the draft, and never had an issue. I guess this will force me to get tougher on it unless someone has some real problems. Another owner was out of work 3 months and has since taken care of the fee.

To clarify, I would only touch playoff $$ for this if the team wins any $$. If not then I have to cover the fee myself, because as commish I HAVE TO PAY WHAT I SAID I WOULD.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby dupree » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:19 pm

You have to be take a hard line in these situations...no $$ by Draft then you don't play[full stop].

If you agree to "loan" a guy the fee so he can draft that is your choice as a personal transaction but the league can't be lax on this for the very situation you describe. In short the "Pot" must be full at the start of the draft.

...if the fee is $100 and he never paid in and by week 10 he is are 0-9 chances are he isn't going to pay...

Probably more of an issue with "internet" leagues than in person, see you at bill's house, leagues but I recommend using the same hard line approach to the fees.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby mariners100 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Im in the same boat with a team in my league. I try to work with people and not require money but I guess I can't trust people to pay when they say they will.

Our league fee is only $20 but its still a Pain when you know someone and they don't pay...

Personally, if I don't get paid I am taking his money out of the winnings after the playoffs... and they are not coming back next year.
GOT 6? WE DO!
mariners100
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby ABA316 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:09 am

If the owner doesn't pay and doesn't win anything, no doubt I'll cover it myself to have a full pot..anything else is just screamingly unfair to the winners and the league as a whole.

Perhaps I'll have to try my best to get payment prior to draft next year, and anyone who drafts without paying will be on a short leash before the team is commissioned. I hate to be hardline where we are all friends to some extent there (work league) but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Even $5-$10 a week/2 weeks would show some effort on the short team's part IMO..I imagine this person with one less night out at the bar or club could have paid this and it would not be an issue.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ABA316 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:32 pm

Update..still the same. Myself and the team in question are both in the "Toilet Bowl" which is teams ranked 7-12 playing in a similar bracket to top 6, winning team receives $50.

Wouldn't you know it, I draw that team first round!
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner