Week 13 GC: Tennessee @ Detroit - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Week 13 GC: Tennessee @ Detroit

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Week 13 GC: Tennessee @ Detroit

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:31 pm

I agree with Dream. Dallas and Detroit always play.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby joejlitz » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:47 pm

biju wrote:
dream_017 wrote:A big giant :-t to all of those asking or wanting to take away the Thanksgiving Day game from the Lions. Go ahead and name me the last time that the Lions had a Sunday Night or Monday Night game. What, you can't, because it has been so long...how about a Thursday Night game....none...and you want to take away a Thursday afternoon game away from them :-t Maybe we should just put Dallas - NE on every Sunday or Monday night....or Thanksgiving. There are teams that get 3 and 4 or more prime time games....every year. We get a Thursday afternoon game and that is it. We also started the Thanksgiving game tradition 69 years ago, so I think keeping it in Detroit is not that big of a deal, because if not for us you may not be watching any NFL football today

It didn't feel like I was watching football today anyway with the way the Lions played. :-D

This from a Seahawks fan????
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby SniperShot » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:57 pm

joejlitz wrote:
biju wrote:
dream_017 wrote:A big giant :-t to all of those asking or wanting to take away the Thanksgiving Day game from the Lions. Go ahead and name me the last time that the Lions had a Sunday Night or Monday Night game. What, you can't, because it has been so long...how about a Thursday Night game....none...and you want to take away a Thursday afternoon game away from them :-t Maybe we should just put Dallas - NE on every Sunday or Monday night....or Thanksgiving. There are teams that get 3 and 4 or more prime time games....every year. We get a Thursday afternoon game and that is it. We also started the Thanksgiving game tradition 69 years ago, so I think keeping it in Detroit is not that big of a deal, because if not for us you may not be watching any NFL football today

It didn't feel like I was watching football today anyway with the way the Lions played. :-D

This from a Seahawks fan????
Ouch.

Nice. :-D
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:33 pm

After reading this article, I'm inclined to agree with dream, mostly because of these paragraphs:

The fact is the Lions started playing on Thanksgiving back when no one else wanted to. The Lions, more than any other team, are responsible for the NFL having a presence on this day. Now that they've fallen on hard times and playing on Turkey Day is now seen as an honor, we're supposed to stop a 74-year tradition and take it away from them? That's like a family opening the first restaurant in a city no else wants to go to and after they make their mark and the city gains some prestige they're forced out to make room for some trendy club.

Where were those club owners back in 1934? Oh, that's right, they weren't even born. When the Lions started playing on Thanksgiving Day 74 years ago, only four other current NFL teams were in their current cities and had their current names. The Lions on Thanksgiving has been one of the few constants in an ever-changing league that would be well served to keep a few of the traditions that has made them the most popular league in America.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:37 am

steelerfan513 wrote:After reading this article, I'm inclined to agree with dream, mostly because of these paragraphs:

The fact is the Lions started playing on Thanksgiving back when no one else wanted to. The Lions, more than any other team, are responsible for the NFL having a presence on this day. Now that they've fallen on hard times and playing on Turkey Day is now seen as an honor, we're supposed to stop a 74-year tradition and take it away from them? That's like a family opening the first restaurant in a city no else wants to go to and after they make their mark and the city gains some prestige they're forced out to make room for some trendy club.

Where were those club owners back in 1934? Oh, that's right, they weren't even born. When the Lions started playing on Thanksgiving Day 74 years ago, only four other current NFL teams were in their current cities and had their current names. The Lions on Thanksgiving has been one of the few constants in an ever-changing league that would be well served to keep a few of the traditions that has made them the most popular league in America.

Great article Steeler. My sentiments exactly. Noone else wanted to play on Thanksgiving. We owe it to the Lions because there would be no Football yesterday without them.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting