How many of you feel that TE should not be a position in FF? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How many of you feel that TE should not be a position in FF?

Moderator: Football Moderators

How many of you feel that TE should not be a position in FF?

Postby davus » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:26 am

I am increasingly of the opinion that the TE position is just a waste and disrupts a league more than it benefits it. If you think about it, it's the only position where there isn't even enough valuable guys to go around the league.

32 teams in the NFL and you can't even find 8 - 12 worthwile producers. It's not just that there's only 2 or 3 TE's that produce even a half of what a receiver does...it's that most of them are completely inconsistent as fantasy producers.

So what's the point of having TE? It's more than likely a crap shoot unless you want to spend early in the draft of a Gonzalez, Sharpe, Shockey, etc.

I would prefer TE being eliminated from my league.

Thoughts?
davus

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby M_Zimm_ffc » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:33 am

My league doesn't have them. At first I wanted to put them in but after seeing many posts on here and watching how the season goes I think it would be too much of a headache. I would now vote against putting a spot in. I would get rid of it if I were you, but then again, if you do that then you might as well get rid of kickers too.
M_Zimm_ffc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby greenman » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:36 am

The only reason i like TE's is because i have Freddie Jones and he's been pretty reliable. But there is no way you can get rid of kickers!! Vanderjagt gets me over 10 points a week.
greenman
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby davus » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:41 am

yeah, I think plenty of kickers are consistently good for 5-10 points. Plus there will always be a couple of standouts.

But what is the point of having a position where 75% of the teams will get 0-3 points out of 50% of the time or more. Even the good ones usually have a kick ass day with 2 TDs and then the give you 5 points IF YOU ARE LUCKY on a regular week, the exception being Gonzalez.
davus

Friendliness: %

Re: How many of you feel that TE should not be a position in FF?

Postby Guv » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:41 am

davus wrote:I am increasingly of the opinion that the TE position is just a waste and disrupts a league more than it benefits it. If you think about it, it's the only position where there isn't even enough valuable guys to go around the league.

32 teams in the NFL and you can't even find 8 - 12 worthwile producers. It's not just that there's only 2 or 3 TE's that produce even a half of what a receiver does...it's that most of them are completely inconsistent as fantasy producers.

So what's the point of having TE? It's more than likely a crap shoot unless you want to spend early in the draft of a Gonzalez, Sharpe, Shockey, etc.

Thoughts?

That's why I like the TEs in the league...it makes people have to make a decision when to pass up a WR/RB/QB to get a decent TE. IF you do it too early then you passed up on some other better point producing players but if you wait too long then you may be screwed out of a scoring position.
Isn't that what makes draft day so much fun?
Guv
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 2)

Postby greatgretzky » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:46 am

i would recommend having it. "Not having enough quality players to go around" is not a valid argument to eliminate it, IMO. It could be said that there aren't enough good rb's to go around too. Part of the fun of drafting and managing your squad is assigning value to the players and knowing when to take them. Having a shockey or a gonzalez is big advantage, as it should be. Having priest holmes or a top five back is also an enormous advantage, as it should be. If you eliminate that, then it jsut becomes a game of picking backs and receivers. That isn't fun. Plus, TE is an improtant and useful position in the nfl. If you really wanted to mirror football, people would not have the spot for three backs (if you count flex). The rb position in fantasy football is diproportionate IMO to its weight in real life. Most teams don't have two feature backs, let alone three.

Also if you are talking about inconsistent, many wr's are a crap shoot too, as are defenses and kickers. sometimes, fantasy football comes down to crapshoots and luck and that is good. As in real life, sometimes games come down to luck -- a flukey interception a costly fumble, you name it. I think the inconsistencies make the game fun. Making it a game of startin a qb, three wr's two backs and a defense jsut doesn't appeal to me as much ...
greatgretzky
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby altproject » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:49 am

Guv wrote:That's why I like the TEs in the league...it makes people have to make a decision when to pass up a WR/RB/QB to get a decent TE. IF you do it too early then you passed up on some other better point producing players but if you wait too long then you may be screwed out of a scoring position.
Isn't that what makes draft day so much fun?

Exactly, it's like the catcher position in fantasy baseball. You can't leave it off just because most of them suck. In FF, there are a half-dozen TEs that do produce -- and you have to make the decision whether or not to use a draft pick on one of them. Anything that adds MORE strategy is good for the game.
20 Team League | 11-3 | 5th Place
--------------------------------------------
Q: Kitna, Flutie
R: Henry, Portis, T. Jones, Rudi, Griffin, Burns
W: Chambers, Ward
T: Shockey
K: Elling
D: Bills
altproject
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Arlo » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:52 am

Agreed, the TE position adds a lot of strategy to drafts...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hayesb26 » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:24 pm

Yeah i too like the TE position. The drafts just wouldnt be the same!
hayesb26
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby 9er Fan » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:34 pm

davus wrote:I am increasingly of the opinion that the TE position is just a waste and disrupts a league more than it benefits it. If you think about it, it's the only position where there isn't even enough valuable guys to go around the league.

Thoughts?

Spoken like someone that didn't draft a TE early. ;-) I agree with those that like the added strategy to the draft.
9er Fan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to Football Talk