Don't start a player on Thanksgiving because..... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Don't start a player on Thanksgiving because.....

Moderator: Football Moderators

Don't start a player on Thanksgiving because.....

Postby Crystalstorm » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:20 pm

Start the players you normally would start on Thanksgiving.But don't start a player on Thanksgiving ,just for the sake of wanting to add a little more fun to your Holiday.
It's one of the biggest mistakes I've seen teams do since 1987,when I started playing Fantasy Football.I did it a few times myself at first,and got screwed almostevery time.

If you don't have a chance at making the play-offs or are already in(if points don't matter),have fun and start guys like Crayton,Austin, K. Robinson,Furrey ect...But if you are still in the play-off hunt,be careful who you start and avoid sitting a valid player just to watch your guy on TV.You'll regret it Friday morning !!!!

I'd love to start and watch Roy Williams in my PPR league,but I can't sit Edwards,Driver or L. Moore just for the sake of having fun.It's tempting,but not recommended from my past experiences with doing such things.I'm still fighting for the last play-off spot in my 12 team league.Are play-offs start next week in week 14.We don't use week 17 in our play-offs.

Good Luck to all of you and your teams,and enjoy your Thanksgiving with all the food,beer and Football games.But don't get a good buzz on and toss T. Choice into your line-up at 3:30,hoping he gets some touches in a possible blow-out. ;-)
Crystalstorm
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Don't start a player on Thanksgiving because.....

Postby waterproof » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:02 pm

Good advice! I always bet on the games instead :-D
waterproof
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Eagle Eye

Postby The Lung » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:10 pm

Yup, sure is a bad idea to start a player on Thanksgiving...especially Dallas QBs...you would NEVER want to do that... ;-)
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:11 pm

I have to admit that given players with similar prospects for that weekend, I will usually play the people I can watch.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby FatFoot » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:39 pm

The worst is when SOME owners screw with their lineups, because they've got a lock for a playoff spot... and then other owners DON'T play with silly lineups... it makes it a crappy situation for teams on the bubble... one guy gets a break and gets a win because someone was playing scrubs that he could watch on Turkey day, the other team gets a real opponent... crappy way to let playoff entry get decided.

Not a factor in all but one of my leagues, which are all set in stone by now. But there's one league where I'm playing a dude who always comes in guns blazing, and other teams in contention are not playing against serious opponents. I guess it probably just comes down to the caliber of the owners in your league.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby saundman2000 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:04 pm

Fortunately for me, the only Turkey Day player on my roster is Kurt Warner. :-)
RIDERS OF THE STORM
QB Vick
RB Adrian Peterson, Matt Forte, Lesean McCoy
WR Brandon Marshall, Kenny Britt
TE ?
DEF Flavor of the Week
K ?

=====> Post Feedback if my Reply Helped you
saundman2000
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby chchelse » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:32 pm

I'm starting: Warner, MBIII, CJ4.24, Steve Breaston and Neil Rackers. I am starting Breaston over Housh and Ocho Cinco, but if you look at the numbers, Breaston has been consistently better than those guys, so I don't think it's a reach. I don't think I'll move away from the TV all day. By Friday I'll know where I stand and whether I'll get above .500 for the first time this year after a horrible 1-5 start.
chchelse
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:30 am

I agree. I think it's a good idea to try and start the players that you think will score the most points for you...whether you're in the playoffs or eliminated. I've never started someone just because they're playing on national TV & purposely not starting your best players (even if you're eliminated from playoff contention) every week is bush league IMO. You might give someone who's in playoff contention an easy win. Just like every team in the NFL, I think every owner should try to win their fantasy game every week. I screw myself out of better rookie draft picks in dynasty leagues all the time because of this, but I wouldn't have it any other way. To quote Herm Edwards: "You play to win the game." ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Crystalstorm » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:49 am

waterproof wrote:Good advice! I always bet on the games instead :-D

I use to do the same,back in the 80's and early 90's,then I switched to Fantasy Football for good,it saved me BIG money and sanity over the last 15 years or so.Our league fee is 1,000.00,but atleast it's alot less than what I lost at gambling.I do still have my insane moments in FF,especially when one of my studs goes down.Getting a check for 8 K in Jan.(for 1st),3 K for 2nd,and your money back 1K,can cause for some insanity issues also.But Muck less than placing bets.

The Monday night game was always the killer when placing bets after a bad week for me.Just give me a 12 pac of BUD and a bottle of Jack back then,and I was working the next 2 weeks for free.
Crystalstorm
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Crystalstorm » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:00 am

The Lung wrote:Yup, sure is a bad idea to start a player on Thanksgiving...especially Dallas QBs...you would NEVER want to do that... ;-)

I didn't say ALL players :-? .I'd love to be starting Romo if I had him.But not when I own Brees,Cassel and Thigpen. ;-D
Crystalstorm
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Next

Return to Football Talk