1st place team throws in the towel... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

1st place team throws in the towel...

Moderator: Football Moderators

1st place team throws in the towel...

Postby ArtVandelay004 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:52 am

I am running a 1st year 12 teams keeper league and have run into a problem that I could use some outside thoughts. My team in first place has dropped out the league ( HUGE back story not really wanting to discuss) and with three weeks left in the regular season not wanting someone to walk into a title. The top 5 teams make the playoffs and other 7 teams play for drafting postions for next season.

I have someone that will play out the season with the team and if the team actually wins the league all money would be split up between the 4 owners who teams made the playoffs.

I have a couple owners that want to not allow the team to play in the playoffs if they make it and let the #6 team play in the playoffs. I do not agree with this at all, it opens alot more problems with drafting postions and the biggest is not having the top 5 teams in the playoffs.

Just was wondering if there is something that I am not seeing by letting the quitting team play in the playoffs.
ArtVandelay004
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 1st place team throws in the towel...

Postby ABA316 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:55 am

I don't see what the issue with your solution is at all..someone quit. Someone else wants to take over the team. Done and done. Doesn't matter where the team is in the standings, do it and at least you have a live owner for every team.

Unless the reason that others aren't for this might have something to do with the back story perhaps?
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mariners100 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:07 am

If a team quits, you replace them. Its the same if the team is in first place or last place.
GOT 6? WE DO!
mariners100
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby spodog » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:57 pm

You've already got a pretty good solution in place. If you're rules don't allow for a new owner to take over mid-season or if you're rules don't cover this situation, and your owners are ready to mutiny because they don't agree with the solution, however, another alternative is this:

You post that ghost team's roster here in this forum each week, set up a poll for each position, and let the Cafe vote on who to start on that team. We are all fairly opinionated and also have the advantage of being impartial, since we really don't have any skin in the game regarding who wins your league. If that team makes the playoffs being managed by proxy via the Cafe, so be it. If that team wins first overall, you can then either role the 1st place prize money over to next year (incent return owners) or alternatively, just allocate the 1st place prize $ out to 2nd, 3rd and 4th or however many spots you were going to pay anyway, based upon the payout schedules for those spots.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:00 pm

ABA316 wrote:I don't see what the issue with your solution is at all..someone quit. Someone else wants to take over the team. Done and done.

Bingo. You got it right.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ABA316 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:09 pm

I got to wonder, if it was the last place team how many would have fussed?

Ask that question of the league and see what the responses are..that should give you an idea as to who has what problem with it.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner