Is Childress really that bad of a coach? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Minnesota Vikings

Is Childress really that bad of a coach?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is Childress really that bad of a coach?

Postby Matthias » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:52 pm

I'm a Vikings fan, but live in NYC so miss the majority of their games and the day-to-day stories. But the overall tenor of the team since Childress has taken the helm, I really like.

The line is first and foremost on both sides of the ball which gets me psyched. As a result, we have a great rushing game and a really stout defense that is prone to the occasional uh-oh. There hasn't been a passing game to really speak of but we have had neither a receiver nor a quarterback for years. I guess Childress is responsible for the personnel and staying the course with Tavaris when it became clear he was the only one who was in love with him, but I've seen greater sins.

Overall, I think the Vikings have a really good team and I trace that to the type of team that Childress is interested in making. So what makes him such a bad coach that he gets continually ragged on?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Is Childress really that bad of a coach?

Postby BlueBandit24 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:15 pm

In short, yes.

He runs the most vanilla offensive system I have ever seen. For a system that he describes as "kick ass", it has been anything but. A lot of predictability and very few adjustments are made throughout the game. Most of all I think his bumbling of the QB situation is where the animosity comes from. He traded up and reached for Tarvaris, then failed to bring in any adequate veterans to man the ship while T-Jax "developed" and felt that bringing in any semblance of competition for Jackson would be a mistake. Now we're stuck with a 38 year old journeyman at the helm with no heir apparent in sight. This team was built to win now when Childress took over and he left it to a raw D1-AA prospect to take them there. For somebody who was noted as a QB guru that's a pretty big gaffe to make.

Mike Tice took teams with less talent to better seasons and I don't think anyone mistakes him for a good coach. If the Vikings don't make the postseason Childress has to go. It would be nice to have somebody who can gameplan, motivate players, and make the necessary adjustments. I have yet to see one positive thing from Childress in those regards.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is Childress really that bad of a coach?

Postby RiffRaff » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:18 pm

Fire Chilly - That's what we say in Minny. :-)
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Return to Minnesota Vikings