Nobody respects the Steelers' defense - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Pittsburgh Steelers

Nobody respects the Steelers' defense

Moderator: Football Moderators

Nobody respects the Steelers' defense

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:13 pm

Surprising, I know, considering they have yet to let up 300 or more yards to any team they've played this year. But all I'm hearing about this week is how Matt Cassel can beat the Steelers. This clip from NFL.com is the most hilarious to me. It's Brian Billick talking about last year's game and how the Patriots can do the same thing they did last year again.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80cd3eff

First of all, Matt Cassel is not Tom Brady. I don't care if he threw for 400 yards against two AFC East defenses. Billick can't seem to get over that.

Second, Billick's argument is that Cassel can make the same throws Brady made in that game. Both of those throws were to wide receivers that were 10 yards behind the entire Pittsburgh defense, and one was on a trick play. Anyone who has the arm strength to throw the ball 50 yards can make that throw.

Billick is assuming the Steelers are the same defense they were last year, and they're not. The difference is that Pittsburgh's secondary isn't what it was last year. The Steelers have always suffocated opponents' running games, but the reason their defense is performing at a level no other defense has played at in the past 30 years is their secondary is finally stepping it up.

Not that I'm not worried about this game, but apart from Peyton Manning, no quarterback has had any significant success against the Steelers this year, and even he had an absolutely horrendous first half against them.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Nobody respects the Steelers' defense

Postby Munboy » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:12 am

Not surprising coming from the former coach of one of their rival teams.

It didn't work out so well for either Matt or Brian, did it?
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Return to Pittsburgh Steelers