Gamesmanship, or bullship? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Gamesmanship, or bullship?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Gamesmanship, or bullship?

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:38 am

The owner agreed to fill his lineup but merely filled them with the worst D (St. Louis) and a kicker who isn't active (some real no name) clearly in a sign of protest. Is it not as bad to start inactive players on purpose? Should I just force him to pick up legit players and lock him?
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby dupree » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:53 am

Seems like a better protest would be do to everything in his power to beat you (aka "The Man") this week...

Other than laughing at them you can't really have such a heavy hand as to dictate which player gets the start (i.e. purposefully starting a terrible defense) but starting an inactive player (or OUT) is the same, IMHO, as starting a bye week player. It is one thing to take a chance on a probable/doubtful or have a last minute scratch (say motorcycle accident on the way to the stadium) catch you away from the PC sunday morning.....

:-t
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:35 am

dupree wrote:Seems like a better protest would be do to everything in his power to beat you (aka "The Man") this week...

Other than laughing at them you can't really have such a heavy hand as to dictate which player gets the start (i.e. purposefully starting a terrible defense) but starting an inactive player (or OUT) is the same, IMHO, as starting a bye week player. It is one thing to take a chance on a probable/doubtful or have a last minute scratch (say motorcycle accident on the way to the stadium) catch you away from the PC sunday morning.....

:-t

That's exactly what I told him. Starting STL D may be his protest but it's still a legit play. Starting an inactive kicker however is not.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Matthias » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:41 am

I don't think so. I think his "protest" is as bad as leaving those spots vacant. He hasn't become major league by doing this, just shown how petulant he can be.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:52 am

I thought that so far this owners refusal to put forward his best effort to win hasn't impacted any of the games, but upon closer inspection I see that two weeks ago he didn't play a kicker and lost by only a few points. This loss impacts the draft order for next year since the team he lost to is just above him in the standings.

Starting STL and a retired kicker is akin to spitting in the league's face and giving the Commish the finger.

Sorry, but IMHO, if this owner refuses to cooperate, he has no integrity, is too bush for our league and needs to go.
Last edited by FantasySportsMaven on Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:53 am

i would tell him to field a legit lineup or he wont be asked back next year
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:07 am

Dan Lambskin wrote:i would tell him to field a legit lineup or he wont be asked back next year

I suggested that we give him till tomorrow morning to cooperate, and then if he doesn't, lock his team and put Chicago D back on it as well as the highest projected available K.

Further research into his week 11 loss shows that there were 12 kickers on FA which if he played one of them would have won him his week 11 game.
And, if he won that game and wins this weeks game, he would NOT get the 1st draft pick next year. It is no wonder he refuses to play to win. :-t
2011 FFB Totals
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:13 pm

Well, after continued pressure from the league, the owner of that team has agreed to try and be competitive this week and has picked up the Arizona D and Carney as his kicker.

That should solve the problem for this week with the obvious need to spell out everything possible in our rules even though this is a Cafe league. ;-D
2011 FFB Totals
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The Lung » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:49 pm

FantasySportsMaven wrote:That should solve the problem for this week with the obvious need to spell out everything possible in our rules even though this is a Cafe league. ;-D

I am continually amazed every year at what should be obvious (even in Cafe leagues) actually needs to be spelled out in excruciating detail.

Examples:

• Having to spell out that draft picks may not be changed after they are made
  • Having to spell out that draft picks made by an alternate may not be later changed by the original owner
  • Having to spell out that a full roster must be started
  • Having to spell out that a valid roster without injured players or those on bye should be started
  • that managers who start injured players or those on bye don't get asked back. Some delinquent managers actually get upset about this. Hello, you disappeared for weeks at a time, dillweed!
  • That one-week trades / tradebacks are not allowed
  • etc.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:13 pm

Seems like a prerequisite for being a Commish nowadays is someone with Contract Law experience. I would have hoped that free (non-money) Cafe leagues where friends competed against friends wouldn't require such all entailing rules. :,-(
2011 FFB Totals
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Commissioner's Corner