The Vikings - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

The Vikings

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Vikings

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:53 pm

I didn't get to watch the Vikes/Chargers game on Sunday, but I taped it and watched it last night. I have heard a lot of questions about the team and here is what I think about the team.

The Vikings have the most explosive WR in the game and we never throw long. He is one of the fastest guys and we never do a straight down the sidelines, Daunte throw as far as he can, hit Moss on the run play. I really think that we need to throw the long ball more. This may not single handedly win games, but if we would do that it would open the run game even more and Moss would be even better.

I know Daunte is a very good QB but I still think he could be better. Two years ago was one of his best years. he will probably have better stats this year, but here are my complaints:
He is a big (265 lbs) QB and he doesn't run over guys anymore. The coaches have talked to him too much and now instead of lowering his should he either ducks, runs out of bounds, or even slides. He also is afraid to throw picks. Last year he threw way too many and this year he has thrown almost none. But still, he could have more yards and TDs if he would throw the ball into coverage a little. If nobody is open on third down he will throw it away instead of risking a pick. We have one of the most athletic WRs who bulked up this off season to be able to fight for balls and now they never give him a chance to.

Not to knock Daunte, but again he is one of the problems. When he does attemt to run he just kind of stumbles along until he falls. He is 265 but almost all of it is him upper body so when he attempts to run he goes a little bit and if a defensive player gets a hand on him foot he trips and falls. He needs to take dance, or practice, or something to better his coordination. His feet are so un-coordinated it is almost funny watching him run, but when he could lose a game doing it it is not funny.

Moss again is one of the best players in the game but way too much is expected of him. He can play WR awesome, but when I watched the game and was listening to the comentators it was so stupid. I heard them saying, "The Defense has to hope Moss can do good, he is there last hope." No kidding, that is what they were saying. Moss is good, but he can't play Defense. Our D is one of the worst in the league. Who knows, maybe Moss should play D. We have nothing to lose. It is not any specific thing, I don't know where to start with our D. We are just down right pathetic on defense. We can't stop anybody. The Chargers scored their first 4 times with the ball. That is like a record. I am just happy we don't have to play the Rams or it would be one high scoring game and I think they would win because I think they could stop us more than we could stop them. Our rush D is especially bad. To the RBs that run it up the gut on draws our D looks stellar, to the guys like Portis, Green, and LT that run to the outside and are fast and have moves we can't stop. Our D can tackle, but get juked out of their jocks very easily. Flutie lost a couple guys on a couple runs, a QB deked out the defensive backs and linebackers. That is pathetic. I hate to say it, but I am almost worried about the game against the Raiders. They stink, we have been looking almost worse.

I have heard a couple people talking about Super Bowl hopes for us, yes everybody has a chance, but I am definitely not holding my breath. I really don't think we have the defense to compete with the better teams.

Please tell me of I am wrong.

(my hands hurt from typing now :-o )
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby yoda83 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:30 pm

unfortunately, you're not wrong. minnesota is not an elite team, regardless of the record. they've made huge strides since last season and that'll probably carry over to next year. but like you said, dont hold your breath waiting on that super bowl.

about moss: the dude has definitely matured this year and he seems more dedicated to his profession. and he is one of the most atheletic WRs in the game. but until he incorporates route running into his game, he will never be the best WR in the nfl. pinning your teams' hopes on a guy running downfield and jumping up and making grabs is not a recipe for a superbowl. b/c of moss' and culpeppers' talents, minnesota can still win a good amount of games w/ that formula. but during the course of a playoff/superbowl march, good teams will destroy that gameplan.

also, the vikes probably need another leader/strong personality to emerge. even w/ the maturity of moss, i wonder how his team really feels about him in a leadership role. for instance, i saw some things in his body language during the GB game that made me think of a pouting 12 year old. im not saying he wasnt playing hard and i know that was his frustration coming out, but if you look at other "leaders" of teams, you just get a more professional vibe than what moss is putting out. but i imagine that will change as moss gets older.

i am interested to see how this group holds up under the current circumstances. if they can preserve their unity, it will really help their chances at a SB shot next year. and hell, maybe even this year. there's still a lot of time to turn things around.
yoda83
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

comments

Postby blueonion » Mon Nov 10, 2003 4:43 pm

The hardest thing to do as a football fan is to comment on wide receivers. Because of the limited television angles it is impossible to sit at home, watch television and then say 'a team should throw to this guy more' or 'they should throw it downfield more'. It is the same thing as watching a movie and trying to critique an actor who got edited out of every scene.

*** I read an article a few weeks back that exemplies this point. These premadona (sp??) wide receivers saying "I am always open" or "throw it up, I'll go get it" crap. Because of the limited television angles for down field activity, we (as observers) have no choice but to believe these wide receivers. Could you imagine a running back trying to get away with this mentality; "They should give me the ball more, I can take it to the house every play."...sure you could Mr. Running Back, as soon as you pulled Ray Lewis' cleat out of your chest.

This also goes for quarterbacks. With the limited television angles, viewers can really only comment on a handful of plays a game.

Those who watch Jaws on Monday Night Matchup understand this. Until one has access to the film of each game from different angles, its hard to really dissect what are bad decisions and what are good decisions.

The BlueOnion
blueonion
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby foreverabearsfan » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:00 pm

all very good points -

about watching WRs:
i think it would be cool if they used that sky-cam a LOT more. not every down but replay it after good plays. it really gives you a QB perspective, like in a video game. why do you think video games use that angle? because it is the most comprehensive. this way, you can watch the O line create holes, you can watch what LBs do, you can see the WRs routes, and so forth. you could even make the same reads the QB does.

you are right about daunte. needs to be more daunting. he weighs more than most LBs i mean geez! i used to see him run over guys.

i think moss had a concussion, which is why he wasn't himself. i think he is serious about winning and will do what he can.

i have resigned myself to cheering for the entire NFC north. so go pack and go vikes! i think both of them can go far
foreverabearsfan Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Redskins Win » Mon Nov 10, 2003 5:01 pm

Hey Zimm isn't that ugly mugg suppose to have a bag over it ;-D
Image[/quote]
[size=14][b]Letters from the procupine, they'll stick straight through you.
So read one anytime you think you've made mistakes.[/b][/size]
Redskins Win
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Wesley Walker » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:03 pm

Seems to me like the Minnesota offense should be pointing the finger at the Minnesota D. I hope they're not for the sake of locker room morale, of course, but the offense scored about 80 points in the past three games. That should be enough.

The things that had to be improved upon from last year were turnovers on offense and both run and pass D on the other side. Especially the secondary. Culpepper, who bore a lot of the responsibility for the turnovers last year has been an animal. It's the D that needs to step it up.

This is not to say utilizing Moss more in every game won't help. And maybe more importantly, establishing the run with either Moe or Michael would keep the D off the field and use the clock to their favor.

Zimm, I commend you. If I don't watch a game my Jets lose while it's unfolding live, then I don't watch it. It's a blood-pressure or anger management thing, I guess. If I know they've lost, I won't subject myself to it.
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Mon Nov 10, 2003 7:50 pm

Redskins Win wrote:Hey Zimm isn't that ugly mugg suppose to have a bag over it ;-D

I decided it was too ugly and I didn't have a PB match going. I don't know why I shouldn't have Moss' pic up there, he had a good game.

I agree with you to a point onion, and bears fan. It is hard to critique WRs, but I still don't see why they don't throw deep anymore. Back in the 90s and like 2001 they would run Moss as far as he wants and the QB would throw it as far as he could. It worked. Almost nobody can out-leap Moss. I don't see why they don't do that anymore. A couple years ago they kept saying how strong Daunte's arm is, he could throw 80 yards. Why don't they try? It is not like it would hurt. if it is third down, what difference does it make if you throw it 50 yards and it is picked than if you would miss the conversion and punt it 50 yards? Bears fan, I agree about the camera. They always make it sound so great the Skycam and the other one. Both ABC and ESPN have them. They make it sound so great but they never use the dang thing. I wish they would leave the angle like that.It would be much more enjoyable as a fan. It would feel more like a video game and you would be able to get more of the in game feel. I wish they would give a different view during games. it is always the same one.

I do think Moss is the leader and is much more mature. He is awesome and can compete with the best WRs. If they would teach him how to run a little better routes he could easiy be the best. He may be the leader but again, he can't play defense. Our D is too bad to compete with the better teams. I am not looking forward to the week we play the Chiefs. I just hope they lose a game before then.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Guest » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:34 pm

well as an unbiased approach for the next 5 minutes. Your right. Green just out-ran and out juked the vikings defense;if there is such a thing. After watching some analysis on ESPN. The vikings defense has a pretty weak LB spots. Hovan is quite intense but in the worst of times not even spirit can save you. They have allowed the same amount of points in the last 3 games as much as they allowed in the first 6. I have Moss for FF and Love it. Now that David Boston I might drop Moss and pick up Santana Moss. Anyway I agree with you. Turning on Bias in

Friendliness: %

Postby Wesley Walker » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:45 pm

Yeah well Chris Hovan's hair is the coolest since the days of Jim McMahon and Boz.

Hey guest, I think you're a week behind. You do mean Ahman Green, right?
Wesley Walker
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 2)

Postby VHawk15 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:49 pm

I still think the Vikes are very much a Super Bowl contender. They just were a victim of the Flutie Magic this week.

The more you can increase fear of drugs and crime, welfare mothers, immigrants and aliens, the more you control all the people. -Noam Chomsky
VHawk15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk