"League Points" Scoring System? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

"League Points" Scoring System?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: "League Points" Scoring System?

Postby FFisLife » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:45 am

dream_017 wrote: ... You want victory points, but then H2H once it gets down to playoffs, why?

No, actually I personally would like the Victory Points to apply to the playoffs as well. I was just trying to make a point related to the example I provided since it was a traditional Playoff format last year.

dream_017 wrote:...H2H is the fun of FF, and I will not stray away from that even if I was the second highest scoring team all year and played the highest score and finished 0-13.

I agree that H2H is the fun of FF that's why I like the Victory Points scoring system. It keeps the H2H aspect in tact while at the same time making sure that a good team doesn't get screwed.

The Lung wrote:And while that is a bit of an exaggeration, that shows the major philosophical difference that for whom the Victory Point system appeals to.

Intuitively something seems very very wrong to a lot of fantasy football participants when you're the points leader at the end of the year and yet miss the playoffs because you were the 2nd or 3rd highest scoring team many weeks out of the season.

While H2H may be the fun of FF for some, helping to remove an element of luck from fantasy football (which already has luck as a huge component) makes FF *more* fun for many of us. ;-D

I couldn't have said it better! ;-D
QB ---- Rodgers
RB ---- SJAX, Jones-Drew
W/T -- T.O., Wayne, Fitzgerald, Marshall
K ------ Elam
Def ----Tenn

8 Team PPR League
Starters: 1 QB, 2 RB, 4 W/T, 1 K, 1 DEF
FFisLife
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Postby dream_017 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:21 am

FFisLife wrote:
The Lung wrote:And while that is a bit of an exaggeration, that shows the major philosophical difference that for whom the Victory Point system appeals to.

Intuitively something seems very very wrong to a lot of fantasy football participants when you're the points leader at the end of the year and yet miss the playoffs because you were the 2nd or 3rd highest scoring team many weeks out of the season.

While H2H may be the fun of FF for some, helping to remove an element of luck from fantasy football (which already has luck as a huge component) makes FF *more* fun for many of us. ;-D

I couldn't have said it better! ;-D

You guys mean the point were we have pretty much proved the point that standings(at least the teams that make the playoffs) don't change very much with victory points ;-7

That's alls I'm saying. Everyone looks at a couple weeks, but for the most part things play out based on points, sure there will be little quirks once in a while, but the teams that should make the playoffs do. Everyone wants to change the system once it happens to them, but they don't look back at the schedule and see that if their RB didn't score 3 TDs, they would have even been close to the 2nd or 3rd highest score that week...or close to the top scoring team overall. I see no problems with H2H and this new system doesn't change anything enough to be used in my opinion.

and it is not an exaggeration. There are weeks that I win, when I should too, but nobody seems to complain when they are the second lowest score but play the lowest scoring team. It all works out in the end and over time.

Thanks for the discussion guys, but I don't think this little system will catch on ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 58)

Postby FFisLife » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:22 pm

dream_017 wrote:... I see no problems with H2H and this new system doesn't change anything enough to be used in my opinion.

and it is not an exaggeration. There are weeks that I win, when I should too, but nobody seems to complain when they are the second lowest score but play the lowest scoring team. It all works out in the end and over time.

Thanks for the discussion guys, but I don't think this little system will catch on ;-D

Even if it only changes the outcome of a league 1 out of 10 times that's still enough to make a case for it. It's basically like this... I would be willing to bet that if you gave FF players the question below followed by the two options provided, they would pick option B every time:

If you play Fantasy Football with Friends and/or for money, please pick the kind of league you would most like to join?

Option A - League ABC: This league is for the Gambler and those who don't mind seeing less superior teams finish ahead of their team. If you want to play in a H2H style format against your friends, with a scoring system that's fair 90% of the time, then this league is for you. If you like taking the chance of having the highest scoring team in the league and still not making the Playoffs, then sign up for this league now!

or

Option B - League XYZ: This league is for the average Joe and those who can't rely on their good luck all the time to overcome a flawed scoring system. If you want to play in a H2H style format against your friends, with a scoring system that's fair 100% of the time, then this league is for you. If you want to make sure that your league highest point scoring team makes the Playoffs, then sign up for this league now!

For the few people that might pick Option A, I guarantee all that it would take to move them to Option B is to be the one that gets screwed.

Bottom line...I respect your opinion and your viewpoint on this issue but I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. ;-)
QB ---- Rodgers
RB ---- SJAX, Jones-Drew
W/T -- T.O., Wayne, Fitzgerald, Marshall
K ------ Elam
Def ----Tenn

8 Team PPR League
Starters: 1 QB, 2 RB, 4 W/T, 1 K, 1 DEF
FFisLife
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The Lung » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:48 pm

dream_017 wrote:but I don't think this little system will catch on ;-D

That is about the only thing I still disagree with you on. You can prefer your H2H leagues (with luck built in) all you want, but I have the feeling that if more people knew about the Victory Points system and it was available on more league hosts than just Antsports and Myfantasyleague.com (and especially, available on free sites such as Yahoo, Fleaflicker, NFL.com, CBSSports, ESPN, etc.) it would catch on like wildfire and be the system of choice by a wide margin. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:53 pm

stupid league points system...i lost the Division (cash prize) and 1st round bye by 1 Victory Point even though i had more wins

it didnt help that i lost to the guy who finished ahead of me this week and posted a bottom 4 score, still irks me though
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Lung » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:59 pm

The Lung wrote:I'm also in a new dynasty league this year with Victory Points, and I'll be sure to report what the outcome is once playoffs are determined. (Along with the previously referenced dynasty league)

As promised, here are this year's results:

Dynasty League A (4th year in existence)

Victory Points really had a noticeable effect this year. Last year a 6-7 team made the playoffs over a 7-6 team (the commish) because of Victory Points and I thought that was something. But this year, a 7-6 and a 6-7 team made the playoffs over a team with a 8-5 record!

But with only 1499.35 points on the season versus both of the other teams scoring over 1700 total points, the former team is arguably a weaker team and does not belong in the playoffs. This team should not benefit from several "cheap" H2H wins. Every manager in the league including the 8-5 team is perfectly happy with this result.

Dynasty League B (1st year in existence)

All 6 teams with winning records (7-6 and up) made the playoffs. All 6 teams with losing records (6-7 and worse) did not.

Victory Points did have one notable effect in that two teams are seeded higher in the playoffs than another team despite a worse H2H winning percentage. But with 160+ and 120+ more total points scored, that is not unreasonable.

;-D

Imo, the Head-to-Head Victory Point Scoring System is clearly a superior scoring system which helps to eliminate the vagaries of the H2H schedule and remove an element of luck from fantasy football. (which already has luck as a huge component in it) My only regret is that the system is not more widely available on free sites such as Yahoo, Fleaflicker, NFL.com, CBSSports, ESPN, etc.

In fact, it's almost got me to the point where I am ready to swear off standard H2H leagues altogether. Especially since I ended up missing the playoffs in one league with 148.73 and 96.09 more total points on the year respectively than two other teams, but with one less win. :-t
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Previous

Return to Football Talk