Should this owner be asked back next year - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Should this owner be asked back next year

Moderator: Football Moderators

Should this owner be asked back next year

Postby J_rob_the_ Baller » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:21 pm

Here is what happened in my league. When a player gets cut, he goes on waivers for 2 days and cant be picked up. Once he clears and is a free agent, he can be picked up any time.

The guy who own Portis did not have a Healthy RB to put in place of him had Portis not played. On Friday night, the guy who was facing him went and picked up and then dropped EVERY rb on the free agent pool who had any chance of seeing carries sunday, basically garunteeing that if Portis was a no go, this guy would have no RB to put in his place.

Now, Portis played, so its a pointless arguement at this point, but I dont know that I like that.

I run the league, and am considering not asking this guy back for next season.

What are everyones thoughts on this?

"He walks amoung us, but he is not one of us."
J_rob_the_ Baller
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Should this owner be asked back next year

Postby aaawall91 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:33 pm

First,
You've been here awhile, check out Commish's Corner ;-D

Second,
Unless it states something like that and can be pretty soundly argued, or has happened before and there was a warning given of what would happen if it happened again, or he has had an incident before. I'd give him a warning, the league a warning, and move on.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 63)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:24 pm

aaawall91 wrote:First,
You've been here awhile, check out Commish's Corner ;-D

Second,
Unless it states something like that and can be pretty soundly argued, or has happened before and there was a warning given of what would happen if it happened again, or he has had an incident before. I'd give him a warning, the league a warning, and move on.

i agree...definately a Bush League move but kicking him out is a little harsh...but i would give him (and the league) a warning that similar moves will result in removal from the league
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bungle613 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:37 pm

It's roster churning and is a big no no in FF. It is possible if he is new to the FF world he did not know, I would tell him that this is severely frowned upon and would add it to your league rules officially but as for tossing him, maybe, maybe not. Would depend on the back story.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Kilroy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:47 pm

bungle613 wrote:It's roster churning and is a big no no in FF. It is possible if he is new to the FF world he did not know, I would tell him that this is severely frowned upon and would add it to your league rules officially but as for tossing him, maybe, maybe not. Would depend on the back story.

Agreed, although I'm inclined to think he knew exactly what he was doing, and if he churned intentionally I'd have little problem showing him the door.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby bungle613 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:59 pm

Kilroy wrote:
bungle613 wrote:It's roster churning and is a big no no in FF. It is possible if he is new to the FF world he did not know, I would tell him that this is severely frowned upon and would add it to your league rules officially but as for tossing him, maybe, maybe not. Would depend on the back story.

Agreed, although I'm inclined to think he knew exactly what he was doing, and if he churned intentionally I'd have little problem showing him the door.

I would certainly lean this way as well but if it is a league with some buddies like the way some of started back in the 90's then he may be oblivious to roster churning and just think of it as a strategy. I didn't know the term until I got online.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby hermitkendle » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:40 pm

I have to first say he did all he could to get a win and yes it is shady, but appearently within the rules. Do i agree with it no! I would have to say I would give him a warning nd that is all. He did not break any rules, he was shady but did not break any rules. Tell him that he will be removed the next time. But in truth he used all the things he could to get a win, I really wish some in my leauge would try to win that hard. Also if he did it then the commish needs to change the rules, that way he can't do it again. Myself I think it was a brillant move to try to get a win but I would never do it... He is a owner that really wants to win and I commend him on his willingness to try to win. But, he was using a very shady way to win....
hermitkendle
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:49 pm

I would do two things.

1) Issue a public warning to the owner and the league that bush-league moves are not what you're about and not what the league is about.
2) Tell the offending owner that his waiver-wire agent is really tired from last week and so won't be able to process any of his requests this week.

If it happens again, then give him the boot.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby dupree » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:22 pm

Have to agree with most of the above. It is a pretty much universal no-no, and is considered by most cheating, as opposed to what one of the above posters thinks.

I would first warn the guy and the league that it will not be further tolerate, create an explicit rules in the league by-laws for next season which clearly explains what "churning" is a violation and carries a heavy penalty, i.e. forfeiture of the current weeks game and expulsion for repeated performances. I imagine that after the warning there will not be any further issues but better safe than sorry.

Some rules mentioned here and elsewhere list a few ways to combat this:
1) limit the # of waiver wire/FA moves either for the season or week to week
2) impose a "cost" for each Waiver/FA move
3) Have players "clear" waivers, in addition to the normal mid-week wavier process, Sunday morning at 7am and bypass the waiver period for any drops made on gameday.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Eagle Baseball » Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:30 pm

don't leagues have a setting where if a player is picked up and NOT kept for 24 hours that he does not need to clear waivers if he is dropped within those 24 hours?
Eagle Baseball
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 15)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner