Romo = Class Act - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Romo = Class Act

Moderator: Football Moderators

Romo = Class Act

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:34 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3714369

Tony Romo made one man very happy, and it had nothing to do with throwing touchdowns.

The Dallas Morning News reported on Wednesday that the Cowboys quarterback took a homeless man to the movies recently.

The man, who goes by Doc, was outside a theater in in Dallas when a man came up and offered to pay his way to see a movie. Planning on passing out fliers for a consignment store across the street, Doc declined. But then he realized that he had just turned down Romo.

He ran across the street, asked for the day off and ran back to the theater. Romo and Doc ended up sitting together watching the movie "Role Model." Doc told the newspaper that he informed Romo that he hadn't showered in days.

"Don't worry about that," Romo said, according to the newspaper. "I'm used to locker rooms."

Wish we could read more stories like this rather than the constant negative barrages about Pacman Jones or Larry Johnson.
QB- M. Vick
WR- J. Jones, M. Colston
RB- R. Rice, J. Charles
TE- A. Hernandez
FLEX- D. McFadden, F. Jackson
K- G. Zuerlein
DEF- Miami

B- T. Romo, J. Kerley, K. Hunter, V. Ballard, D. Thomas, B. Myers, S. Suisham
BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Romo = Class Act

Postby dream_017 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:38 am

I like when we get some of the feel good stories here at the Cafe ;-D Say what you will about Romo, but that was a very gracious gesture and should be done and heard about more from professional athletes ;-D
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:57 am

Let me be the cynic and go ahead and call me a hater but this is a pile of ... spin. So strange how stories about tire changing and going to the movies with homeless people continue to make it to the media, no? Somebody is working awful hard to repair Romo's media image for whatever reason. }:-)
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:59 am

Repair it from what?
QB- M. Vick
WR- J. Jones, M. Colston
RB- R. Rice, J. Charles
TE- A. Hernandez
K- G. Zuerlein
DEF- Miami

BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dream_017 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:21 am

Amazinz wrote:Let me be the cynic and go ahead and call me a hater but this is a pile of ... spin. So strange how stories about tire changing and going to the movies with homeless people continue to make it to the media, no? Somebody is working awful hard to repair Romo's media image for whatever reason. }:-)

Of course this may be a stunt or whatever, but in the grand scheme it is still something better than all the bad stories that we hear non-stop. Whether it was a stunt or not, it still made this guy feel good. Are there chances that they look into this guy and he actually does have a home and make a decent living sure, but we always hear about a bad story the second it hits...and sometimes those don't turn out to be a bad as first reported either. Overall good to get stories like this out there and shed some light on the target group (in this case homeless people)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby Amazinz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:25 am

Hmm... Bronx we need to get you out of that cave for a night on the town... :-b
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:30 am

Amazinz wrote:Hmm... Bronx we need to get you out of that cave for a night on the town... :-b

Did I miss something? The dude is banging Jessica Simpson. He already was my role model. O:-)
QB- M. Vick
WR- J. Jones, M. Colston
RB- R. Rice, J. Charles
TE- A. Hernandez
K- G. Zuerlein
DEF- Miami

BronXBombers51
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby dmacblue » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:57 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
Amazinz wrote:Hmm... Bronx we need to get you out of that cave for a night on the town... :-b

Did I miss something? The dude is banging Jessica Simpson. He already was my role model. O:-)

No freakin kidding Bomber :-b

I think Tony Romo is a top quality guy, this story following on from Week 1 when he stooped on the Dallas freeway to fix the tire for an old couple who were stuck on side of road in dead of night. Absolute sterling stuff ;-D

Warrick Dunn is another wonderful man for all the hard work he has done and charities he has helped. I AM SURE THERE ARE MANY OTHERS.

Compare these guys to the pondlife of Pacman, Vick, LJ, Henry, Marshall, Frostee, Pittman, Tank etc.

Why on earth would anyone need to spin a story for Romo :-? Id love to come back in the next life as Romos fingers :-b

I hate the Cowboys with a passion, but Romo his piece of fluff and her sister are welcome at my Sunday backlawn NFL Bar n Grill anytime....as are most of you guys!! ;-D

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby Amazinz » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:07 am

You guys need a villain in order to make this thread not suck and I have no problem playing that role. I really do like to hear about the positive charity work NFL players do. Contrived leaks to the media, not so much. ;-)
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby moochman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:20 am

Amazinz wrote:You guys need a villain in order to make this thread not suck and I have no problem playing that role. I really do like to hear about the positive charity work NFL players do. Contrived leaks to the media, not so much. ;-)

I'll go even further. And this may not be a reflection of a publicity stunt as much as it could show real naivette on Romo's part. He may have thought he was doing a good thing, but so unlikely that the press would have lucked into the story, no?
Most likely a publicity stunt, and a poor one. Taking a bum to the movies may be nice, and maybe that or changing someone's flat tire may turn Jessica Simpson on, but it was done more for Romo than for homeless. (I didn't think Homeless was from Texas, but I digress. Sure hope he took Homeless home to eat M & Ms with Jessica-who calls them alphabet candy, but I do digress*). If Romo were insightful enough to want to help stinky, he could have gotten him a motel room with a shower, bought him some groceries and hooked him up with a social worker to help the guy improve his life.
But a movie? Sounds like a stunt, or like Romo ain't too bright.

*Does anybody know what the heck I am talking about? :-b

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Next

Return to Football Talk