CBS.Sports.com first mock draft for 2009 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

CBS.Sports.com first mock draft for 2009

Moderator: Football Moderators

CBS.Sports.com first mock draft for 2009

Postby The Lung » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:24 pm

From: http://fantasynews.sportsline.com/fantasyfootball/story/11122956

We know it's only November of 2008, and most of you are still fighting for a playoff spot. Even if you're 4-7 going into Week 12, there's still hope -- sort of.

But as we know, your love of Fantasy Football is year-round, and if you're out of the playoffs the thought of "there's always next year" is ringing in your head. Like you, we want to look ahead also.

With that in mind, here's a 12-team draft as if 2009 was starting today. It's based off what has transpired so far this year and what we expect to happen next season. This should help you when determining keeper value and will give you food for thought heading into the offseason. Obviously this exercise does not include next year's rookie class, since we don't even know who will have their name called on Draft Day.

This is the first of many drafts we'll be doing before this season even ends. And we'd like you to follow along and be a part of the process.

So if there's a draft pick you like or feel was too early, send us an email to dmfantasyfootball@cbs.com. Put "Mock Draft" in the subject line and share your thoughts on the draft.

It should be interesting to see where different players are taken, from the injured guys like Tom Brady (knee) to potential free agents like Brandon Jacobs and the incredible class of rookie running backs.

This is a standard-scoring league with a starting lineup of QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, FLEX RB/WR, TE, K and DST. There will also be six reserve spots.

Draft Results
Round 1
1 Michael Hurcomb Adrian Peterson (RB MIN)
2 Sergio Gonzalez Marion Barber (RB DAL)
3 Larry Rubio Peyton Manning (QB IND)
4 Fazal Imam Clinton Portis (RB WAS)
5 Peter Madden LaDainian Tomlinson (RB SD)
6 Corey Guerrera Brian Westbrook (RB PHI)
7 Jamey Eisenberg Frank Gore (RB SF)
8 Eric Mack Joseph Addai (RB IND)
9 Jason Horowitz Marshawn Lynch (RB BUF)
10 Matt Brodsky Michael Turner (RB ATL)
11 Dave Richard Matt Forte (RB CHI)
12 Scott White Brandon Jacobs (RB NYG)

continued....

Other than the bonehead who took Peyton Manning at 1.03, what else do you dislike? What do you like?
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: CBS.Sports.com first mock draft for 2009

Postby Matthias » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:47 pm

Tomlinson too high
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby My team is injured » Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Petyon Manning at pick 3? Haha. Entertaining. Next season's a long ways away obviously and I won't crunch numbers and make projections until next summer, but I doubt I would even put Peyton as a top 3 QB, let alone a top 3 pick.

I know you said besides that so I'm not being very cooperative or productive. Couldn't help but comment on that though.
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby 011472 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:35 am

Surprised to see that noone picked up Hasselbeck.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:05 am

Ok, some real thoughts.

First, MJD is too low. My guess is 2009 is the year where Jacksonville finally cuts ties with Fragile Fred rather than pay him $6MM. If that happens, MJD vaults into the top 10.

Second, I agree with most of the first two rounds with maybe a little different sort and that means next year, a later pick will be better this year. This year, I felt like there was Tomlinson and Peterson and then a bunch of guys who, really, who knew.

Third, of the 3 QBs taken in the first two rounds, the only pick I agree with is Brees. I wouldn't burn a 2nd-round choice on hardly anybody their first year back from injury and definitely not a QB. And for Peyton.... he's still up near the top this year, but he's not at the top, and in the couple of Indy games I've caught this year he just doesn't have the same command of the game. This is definitely a soft feel call, but I just wouldn't want to be the one drafting him early... two or three years ago, sure. Next year? Not so much. Brees, however, seems to be firmly placed on his plateau. He's got a great arm, he's got good receivers, they like throwing the ball, and he's in his prime age. I would pick him in the mid to late 2nd if he fell to me.

Fourth, Steve Smith after Housh (and the mess in Cincy), Roy Williams, Dwayne Bowe, Roddy White, and Marques Colston? Huh? When healthy, Steve Smith is one of the most evasive WRs out there. I would take him before any of those guys.

Fifth, Cadillac Williams went about 7 rounds too late, if not 8 or 9. I don't know if Cadillac let Chuckie slip him the man-love when Cadillac was in college or if he washes Chuckie's car every Sunday after taking Chuckie's mother to church or what, but Gruden loves Cadillac. And next year (if not by some time this) Cadillac will be the starter again and Gruden will run him as often as Miami did when they had Ricky Williams. If it's the third round and the Cadillac is still on the lot, BUY BUY BUY.

Overall, and if people are planning their keepers, I would say next year looks pretty deep. There's a number of RBs who I would be happy to have in the first 2-3 rounds and a number of WRs I would be happy to fall to me in the first 5. The only position I really feel is thin is QB: I'd feel good with Brees or Cutler, and pretty ok with Romo or Eli, but the rest of the bunch would be a roll of the dice.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Lung » Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:58 am

Hey, a Matthias post with which I agree 100% on! :-)

Sweet analysis, man. Post of the month so far that I've seen. Nice work. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:30 pm

RB Michael Turner now has 13 rushing scores on the season, more than any running back or receiver in the league - I think 1.10 is too low. I would take AD, Barber, Portis, Gore, and maybe Tomlinson before Turner, but not Westbrook, Addai, or Lynch.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

Postby BlueBandit24 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:01 pm

The Lung wrote:RB Michael Turner now has 13 rushing scores on the season, more than any running back or receiver in the league - I think 1.10 is too low. I would take AD, Barber, Portis, Gore, and maybe Tomlinson before Turner, but not Westbrook, Addai, or Lynch.

Turner will be an intriguing figure in next year's drafts. He's been very good this year and in theory should get better as Matt Ryan and the offense as a whole mature. But, he's also on pace for 365 carries this year, and with Atlanta having a shot at the postseason that number could climb close to 400 which is dangerous territory for an RB, especially one who hasn't carried the load before. That's a lot of abuse even for someone built as solidly as Turner. He's also non-existant in the passing game and it is hard for RB's to consistently produce when they're not catching a lot of balls. But, he also has little wear and tear over his career and could be the cornerstone of an explosive offense. A lot of pros and cons to weight with Turner next year.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bobbing_headz » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:04 pm

I always like to comment on these ;-D

First off, as Mathias mentioned, S. Smith in the 4th is a crime it's so much of a steal. I mean there's no way Jennings, White and Colston are better than him.

Larry Johnson could be excellent value in the 4th, not used much this year should be relatively fresh. Chiefs offense may not be so terrible next year if Thigpen can play decently or if KC picks up another QB. Same goes for McFadden. Didn't play much this year, has potential. If Oakland can even turn up their game slightly his value could increase a lot.

I think a couple of the RBs in the 6th are just bad picks. Both Mendenhall and Torain are guys who've been out all year and are speculative picks. I think Moore will remain the backup in Pittsburgh and I have no idea who Shanny will throw in there in Denver. Selvin Young is arguably as viable an option and he went in the 15th.

Some underperforming WRs could be nice picks next year. Holmes in the 7th ain't bad. Same with Holt or Chad Johnson in the 8th. Plus where's the love for Antonio Bryant? Admittedly I do have a man crush on him but 12th round is too low for the Bucs #1 WR. What baffles me is that Eddie Royal is taken in the 5th. There's no way I'd take Royal over Holmes.

But, the number 1 reason why this draft is complete and utter garbage is something I can't believe you've all missed! Ladies and Gents, turn your eyes to the 4th round, see anything wrong? I'll give you a hint, it involves picks 4.03 and 4.05. Give up? Fine I'll tell you:
Words cannot describe how baffled I am as to why Roy Williams would get selected above TO. I'm not gonna even go into how underrated TO is in the 4th but it's Roy Williams for God sakes. Come on %-6
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dmacblue » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:55 pm

Some very good points about the early rounds, so i'll just conur with them and focus on a couple of late round oddities;

Kevin Walter.... My mancrush will be in effect before round 10 for sure.

Jason Campbell....I wn't let him slip to round 14

I like a RB dice roll with late picks, & Jerome Harrison (round 13) looks set for a gig in Cle

Marvin & Derek Anderson could get gigs somewhere outperforming late round ADP's.

Kudos to the uberdesigner 'soty' for the sig!
dmacblue
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: Driving the Chase Coffman bandwagon to the 2011 Pro Bowl!

Next

Return to Football Talk