Keeper League Rules, What Do You Like? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper League Rules, What Do You Like?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper League Rules, What Do You Like?

Postby TomBrooklyn » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:56 pm

What Keeper League Rules do you like? Just summarizing them would be great. Thanks.
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League Rules, What Do You Like?

Postby Matthias » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:53 am

I like auction/keeper first of all.

Second, I like keeping three players with restrictions. If you keep more, then you start getting into really lacking a point for playing: my brother and I ran a team around 2001 where you were allowed to keep seven and for 4-5 years, our keepers were always all should have been out of the first 3 rounds in a re-draft. We trounced the league every year and I can't think it was really fun for them.

Restrictions I like (in a non-auction):
* Having to lose a draft choice for a keeper and have that draft choice increase over time. So if you drafted Michael Turner in the 18th round in 2007, you could keep him for a 17th-round pick in 2008, and then a 14th-round pick in 2009, and then a 6th-round choice in 2010, and then unkeepable after that. The exact round increase you can play with, but you want to make it start slow and then go up quickly so as to both reward the guy who thought ahead but also make it so someone doesn't keep Tomlinson for 6 years in a row because he happened to draft him as a rookie and your increases just aren't fast enough.
* Kind of interesting is to have keeper "brackets" related to the round that the keeper is replacing. So some people do you can keep:
1 player who replaces your draft pick in rounds 1-3;
1 player who replaces your draft pick in rounds 4-8;
1 player who replaces your draft pick in rounds 9-12;
1 player who replaces your draft pick in rounds 13-16;
1 player who replaces your draft pick after round 16.

If you do something like that, then you can have a few more keepers since the danger of overloading is less.

What else were you thinking about?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mr. aztec » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:40 pm

Matthias couldn't have put it better. Not only is auction keeper number 1, it is on a whole nother level. I do both the auction and keep 3 snake, and the auction is way more fun. In my auction, players' salaries double every year--so for intance, I got slaton for league min, and can probably afford to keep him for 3 or 4 more years--but most players are thrown back in.
mr. aztec
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Postby TomBrooklyn » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi,
I don't want to do an auction next year as this year is my first in fantasy, and I don't want to get too confused by trying too much early on.

I'm trying to figure out the system Matthias laid out. I got to think about that a little more I think.
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Matthias » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:24 pm

If you want to keep it simple, just use this:

3 keepers of your choice plus 1 late-round choice (if you have 17-man rosters, I would say 15 or later).
If you keep a player, you have to give up a draft pick, round to be determined by the following.
* First year keeping a player: Round drafted last year minus one (so a 2nd-round draft choice would require giving up a 1st-round pick the next year, 6th-round draft choice would mean giving up a 5th-round pick the next year, etc.)
* Second year keeping a player: Round forfeited last year minus four
* Third year keeping a player: Round forfeited last year minus 7
* Fourth year keeping a player: Round forfeited last year minus 7
* Fifth year keeping a player: this should not happen.

So, how this works, is as follows.

In 2001, you drafted Tomlinson in the 17th round.
In 2002, you keep him and give up your 16th-round draft choice to do so.
In 2003, you keep him again and give up your 12th-round draft choice to do so.
In 2004, you keep him again and give up your 5th-round draft choice to do so.
In 2005, you would have to give up your -2th-round draft choice, which doesn't exist, so can't keep him again and have to give him up.

Don't get all bent out of shape thinking that you have to make it so that people can keep players forever: most leagues don't last four years and if your league does manage to do so, then it's time to give someone else an opportunity to draft a player, anyways.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TomBrooklyn » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:14 pm

Hi. Now I see what you mean. That seems like it would work good for a late round draft pick.

I saw a description of another system that said can't keep 1-3 round player and you lose pick 2 rounds every year. I guess going 1, 4, 7 makes 1st year a little less costly, is equal in second year (2x2=4), and makes third year a little more costly (7 vs 6 (2x3).) An interesting idea.
TomBrooklyn Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:20 am

Well, the way I propose is more costly than that.

I would say you lose 1 round in the first year vs. 2.

Year 2: I would say 5 rounds (4 rounds + 1 round from last year) vs. 4 rounds (2 + 2).

Year 3: I would say 12 rounds (7 rounds + 4 + 1) vs. 6 rounds (2 + 2 + 2).

Year 4: I would say 19 rounds (7 + 7 + 4 + 1) vs. 8 (2 + 2 + 2 + 2).

The problem with just doing X rounds/year is that if you draft someone late, you really can hold onto them forever. And I want to reward guys who draft smartly, but everything should have its limit.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:38 am

our league allows 3 keepers, no player can be kept for more than 3 years by any owner
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Return to Commissioner's Corner