commish wants to change league playoff settings.. opinions w - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

commish wants to change league playoff settings.. opinions w

Moderator: Football Moderators

commish wants to change league playoff settings.. opinions w

Postby roywilliamsfan1 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:19 pm

ok so heres the breakdown
we are an 8team league, currently 4teams make the playoffs with 15 and 16 being the playoffs
I am in first, and clinched already so it doesnt really effect me,
but 2nd place is 7-4 with 1207 pts
3rd is 6-5 with 1006 pts
4th is 5-6 with 1111 pts
5th is 5-6 with 1098 pts
6th is 5-6 with 1086 pts
7th is 4-7 with 1027 pts
8th is 3-8 with 1060 pts

commissioners team is in 6th place as it stands

he wants to change the playoffs to 6team playoff, his argument being that Between 2nd and 8th place, there is only a difference of points of 147 points. and I really don't think it would be fair to the group as a whole to have the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place playoff spots to be decided by total points on the year (because there is a good chance of that happening).

what are people's opinions on this???
again it doesnt effect me im in the playoffs already but i still think its whack
roywilliamsfan1
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: commish wants to change league playoff settings.. opinions w

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:03 pm

Bad idea jeans.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bungle613 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:53 pm

Nope. Can't do things like that. If he wants to increase it to 6 then it can be done for 2010.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby spodog » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:11 pm

bungle613 wrote:Nope. Can't do things like that. If he wants to increase it to 6 then it can be done for 2010.

Or he could propose changing it for 2009. But definitely not for 2008. Too late, the time to do that was in August.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:24 am

spodog wrote:
bungle613 wrote:Nope. Can't do things like that. If he wants to increase it to 6 then it can be done for 2010.

Or he could propose changing it for 2009. But definitely not for 2008. Too late, the time to do that was in August.

agreed
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:36 pm

spodog wrote:

YEAH, I guess he could do it for 2009

lol
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Rrolack » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:35 pm

absolutely not. If he wants the number of playoff teams to be conditional on the point spread between teams, that needs to be set beforehand. I'm in a 12 team league, where 6 teams make the playoffs, and the team with the 3rd highest point total is out of the playoff hunt. That's just how it is.
Rrolack
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 9)

Postby dupree » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:48 pm

To beat a dead horse... If he does this find another league next year or stage a coup. This is simply unethical. And yes this does affect you and the entire league as it will change the dynamic of the playoffs entirely.

Rules are rules for a reason and there are only a few cases where you validly make a rules change mid season. Changing the playoff structure is NOT one of those cases.

Besides there are 2 games left in your season. chances are those 3 teams will not remain tied after those two games.

If your league doesn't have a published set of tie-breakers for playoff rankings I suggest you propose one and have it "voted" on before week 15 rolls around. That is an acceptable "change" to the rules, which is simply clarifying the tie breakers.

This is a simplified version of our tie break rules. If you want the full blown version search this forum for my posts as I have posted them a couple of times.

TB1: 2 Team Tie Breaker:
1) H2H record
2) Total Points Scored
3) Total Points Against
4) Coin Flip

TB2: 3+ Multi-Team Tie Breaker:
1) H2H Sweep (1 team has defeated or been defeated in 100% of games against the "tied" teams)
2) Total Points Scored
3) Total Points Against
4) Draw Straws

Only One team can "move on" in each application of the tie breaker. After that one team has been moved then any remaining teams that are tied revert back to step 1 of the appropriate tie break format (2 or 3+ teams)

For example say you have 3 teams knotted for the 3rd and 4th spots.
A - 5-6 (1000)
B - 5-6 (800)
C - 5-6 (600)

A Beat C and Lost To B
B Lost to C and Beat A
C Beat B and Lost to A

TB2.1 = No Dice all teams all teams are 1-1 against the other two
TB2.2 Team A wins with the most points and is awarded 3rd place

Now Team B and C remain Tied
TB1.1 Team C wins with the H2H record of 1-0 against Team B and is awarded 4th place

Team B can cry about how they had more points than Team C but still didn't make the playoffs until next year.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby ABA316 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:48 pm

Midseason changes should NEVER happen unless EVERY owner agrees to it. Even then I'm not in favor of it.

Last year my league went to ESPN and keeper. I added an IR spot so an owner could park a potential keeper if he was on the NFL IR. Well a couple of owners figured you could put an OUT player there and the whole league started fighting about it. I ended up saying that we are stuck with it this year but that next year it won't be allowed. I took a good bit of crap for that from one owner but it was the most fair to all. In fairness that one owner is the typical loudmouth nobody likes to be in a league with.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:41 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:
spodog wrote:

agreed

What they said. Big changes like this should always be done in the offseason...never midseason. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Return to Commissioner's Corner