4 way tie breaker? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Commissioner's Corner

4 way tie breaker?

Moderator: Football Moderators

4 way tie breaker?

Postby djadrock » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:43 pm

There are two spots for the playoffs. The first tie-breaker is head-to-head wins. There are four teams with identical records.

Each team is listed below with their record among the 4 teams hoping for the 2 spots.

Team A - 2-1 (loss to team B) 66% winning
Team B - 2-2 (loss to team C/D...played team C two times and they split) 50% winning but with an extra game
Team C - 1-3 (loss to Team A/B/C...played team B two times and they split) 33% winning
Team D - 2-1 (loss to team A) 66% winning

Who makes the playoffs?

Wouldn't team A/D based on highest winning percentage?

This is a nice mess!
djadrock
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 4 way tie breaker?

Postby Matthias » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:55 pm

+1 on reasons not to use Head to Head as a tiebreaker.

I look at this two ways.
1) You can't do head to head for 4 teams; move on to your next tiebreaker.
2) Your instinct is right; the teams that win are those that have the highest win %age against all the teams involved.

So, if you use head to head for this 4-way tiebreak, your thinking is right. If you decide that it's not how to do it, then move on to the next tiebreaker.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby djadrock » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:08 pm

Our next tie-breaker is division record, which I HATE more than head-to-head!!! Being as three of the teams are in different divisions. One of the divisions is the toughest with two teams dominating the league. I am going to talk during the off-season about using points as the tie-breaker. That is simple and would make it cut and dry.
djadrock
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 7)

Postby padrino990_200 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:37 am

why dont you just use points as your tiebreaker? its never going to be a tie
padrino990_200
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:03 pm

we just had a similar situation in one of my leagues...4 teams tied for the final 2 spots (3 from the same division). Division tie was broken first so that left 3 teams which again goes to H2H however it was an uneven number of games so commish decided to throw it out and move onto next tie-breaker which was total points

i was out in either scenario but i argued that it should default to winning %. we are looking at reworking the tiebreakers for next year.

personally, i still like the H2H to apply when applicable. i also like Division record to break division ties

we will probably go to something like
Division tie between 2 teams
1. H2H
2. Division Record
3. Total Points
4. Coin Flip

Division tie between 3 teams
1. combined H2H
2. Division Record
3. Total Points
4. ??? not sure yet

Wildcard tie between 2 teams
1. H2H
2. Total Points
3. Coin Flip

Wildcard tie between 3 teams
1. H2H (If even number of games)
2. Total Points
3. ???

but again, total points is the easiest way to do it
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby spodog » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:08 pm

djadrock wrote:Our next tie-breaker is division record, which I HATE more than head-to-head!!! Being as three of the teams are in different divisions. One of the divisions is the toughest with two teams dominating the league. I am going to talk during the off-season about using points as the tie-breaker. That is simple and would make it cut and dry.

Why would you use Division Record as a tie breaker criteria to break ties for teams across multiple divisions? That's insane. O:-)
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:18 pm

Most of this seems crazy to me. The tie breakers should always be total points scored when it comes to a mass tie like this, IMO. In one of my leagues, we take into account head-to-head numbers (head-to-head wins and then total points against each other if that is tied also) when it's a two-way tie, but that is the only exception. Division records have almost nothing to do with anything since you probably only play 3-6 games in your division and then the rest out of your division (and probably not in an even distribution)...
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dupree » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:00 am

we use H2H Sweep in the case of > 2 teams tied for a playoff spot IFF APPLICABLE, meaning that all teams involved in the tie played each other an = number of times. (i.e. each of the 4 teams played the other 3 exactly 1 time or exactly twice). By Sweep I mean one and only one team had to win or lose 100% of those games. And that team either gets the spot (100% wins) or is eliminated (100% losses) from contention.

The second tie break is, of course, total points scored.

After one team is eliminated/wins a tie break all remaining teams revert back to step one to break the remaining ties if any.
dupree
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Return to Commissioner's Corner