allow teams to throw a game for playoff positioning? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

allow teams to throw a game for playoff positioning?

Moderator: Football Moderators

allow teams to throw a game for playoff positioning?

Postby LegendoftheFall » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:27 am

a couple of guys in my league have benched their lineup for week 13. both are already in the playoffs win or lose, but are apparently trying to manipulate who they play in the 1st round. Im getting some complaints from the playoff bubble teams who may be affected by this. nothing in the rules against it, is that bush league or just good strategy? anybody seen this before? i have to admit ive thought about doing it before but never was in position to benefit from it. thanks for any input
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: allow teams to throw a game for playoff positioning?

Postby dupree » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:21 am

:-t :-t :-t :-t
Not everything needs to be a rule (be sure it is next year) but I would simply tell these guys to start a competitive line up or risk being out of the playoffs themselves.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby The Lung » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:22 am

Agreed. The commissioner needs to have rules in place stipulating that all managers must start a valid, full roster each week.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby Matthias » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:11 pm

LegendoftheFall wrote:is that bush league or just good strategy?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ABA316 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:36 pm

You need a written constitution if you haven't already got one.

Next, have some verbage to the effect of

"...tanking will not be allowed and can result in dismissal from league"

If it's not there now, or some general language leaving the commish the ability to make a ruling, you're stuck with it this year.

Good luck.
ABA316 Beginner
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:16 am

Yeah, what they all said :-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bungle613 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:53 am

Garbage move.

Don't want to drop a player for a bye week kicker...fine. In keepers a or dynasties, trade away a player to secure future picks...fine.

BENCHING your STARTERS to get a playoff position. This is where commish power comes into play. Make em field the roster.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:38 am

bungle613 wrote:Garbage move.

Don't want to drop a player for a bye week kicker...fine. In keepers a or dynasties, trade away a player to secure future picks...fine.

BENCHING your STARTERS to get a playoff position. This is where commish power comes into play. Make em field the roster.

I couldn't agree more. It makes me laugh (and want to cry) that these guys think they might be better off playing a certain team. Have they every heard the term "any given Sunday"? They have a 50/50 chance of losing against the team they prefer to play against & a 50/50 chance of winning against the team they're trying to avoid. Unreal. :-t :-t

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby LegendoftheFall » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:03 am

thanks guys, i went ahead and allowed it since i didnt have any rules in place about this, but i guess now i know.

the funny thing is the way it worked out, one of the teams will drop all the way to 7 or 8 and have to play one of the top 2 teams. (one being my team, which kinda sucks for me, but cool that he didnt get what he wanted....unless he wanted to play me?? :-? ) i think this might have backfired on him. hopefully i can make him pay next week.
LegendoftheFall
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:57 pm

i wouldnt even have allowed it...just because there isnt a rule against it doesnt mean it should be allowed

i always run into questionable situations in my leagues where "well, there's no rule against it" comes up...i'm thinking about adding some sort of "any unusual scenarios not covered in the rules are subject to review by the commissioner"
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner