NFL teams by offense type - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL teams by offense type

Moderator: Football Moderators

NFL teams by offense type

Postby Steve-o » Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:40 pm

With fantasy playoffs right around the corner I am looking for edge in determining which matchups to play. I was thinking of comparing offense types (ie, west coast, spread, two back sets, etc) to see how certain opponents fared against certain defenses. Ideally, I would want to compare teams with similar skill players in similar offenses (ie, strong #1 receiver, strong TE, deep receiving core, etc). Does anyone know a site that either lists what type of offense each team runs, or better yet, player comparisons for a particular season? Or, if anyone see a real problem with doing this, I'd also appreciate some constructive criticism.

I have been spending some time checking out various resources for this, but so far no luck. I figure I would throw it out to the cafe for some help. Thanks in advance.
What do these years have in common?
1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, and 1996.
Steve-o
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: NFL teams by offense type

Postby dgan » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:42 am

Don't think you're really going to find what you're looking for. The NFL only has 32 teams, and it probably runs about 8 different style offenses. So at most you are only going to find 3 or 4 teams for each 'style', and even the way those are implemented are very different. Add into the equation comparing talent on those teams, and really each team has to be looked at individually. And if you want to add one more thing, all the stats thus far have been in pretty good weather...now that a bunch of games will be played in snow, cold, rain, and oobleck, a bunch of those stats can be thrown out the window.

Plus you have injuries so that a team may not even be playing at a level this week that they were 3 weeks ago. Or take a team like the Packers who have no identity whatsoever and only show up periodically.

It is really difficult to categorically compare/rate/rank/project an offense or defense. Even if you watch all the games, you really are still just making an educated guess as to what you think will happen in a general sense (ie. high or low scoring game). To try to do that by just looking at stats, rosters, and schemes is really impossible.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: NFL teams by offense type

Postby Steve-o » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:09 pm

Thanks for the info. I figured it might be impossible to do, but it was worth a shot. I actually sorta found what I was looking for in fftoday.com's "Inside the Matchup" articles, but when I examined the previous weeks articles, they were enough typos and what I thought was incorrect information that I considered the source unreliable. Thanks again.
What do these years have in common?
1929, 1930, 1931, 1936, 1939, 1944, 1961, 1962, 1965, 1966, 1967, and 1996.
Steve-o
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Football Talk