It's that time again... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

It's that time again...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: It's that time again...

Postby Guru13 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:00 pm

Nancy!!! :-b Shotguns are nuffin', try puttin' 30 rounds through a .270... :-o

...I had a Long Sleeve T-Shirt on. I'm an idiot.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:09 pm

I'm not up to speed on rifles - can't hunt with them in Indiana so they're not very common. What's a .270 compared to something like a thirty ot six?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Guru13 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:38 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I'm not up to speed on rifles - can't hunt with them in Indiana so they're not very common. What's a .270 compared to something like a thirty ot six?

The round itself is pretty similar, .270 is probably a touch bigger, but it's a hotter round (pending which manufacturer's ammo you buy), which means more powder, which means a bigger kick, and more knock-down power. ;-D

I shoot a Remington 700, it's the sexiest rifle on the planet I think. :-b

Edit: om nom -
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:55 pm

I used to pry the tip off .30-06 shells to get the powder out when I was a kid... lucky I didn't kill myself in the process.

I had to look up the remmy 700. That looks like a sniper rifle!

When you say it's a hotter round - that means (more or less?) 'grain' versus burn rate? which means more muzzle velocity? That sounds like something that could punch through a brick wall.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Guru13 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:31 pm

scottaa1 wrote:I used to pry the tip off .30-06 shells to get the powder out when I was a kid... lucky I didn't kill myself in the process.

I had to look up the remmy 700. That looks like a sniper rifle!

When you say it's a hotter round - that means (more or less?) 'grain' versus burn rate? which means more muzzle velocity? That sounds like something that could punch through a brick wall.

By hotter I mean higher muzzle velocity (unless I've got my thinking wrong, more powder/higher grain = higher muzzle velocity). It's definitely a big round (and it's definitely not overkill, if you shoot where you're supposed to you shouldn't ruin any meat at all), the reason I got this gun was because 80-90% of the shots we take are open field, long shots. Don't get me wrong, I've killed deer at over 200 yards with a .243, but I just don't feel as comfortable with the shot as I would like to, and with this weapon I think I will. The object is to kill the deer as quickly as possible, being real cruel's just not my thing...plus I'd rather have her drop right there in the field instead of running into the woods at the bottom of a big 'ol hill (we have some big freakin' hills in Missouri). :-b

I used to pry the tip off .30-06 shells to get the powder out when I was a kid... lucky I didn't kill myself in the process.

Probably not you're brightest moment...of course, I've done it with shotgun shells, but that's a little different. :-B

Ya, the google images search of the 700 brings up some crazy results, mine is nothing like most of those. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Guru13 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:53 pm

Perhaps a strange topic to bring back up, but I bought me a new weapon a couple weeks ago. It's a lot of fun.

it's a Yugoslavian SKS (this one's not mine, just one I found on the internet, same weapon) - they're a blast to shoot, plus the ammo is really cheap.

I love America. :-b ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:19 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:I'll eat Bambi, but I won't kill Bambi.

That's OK...
I'm pretty sure most hunters are after his dad anyway! :-b

Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:52 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Perhaps a strange topic to bring back up, but I bought me a new weapon a couple weeks ago. It's a lot of fun.

it's a Yugoslavian SKS (this one's not mine, just one I found on the internet, same weapon) - they're a blast to shoot, plus the ammo is really cheap.

I have a Russian one and yeah, they're a thrill to shoot. Got the bayonet like that one, but mine's pretty old so it doesn't have the fancy barrel like that one does. Mine was supposedly used by guards during WWII. Don't know if that's true or not. I have a 30 round banana clip for mine too. Cool thing about these guns, I bought mine when I was 16 and I believe their value is steadily increasing. Bought mine for around $100 I think. Very easy to dis and reassemble too.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Guru13 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:42 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Perhaps a strange topic to bring back up, but I bought me a new weapon a couple weeks ago. It's a lot of fun.

I have a Russian one and yeah, they're a thrill to shoot. Got the bayonet like that one, but mine's pretty old so it doesn't have the fancy barrel like that one does. Mine was supposedly used by guards during WWII. Don't know if that's true or not. I have a 30 round banana clip for mine too. Cool thing about these guns, I bought mine when I was 16 and I believe their value is steadily increasing. Bought mine for around $100 I think. Very easy to dis and reassemble too.

Got mine for $300, Obama being in office has a lot of people scared. That 'fancy barrel' you were speakin' of is actually a grenade launching attachment, however mine is ported so it doesn't function as a grenade launcher, it's known as a "california gun". Ya, assembling/disassembling them is not difficult at all, and although a total paint in arse, cleaning cosmolene out of every nook and cranny of that thing when I got it was a good way to learn the weapon.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to General Talk