Bye Week Craziness - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bye Week Craziness

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bye Week Craziness

Postby joejlitz » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:54 am

The last couple of years, the NFL has started to put a game on every Thursday (after xx # of weeks into the season).
Why in the world don't the teams that play on Thursdays get their bye-week before that week?

Shouldn't the NFL have thought of that by now?
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bye Week Craziness

Postby joejlitz » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:11 pm

BUMP.

Doesn't anyone have an opinion on this? :-S
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bwind22 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:50 pm

I don't have an answer for as to why the NFL isn't doing this, but what you're saying makes logical sense to me. Instead of 4 days rest, they'd have 10 or 11. I just heard a commentator saying that Dallas loves their Thanksgiving game every year because they always feel like they have a built in advantage because whoever their opponent is has to play a road game with only 4 days off in between (and 1 of those days is usually traveling.) That IS a big advantage to have built in to your schedule every single year.
bwind22
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:39 pm

I'm not sure when stuff gets scheduled, but since Thursday night games are driven by televsion and bye weeks aren't, it's possible that the two decisions are made completely independent of each other, by complete independent people, at completely different times.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Maris09 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:29 pm

It sounds like a good idea to me, but you'd have to start the Thursday Night games a little earlier than they do. Bye weeks start earlier in the year and have 4 teams out each week. Not sure how many more week day games you'd have to play during the week to accommodate that.

I'm all for more week day games though. :-S
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dupree » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:46 pm

I could be wrong but don't the thursday night games start after the bye weeks are over and done with?
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby joejlitz » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:57 am

dupree wrote:I could be wrong but don't the thursday night games start after the bye weeks are over and done with?

Thursday night games start later in the season, but not before the bye weeks end.

Easy solution, anyway...move the bye weeks back to later in the year.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby dmacblue » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:09 am

You have a valid point with this thread.

The problem with moving bye weeks later in the season to accomodate Thursday games may be that teams would be unhappy having to play perhaps 12 straight weeks before getting a bye?

Ive also heard many Cowboy fans make the point about Thanksgiving Day advanatge, id like to know the stats over the years.

Detroit also play home every Thnaksgiving, but as they suck so bad, it's a moot point I guess.

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Postby spodog » Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:12 pm

joejlitz wrote:The last couple of years, the NFL has started to put a game on every Thursday (after xx # of weeks into the season).
Why in the world don't the teams that play on Thursdays get their bye-week before that week?

Shouldn't the NFL have thought of that by now?

I think this would only affect two teams. The BYE weeks are over in Week 11 and that is about when the THU games start. So it might be a wonderful idea, but it doesn't really benefit anybody except the first two teams appearing on THU night.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Maris09 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:50 pm

joejlitz wrote:
dupree wrote:I could be wrong but don't the thursday night games start after the bye weeks are over and done with?

Thursday night games start later in the season, but not before the bye weeks end.

Easy solution, anyway...move the bye weeks back to later in the year.

I don't know about easy, like i was saying you'd pretty much have to start the Thursday Night games right away, and have the bye weeks go later into the year than they currently go.
It would take some finagling, but more week-day games would be awesome.
Maris09
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk