Not your typical veto question - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Not your typical veto question

Moderator: Football Moderators

Not your typical veto question

Postby MrDaveyHavoc » Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:40 pm

Recently an issue came up with a league that I am the commissioner of that I wonder if you all could explore. A team manager that lost interest in the league decided to trade off his entire roster, proposing some very unbalanced trades. 3 such trades were proposed by him and accepted. All three were unbalanced. (Tomlinson, Bowe, and Chris Johnson for Mark Bradley, Robbie Gould, and Brady Quinn was the third one, to give you an idea of the disparity.) Then something interesting happened. The first two were accepted, however the third was vetoed. All three had, in my opinion, the same degree of one-sidedness; the owner was clearly just looking to empty out his roster and the other owners he proposed the deals to considered it foolish not to accept. The question in my mind is, why did the league veto the last trade without also vetoing the first two. The owner of the team benefiting in the vetoed trade has asked me to step in and either allow all three or reverse all three. I am not sure what to do here, as it seems to me all of this was done within the league rules, however it just seems fundamentally wrong to veto one but not the others. What I HAVE learned is to keep the veto power to the commissioner rather than give it to the league in future leagues. Let me know what you all think. Thanks in advance
MrDaveyHavoc
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Not your typical veto question

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:50 pm

Did you talk with the manager who "lost interest?" If you feel that he really is not trying to improve his team through the trades, and that he is just dumping players away, then I suggest that all three trades should be vetoed. Is the manager definitely out of playoff contention? And do you know the people in the league well? If you are sure that the manager doesn't care about the league, IMO those trades shouldn't be allowed.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Matthias » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:52 pm

Well, you're kind of caught in your own rules. If you have league voting, which is what it sounds like it is, then two trades are therefore OK and one is vetoed. You can appeal to the owners who got the first two trades to undo them and trade back, but once you've let people vote, you have to live with the consequences. Tell the third owner he's out of luck, same as everyone else in the league who didn't get a super friendly deal proposed to them. And then next year you can talk about going to commissioner, or a panel, or whatever.

So spodog: Tomlinson, Bowe, and Chris Johnson for Mark Bradley, Robbie Gould, and Brady Quinn by an owner who has stopped caring.... that makes 6?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby spodog » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:23 am

Matthias wrote:
So spodog: Tomlinson, Bowe, and Chris Johnson for Mark Bradley, Robbie Gould, and Brady Quinn by an owner who has stopped caring.... that makes 6?

As Mrdaveyhavoc said, this is not your typical veto question. The scoreboard has been updated, thank you ;-D

As you point out, this guy appears to be a victim of his own league rules. Looks like they'll be drafting some better rules in their offseason.

=============================
Scoreboard (from 2004 to 2008):
=============================
Number of times this board has had a post containing a vetoable trade: 6
Number of times this board has had a post containing a trade that should not be vetoed: 5,281
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:02 pm

blech...that's why i hate the "rules are rules" approach...you cant forsee every situation, and in times like that you need a commish to make an impartial decision...but since, "rules are rules" i guess let it go and next year form a trade committee
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:52 pm

Can you post all 3 deals?

It is within your rights as a commish to veto all 3. It is unfair to allow 1 garbage deal through and not all 3. Explanation is simple, owner no longer cares making the deals invalid.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby dupree » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:08 pm

As commissioner you dropped the ball by not perking up with the first deal.

I don't have any advice on cleaning it up...other than to have this same conversation with the teams NOT INVOLVED in the BS deals.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:29 pm

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious, the next move you should do is to tell the owner who basically ruined the league for everyone else that he's been traded for an owner to be named later as you've "lost interest" in having him be part of your league next year.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ABA316 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:42 pm

Depends on a couple things:

Do you have a written constitution? If not you need one first off.

Second if it addresses making moves only to improve one's own team (as the one in my league does) you can all 3 trades under that rule.

If it doesn't or you don't have a rule, you're stuck with what's happened.

The veto system, is it league owners? If so then I would say that what the league has decided on each separate trade is set in stone. Perhaps someone else is upset that they couldn't get to the firesale?
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Script-Ohio » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:12 pm

I'd probably reverse all the deals and you should have prevented them in the first place. Whether it's "league votes" or not. And I'd certainly make it clear that the one owner will not ever be in the league again.
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner