Week 11 GC: San Diego @ Pittsburgh - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Week 11 GC: San Diego @ Pittsburgh

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 11 GC: San Diego @ Pittsburgh

Postby dgan » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:02 am

Just my opinion, I guess, but it appears pretty obvious to me that Tomlinson's left foot is at the 26, but his arm is reaching back toward the 25 - it is not where Tomlinson is but which direction the ball travels. From the 25 1/2 where the ball is released from his hand to the the 26 where Chambers catches it is a forward pass.

Sounds like the ref that reviewed the play confused the other refs - they thought he meant the second exchange was forward - since the ball hit the ground after that exchange, they convinced him to rule the play dead (since any forward pass, legal or illegal, that is incomplete results in a dead ball). In fact, it was the first exchange that was a forward pass - and was completed - therefore the play should have continued and the TD should have counted.

Here's the article, although it makes about as much sense as the call....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3707245
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby woodson_28 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:23 am

dgan wrote:Here's the article, although it makes about as much sense as the call....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3707245

Good article.

So, the NFL has no intention to change the ruling on the field and give the TD to PIT, even though the refs have come forward and said it should have counted? Has this type of situation occurred before?
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bobbing_headz » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:51 am

This seems like something that could come back to bite the NFL in the ass. I doubt there is any underlying conspiracy but this blatant miscall plus the fact that there were like 13 penalties on the Steelers to the Bolts 1 could raise some suspicion. I have no idea what the referees were thinking and the call didn't affect the game. My only thinking is the very fact that so much money rides on the outcomes of these games (which I'm sure the refs/NFL are aware of) somehow made the refs over think themselves on this one :-?

Not complaining though. I picked the Bolts :-D
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:14 pm

Its not just tht one play that made the ref's calls seem suspicious. Its a culmination from the whole game itself. The disparity of calls (13-1) in the game seemed odd as well. Pittsburgh could run the sweep left play without a holding being called on somebody. Could not feild a punt without an illegal block in the back, etc. Those penalties kept the game much closer then it should have been. Hines Ward, Troy Polamalu and James Harrison were all studs in this game!!! Its over, I am over it. Point differential is only the 7th tie break in playoff seeding so the W is the only thing I am concerned with.

As a Steelers fan, I have my sights set on the #2 seed and a bye week.... ;-D
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby kiddragonsoft » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:03 pm

What about that holding call on Willie Parker's TD run. It was a bit odd as well. As we all know there's holding on just about every play it's up to the refs to call it or not.
kiddragonsoft
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby moochman » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:10 pm

This surely looks like odd reffing in this game. The amount of money based on a pt spread and all the Stillers penalties, then end the game with a score reversal...hmmm. Gotta wonder who stood to make out on that call. The league should do an expansive investigation. Unless it's a Lions home game, NFL is on TV for all to see. Too many witnesses.

Hard fought win for the Stillers against a mentally challenged (tks Norv) Bolts team. I sure hope all you Stillers fans, heck all football fans, appreciate what a wonderful WR Hines Ward is. ;-D ;-D ;-D
No wonder they named the field after him :-b

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:48 pm

I don't have too much of a beef with the reffing. Sure, they got called for a lot of holds, but replay justified most of them. Heck they might've missed some; that would explain the phenomenon known as the Steelers running the ball well. Sure it would be nice to see Polamalu get credit for the TD, but whatever. At least we get the first 11-10 final in NFL history. :-B

I'll say it again: it sickens me how good this team would be if it had a decent offensive line. That defense is at the most dominant I've ever seen it, the offense doesn't lack talent at the skill positions, and Roethlisberger is still definitely one of the ten best quarterbacks in the league.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:12 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:I don't have too much of a beef with the reffing. Sure, they got called for a lot of holds, but replay justified most of them. Heck they might've missed some; that would explain the phenomenon known as the Steelers running the ball well. Sure it would be nice to see Polamalu get credit for the TD, but whatever. At least we get the first 11-10 final in NFL history. :-B

I'll say it again: it sickens me how good this team would be if it had a decent offensive line. That defense is at the most dominant I've ever seen it, the offense doesn't lack talent at the skill positions, and Roethlisberger is still definitely one of the ten best quarterbacks in the league.

Purely as a steelers fan, this is what you're reaction should be. However, people who lost a lot of money on this game in vegas because that TD wasn't allowed aren't going to think in this manner...

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting