Gamesmanship, or bullship? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Gamesmanship, or bullship?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Gamesmanship, or bullship?

Postby spodog » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:00 pm

FantasySportsMaven wrote:I thought that so far this owners refusal to put forward his best effort to win hasn't impacted any of the games, but upon closer inspection I see that two weeks ago he didn't play a kicker and lost by only a few points. This loss impacts the draft order for next year since the team he lost to is just above him in the standings.

Starting STL and a retired kicker is akin to spitting in the league's face and giving the Commish the finger.

Sorry, but IMHO, if this owner refuses to cooperate, he has no integrity, is too bush for our league and needs to go.

What a mess. You can't make his lineup decision for him, but obviously you'll be loooking to tighten up the rules next year.

Something to consider, put some pain in place so that every LOSS costs the owner something so that remains incentive for teams not making the playoffs to continue to compete.
Look here for ideas:

http://www.fantasyfootballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=238&t=422380&p=2923623&hilit=pain#p2923623
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bobbing_headz » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:13 pm

This is a free league so monetary penalties are not and will not be an option. Other than money though I can't think of any incentives for not simply tanking. I guess it's a necessary evil in free leagues.
Less C*** More Rock
bobbing_headz
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dupree » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:01 pm

People disagreed with my comments, but this is exactly why the league I run changed the rules for draft order.

Playoff teams get spots 7-12 in reverse order (i.e. champ gets 12, Runner up 11 etc.) and Non-playoff teams get spots 1-6 based on finishing order in the consolation bracket.

so the #1 draft pick isn't a reward for losing.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby spodog » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:52 am

bobbing_headz wrote:This is a free league so monetary penalties are not and will not be an option. Other than money though I can't think of any incentives for not simply tanking. I guess it's a necessary evil in free leagues.

There are other things besides $ you can put on the line to provide an incentive to remain competitive. If the owners are coming back the following year, award extra mid or low round draft picks to teams that post W's in the final 4 weeks of the regular season, and subtract picks for those that post L's.

If it is just some random public league on Yahoo or whatever, you don't really have options. Stay away from those type of leagues is the best advice you could get.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ABA316 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:44 pm

Agreed, some people will look for any loophole they can get.

I ran into this last year where people would bench their Monday night players if their opponent was done and they had a slim lead. Someone also tried to say they didn't have to have a D, etc..our host site was ESPN which would allow players listed as O (out) to be placed on the IR spot which caused havoc.

You need a written constitution if you haven't already got one, first of all.

What you next need is some language that tanking is not allowed and you can be removed for it.

In this case you can't make him field a "good" D. However, make him field a kicker who is at least active.

Depending on your host site there COULD be language in the rules that addresses this already, but add also to the constitution something like "commissioner reserves the right to make a ruling during the season on any issue not fully addressed within this constitution". This basically gives you the power to make decisions such as this one.

Good luck!
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FantasySportsMaven » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:41 am

Ironically, the owner in question fielded a real full roster and his Arizona defense ended up with a -1, which is of course worse than fielding no defense at all. :-b
All we need now is for his kicker, Carney, to be a last minute scratch on Gameday. ;-)
2011 FFB Totals
Terrible at everything, and a liar.
FantasySportsMaven
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:33 am

FantasySportsMaven wrote:Ironically, the owner in question fielded a real full roster and his Arizona defense ended up with a -1, which is of course worse than fielding no defense at all. :-b
All we need now is for his kicker, Carney, to be a last minute scratch on Gameday. ;-)

Just like 2 weeks ago when Tynes played instead of Carney! :-o

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dupree » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:13 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
FantasySportsMaven wrote:Ironically, the owner in question fielded a real full roster and his Arizona defense ended up with a -1, which is of course worse than fielding no defense at all. :-b

Just like 2 weeks ago when Tynes played instead of Carney! :-o

Don't Remind me....
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Previous

Return to Commissioner's Corner