HoF semifinalists - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

HoF semifinalists

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: HoF semifinalists

Postby moochman » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:23 am

Lester Hayes, Kevin Greene, and Kenny Stabler would have not been able to play in today’s game. Their on and off field behavior would have had them suspended.
Chris Carted doesn’t belong in the hall-“all he did was catch TDs”.—Buddy Ryan.
Art Modell should be a lock to get in. They can open a Carpetbagger section in the HOF just for he and Irsay.

Seriously, a good looking list loaded with a lot of familiar names. Not sure how many separated themselves enough to be a HOFer.
I think Ray Guy should be a lock, though. He was the premier punter in his day. And as a Lions fan I have a keep appreciation for punting.
Shannon Sharpe was a beast at TE, did he block too?
Woodson.
Bruce Smith

Others are fine canidates but I really don't know enough of their careers to put them in the hall.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:31 am

benb18a wrote:TD I believe should absolutely be put in. The guy was the best in the league for several seasons. Yes, his career was cut short, but he's a RB. You can't expect him to put up 1500+ for 14 seasons. Let's see. 2000 yard club? Check. 20 TD club? Check. Two time SB champ, with a SB MVP, and regular season MVP? Check, check and check. Before his rash of serious injuries, he was on pace for about 13,000 yards in 8 years, along with 108 TDs. He absolutely shined in his two Super Bowls.

But you run into the basic problem of extrapolating stats when you talk about those kind of numbers.

Let's compare it with someone that I'm relatively passionate about: Shaun Alexander. Instead of having a real 8,887 total yards and 65 total TDs over 7 years, Shaun had 10,973 total yards and 112 TDs over 9 years which includes the 2006 and 2007 years where he was injured (although he played through it) and 2008--clearly a year he wasn't featured at all (and had zero relevant statistics). That means he listed a majority of those stats over 6 years

Does Shaun Alexander belong in the HoF?

I would love to think so, but I think most people would think it was his supporting cast that propelled him to stardom. But was that not very similar to Denver's system too?

Ultimately, Terrell Davis should not be in the Hall of Fame. Either that, or Shaun Alexander deserves to be there.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby benb18a » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:33 am

biju wrote:
benb18a wrote:TD I believe should absolutely be put in. The guy was the best in the league for several seasons. Yes, his career was cut short, but he's a RB. You can't expect him to put up 1500+ for 14 seasons. Let's see. 2000 yard club? Check. 20 TD club? Check. Two time SB champ, with a SB MVP, and regular season MVP? Check, check and check. Before his rash of serious injuries, he was on pace for about 13,000 yards in 8 years, along with 108 TDs. He absolutely shined in his two Super Bowls.

But you run into the basic problem of extrapolating stats when you talk about those kind of numbers.

Let's compare it with someone that I'm relatively passionate about: Shaun Alexander. Instead of having a real 8,887 total yards and 65 total TDs over 7 years, Shaun had 10,973 total yards and 112 TDs over 9 years which includes the 2006 and 2007 years where he was injured (although he played through it) and 2008--clearly a year he wasn't featured at all (and had zero relevant statistics). That means he listed a majority of those stats over 6 years

I would love to think so, but I think most people would think it was his supporting cast that propelled him to stardom. But was that not very similar to Denver's system too?

Ultimately, Terrell Davis should not be in the Hall of Fame. Either that, or Shaun Alexander deserves to be there.

Yeah but SA proved he sucked after Hutchinson, etc. left town. Everybody knew it would happen, and it did. Davis never got the chance to really regress, because he had to deal with serious structural injuries. Terrell Davis was the centerpiece of two SB champion teams.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby biju » Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:10 pm

benb18a wrote:
biju wrote:

Yeah but SA proved he sucked after Hutchinson, etc. left town. Everybody knew it would happen, and it did. Davis never got the chance to really regress, because he had to deal with serious structural injuries. Terrell Davis was the centerpiece of two SB champion teams.

I think you're overlooking why I particularly picked SA. Denver had a pro bowl O-line during TDs tenure. Plus you can't forget Shannon Sharpe in his prime and someone called John Elway.

:-D

We can certainly agree to disagree here, and I'm sure there are a ton of people who think I'm crazy for saying he shouldn't be there, but I'm pretty firm on this one in my mind.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ttwarrior1 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:07 pm

ask anyone that lined up against dawson, they will say he's the best center they ever faced. i dont believe s sharpe should be on the first ballot as well
ttwarrior1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby benb18a » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:12 pm

ttwarrior1 wrote:ask anyone that lined up against dawson, they will say he's the best center they ever faced. i dont believe s sharpe should be on the first ballot as well

How many better TEs has there been in the history of the NFL?

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby biju » Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:56 pm

benb18a wrote:
ttwarrior1 wrote:ask anyone that lined up against dawson, they will say he's the best center they ever faced. i dont believe s sharpe should be on the first ballot as well

How many better TEs has there been in the history of the NFL?

First off, I'm a firm believer he should be in the hall, period. But I do believe it's important to note that modern uses of a TE have increased the amount of catching they do and lessen the amount of blocking they do. I'm pretty sure Sharpe did a whole lot less blocking than his counterparts did. As a matter of fact, wasn't he drafted as a WR?

When we talk about who is the better TE in NFL history, there aren't any that top him from offense statistics. But I would claim that Mike Ditka, Kellen Winslow and Ozzie Newsome probably were more dominant in their time given the role they had. I'll admit that I can't seem to remember whether Shannon was a good blocker or not, but even if he was he only did it for a fraction of the time those other guys did.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ttwarrior1 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:34 am

i never said shannon shouldnt be a hofer but not on the first ballot
ttwarrior1
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:54 pm

Only guys thats standout for me are:

Derrick Thomas
Bruce Smith
Shannon Sharpe

Each of these guys was one of the best in the NFL for a number of years and not just a familiar name. These are the only no question about it HOFs I see on this list. A lot of other good but not great , or great guys with some serious blemishes on there that SHOULD eventually get in. At least now that they watered down the hall letting in guys like Monk.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Previous

Return to Football Talk