So let me get this straight... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Pittsburgh Steelers

So let me get this straight...

Moderator: Football Moderators

So let me get this straight...

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:53 pm

Yeah, I know, the Steelers beat the Chargers, but one piece of their strategy seems puzzling to me.

At the start of the game, they had Gary Russell, whose strength is known mostly as being a power runner, returning kickoffs. Conversely, they decided that Mewelde Moore, a third-down back known for his receiving and return abilities, in at the goal line.

They figured out that Moore doesn't work as a short-yardage guy the hard way, but when are the Steelers going to realize that fast guys are much better at returning kicks than slow guys?
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: So let me get this straight...

Postby Munboy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:50 pm

Still think Russel returning kickoffs was bad idea?
Honestly, he's done better on kickoffs than the "fast" guys. Its really just a new way off looking at it. Instead of having a fast guy try to run around the other team, Russel just runs through them...and it's worked out pretty good so far.

I do disagree with Moore as the goalline back. he's not exactly a pounder. They corrected that this week ;-D
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Re: So let me get this straight...

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:55 pm

Munboy wrote:Still think Russel returning kickoffs was bad idea?
Honestly, he's done better on kickoffs than the "fast" guys. Its really just a new way off looking at it. Instead of having a fast guy try to run around the other team, Russel just runs through them...and it's worked out pretty good so far.

Yes, I still think having a guy return kicks when he ranks 34th in the league in kick return average is a bad idea. He hasn't done better than the fast guys that almost everyone else uses. Maybe the Steelers should take a tip from the rest of the league and not use their goal line back as their kickoff returner.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Return to Pittsburgh Steelers