Worst trades or draft picks... tell your story - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Worst trades or draft picks... tell your story

Moderator: Football Moderators

Worst trades or draft picks... tell your story

Postby Supersonic » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Alright, so I've had my share of wonderful trades and horrible trades and I wanted to hear some of your guys' best stories. I'll start it off with one that has been plaguing me all of this season: When Willie Parker was about two weeks away from supposedly returning, I offered Thomas Jones up, thinking I would reep Parker's top-tier production he displayed at the very beginning of the season. Well, Jones hadn't blown up quite yet (that was the next week) and now I crumple to the floor and whimper every Sunday when I look at Jones' stats. He could easily have put me in the top spot, instead I am languishing in second very precariously. One other one that just drives me mad is picking Willis McGahee second overall (after Tom Brady as my first pick!) this season. God, what was I thinking... most of my draft picks have been benched all year. I'm playing off of the WW pretty much. So, let's hear about some of the worst draft picks and trades you guys have made. I know there are some good (or bad) ones out there. :-)
QB: E. Manning, Bradford
RB: Peterson, Best, Tolbert, Starks, Torain
WR: Wallace, Welker,Colston. P. Parker, Floyd
TE: Hernandez, Davis
K: Hanson
DEF: Rotating
Supersonic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: Worst trades or draft picks... tell your story

Postby Azrael » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:06 pm

Last week everyone in my league laughed at me for trading Warner, Chris Johnson, and Andre Johnson for Forte, LJ, and Lance Moore. I then promptly picked up Thigpen. Who's laughing now I say.

Worst draft pick ever...some guy about 8 years ago spent a 1st rounder on Jake Plummer...knowledgable guy who "had a feeling" and then became paranoid other people were thinking the same thing. We even asked him if he was sure.

I'm sure there are lots of dumb stories about rookie fantasy players grabbing a "name" player or homer pick who have no idea how fantasy football works. I discount these as "bad picks" since what else can you expect from neophyte players.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Supersonic » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:32 pm

LJ meaning Larry Johnson? That's a massive trade this late in the season. Good work though, I'd be scared.
QB: E. Manning, Bradford
RB: Peterson, Best, Tolbert, Starks, Torain
WR: Wallace, Welker,Colston. P. Parker, Floyd
TE: Hernandez, Davis
K: Hanson
DEF: Rotating
Supersonic
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Azrael » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:58 pm

Supersonic wrote:LJ meaning Larry Johnson? That's a massive trade this late in the season. Good work though, I'd be scared.

Yes. I think alot of people perceive LJ as the guy who ran 7 times for -2 and and got suspended (effectively) for 4 games and equate him with being a worthless bum. Also, the offensive line play has improved and the offense in itself has been much better the last 5 weeks, averaging about 24 points per game. That's double what they had been averaging the first 7 weeks. LJ should be solid the last month of the fantasy season.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby pfwygalways » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:33 pm

My first round last year was maroney and this year steven jackson. Jackson has produced some this year but maroney was a nightmare last year. I can never draft a stable first rounder, but always pan out with sleepers later in the draft.
12 team/6pts TD/1pt 25yds pass/1pt 10yd r/r
08-09 Champ: Defending my title
QB Cutler
WR R. White, Welker, S. Holmes, D. Hester
RB M. Turner, S. Slaton, D. Brown, L Betts, L Maroney
M. Bush
TE Shockey
K Gotskowski
Def: Dal. (platoon likely)
pfwygalways
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby woodson_28 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:27 am

Worst trade this year for me:

I traded: L. Evans and R. Bush
I got: B. Edwards and J. Stewart

Edwards has been crap all year, and Bush was a top 5 RB before his streak of injuries. There are 3 key aspects that make this a horrible trade.
1. 0.5 PPR league
2. I was first offered B. Edwards + C. Johnson, but I requested J. Stewart instead (right after week 2 when Stewart had 2 TD's and looked to be the redzone guy).
3. The team that received R. Bush flipped him (and D. Jackson) a few weeks later for A. Boldin and MJD. To think, I could have done a similar trade.

Worst Draft Pick:

3 years ago, we did a 12 man league, w/ 1 starting defensive player slot. The guy with the #2 pick in the 3rd round took Ed Reed. It was crazy. I mean, Ed Reed is good and all, but a defensive player in the 3rd rd? Top 30? There were only 12 teams, and we only started one DP. Everybody else took the Defensive player after their kickers and DEF's in the last/second to last rds.
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby spodog » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:01 am

spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby keithk0 » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:52 am

I'm in a 16 team/5 keeper league so rbs are hard to come by, drafted Brandon Jackson in the 1st last year and suffered all year, that scared me off all the rookie rbs this year (Forte, Stewart, Smith et al). Lucky for me I took a flyer on CJohnson in the 2nd round.
keithk0
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Niner Memories » Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:01 pm

I traded Kurt Warner after week 1 for an injured Colston. That did not work out so well for me. :-t
Niner Memories
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby joejlitz » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:08 pm

I was so sure that Cotchery was going to be a top-10 WR this year. 1200 yards, 10 TDs. So I watched Boldin and Andre Johnson go by, made some other picks and waited until the 5th round before I selected a WR. I got Santonio Holmes in the 5th and Cotchery in the 6th. I was SET! My WRs were going to rock! :-L
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Next

Return to Football Talk