How does Crabtree compare to Calvin Johnson? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

How does Crabtree compare to Calvin Johnson?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: How does Crabtree compare to Calvin Johnson?

Postby 34=Sweetness » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:33 pm

Isn't Crabtree a true sophomore, which means he has to play one more year to be draft eligible?
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby treat24 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:05 pm

34=Sweetness wrote:Isn't Crabtree a true sophomore, which means he has to play one more year to be draft eligible?

nope, he's a redshirt... and I put his chances at 99% of coming out. Just like Maclin and Moreno. I'm not sure about McCoy... everything I've seen about him is he wants to stay.

Dang Redshirts...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Guru13 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:20 pm

treat24 wrote:
34=Sweetness wrote:Isn't Crabtree a true sophomore, which means he has to play one more year to be draft eligible?

nope, he's a redshirt... and I put his chances at 99% of coming out. Just like Maclin and Moreno. I'm not sure about McCoy... everything I've seen about him is he wants to stay.

Dang Redshirts...

I'd be pretty well shocked if Maclin didn't come out. Not saying Gabbert won't be good, but certainly Maclin's stock won't go up minus Daniel at QB.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby treat24 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:37 pm

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
treat24 wrote:

Dang Redshirts...

I'd be pretty well shocked if Maclin didn't come out. Not saying Gabbert won't be good, but certainly Maclin's stock won't go up minus Daniel at QB.

That's what I'm saying... Maclin, Moreno, Crabtree are virtual guarantees of the Redshirt sophomores to come out. McCoy I have a small tingling might stay.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby dgan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:31 am

I'm not big on assessing college players to the NFL, but I have to say Crabtree is someone that even the more casual college fan (like myself) looks at and says "Wow!". What is amazing about him is that he isn't just out there beating everyone with raw talent. This guy looks polished, runs great routes, and secures the ball quickly. Very important things for an NFL WR. Guys like Steve Smith and Wes Welker who don't have all the measurables are great receivers because of their ability to do those things. I don't remember if Megatron was described as 'polished', so I'm not sure how to compare the two.

You add on to that his "big receiver" stature and I think this kid is going to be an instant success - if he goes somewhere with a QB and decent existing offense (in other words, not Chiefs, Lions, or Raiders). I just think this guy plays an NFL quality game right now - not just some jock who can run a post pattern running by four defenders.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:42 am

Crazy thing about Crabtree is he was a High School QB much like Boldin so he's still got alot of upside left as a WR...I've seen him play for some time now and he's the real deal, his numbers are inflated because Tech throws so much but he is just an elite talent...Calvin Johnson level? No, those guys are rare, Crabtree won't run a 4.3 40 and he doesn't have the size and framework of Calvin but he has top notch acceleration and if you put him in a West Coast Offense your going to see his true talents.

Crabtree has all the tools to suceed at the next level, but I need to see where everyone is drafted before I can rank players...I really hope Baltimore drafts Jeremy Maclin, pair him up with Flacco and I think that's a tandem to grow with.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Crystalstorm » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:01 am

ngub12 wrote:yea there is no way the lions draft a wr at 1. they have far too many problems as illustrated above. they probably go with a qb like matt stafford.

as far as the comparison of Crabtree to Johnson, I just dont see a comparison at all-- but nothing against crabtree. CJ is bigger, faster, stronger, a better route runner, etc etc with much more potential. He is actually all those things better than most of the recievers in the nfl. He is physically superior to virtually every defensive player he plays against.

The only thing holding CJ down is that god awful franchise. So that being said, i could see Crabtree being a more productive nfl wideout since he will almost inevitable land in a better situation that CJ currently is in.

I'm not saying the Lions would draft him,thats just how domb the organization is.Every year they grab high end WR's coming out of college.I don't know what Lions drafts you looked at.But they almost always grab a wr in the 1st 2 rounds,no matter what their needs.
Crystalstorm
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:11 pm

treat24 wrote:

Dang Redshirts...

after the injury, being denied a NC shop with only loss, and Harell leaving, I put his chances at 100% of coming out. His draft stock can't be higher, he loses his QB, they won't go to the NC game with Texas and OK being there every year, and he just had an injury to his leg. Leave now and get money before he injures himself in a meaningless season.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ngub12 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:06 pm

Crystalstorm wrote:
ngub12 wrote:yea there is no way the lions draft a wr at 1. they have far too many problems as illustrated above. they probably go with a qb like matt stafford.

as far as the comparison of Crabtree to Johnson, I just dont see a comparison at all-- but nothing against crabtree. CJ is bigger, faster, stronger, a better route runner, etc etc with much more potential. He is actually all those things better than most of the recievers in the nfl. He is physically superior to virtually every defensive player he plays against.

The only thing holding CJ down is that god awful franchise. So that being said, i could see Crabtree being a more productive nfl wideout since he will almost inevitable land in a better situation that CJ currently is in.

I'm not saying the Lions would draft him,thats just how domb the organization is.Every year they grab high end WR's coming out of college.I don't know what Lions drafts you looked at.But they almost always grab a wr in the 1st 2 rounds,no matter what their needs.

Yeah but Millen is gone from Detroit. If the new GM wants to keep his job, he wont repeat Millen's draft follies.
ngub12
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Previous

Return to Football Talk