BCS at large bids - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

BCS at large bids

Moderator: Football Moderators

BCS at large bids

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:12 pm

Okay, it may be a bit early, but now seems like a decent time to start hypothesizing on who gets the BCS at large bids.

Here's some possibilities:

Loser of Georgia/Bama (assuming the other is in the championship)
Texas/Oklahoma
Utah
Boise St
Ohio St
Ball St

I'm guessing that the ones who are left out are Ohio St and Ball St. I'm pretty sure that Utah gets in automatically for being in the top 12 and the best ranked non-BCS team, unless Boise St somehow jumps them, which almost certainly won't happen.

You may have noticed I left out a 1-loss Texas Tech team, and the reason for that is that there can only be 2 Big 12 teams in. If OK wins the championship, it will be them and Texas. If they lose, it will be Texas and Mizzou (who will receive an automatic bid).

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: BCS at large bids

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:49 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Okay, it may be a bit early, but now seems like a decent time to start hypothesizing on who gets the BCS at large bids.

Texas/Oklahoma
Utah
Boise St
Ohio St
Ball St

I'm guessing that the ones who are left out are Ohio St and Ball St. I'm pretty sure that Utah gets in automatically for being in the top 12 and the best ranked non-BCS team, unless Boise St somehow jumps them, which almost certainly won't happen.

You may have noticed I left out a 1-loss Texas Tech team, and the reason for that is that there can only be 2 Big 12 teams in. If OK wins the championship, it will be them and Texas. If they lose, it will be Texas and Mizzou (who will receive an automatic bid).

Loser of Bama/UF goes to the Sugar as a the SEc rep and not an at large, same would go for the Big 12. Utah is already in and Boise probably will too. Ball St will not be in a BCS game. Here are my predictions:

Title -- Florida v. Oklahoma
Sugar -- Bama v. Boise
Orange -- BC/VT (not sure who wins this) v. Cincy
Fiesta -- Texas v. Utah
Rose - USC v. PSU

IMO that will leave the Title game and the Orange bowl as competative games. The others will be one sided IMO
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:07 am

Sugar -- Bama v. Texas
Fiesta -- Boise v. Utah
Rose - USC v. PSU

Using Dee's list with one change (Texas/Boise), this is my dream scenario. The Sugar Bowl and the BCS Championship game would be really good games. The Fiesta might be entertaining this way, and Boise and Utah really deserve each other, as relative outsiders to this process. USC will annihilate Penn State, and that's never a bad game to watch.

Too bad we couldn't pair up USC and Texas again. That would be a pretty good game.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:30 am

knapplc wrote:
Sugar -- Bama v. Texas
Fiesta -- Boise v. Utah
Rose - USC v. PSU

Using Dee's list with one change (Texas/Boise), this is my dream scenario. The Sugar Bowl and the BCS Championship game would be really good games. The Fiesta might be entertaining this way, and Boise and Utah really deserve each other, as relative outsiders to this process. USC will annihilate Penn State, and that's never a bad game to watch.

Too bad we couldn't pair up USC and Texas again. That would be a pretty good game.

I hope for this as well. I just think that the Fiesta will take a Big 12 team instead of the 2 at larges
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:23 pm

There's no way a BCS bowl takes Boise over OSU. Given the current economy and the fact that 4 of the 8 worst BCS TV ratings have come via the non-BCS conference teams, I don't see how a bowl wouldn't pick OSU over Boise. (Only 1 non-BCS team gets an auto-BCS bid if they're in the top 12 FYI)

Title - Florida v Oklahoma
Rose - USC v Penn St
Fiesta - Texas v Ohio St
Sugar - Utah v Alabama
Orange - BC v Cincy

The only possible difference I could see is if for some reason the Fiesta selects Utah instead of OSU, but I see that as very unlikely.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:47 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Okay, it may be a bit early, but now seems like a decent time to start hypothesizing on who gets the BCS at large bids.

Texas/Oklahoma
Utah
Boise St
Ohio St
Ball St

Loser of Bama/UF goes to the Sugar as a the SEc rep and not an at large, same would go for the Big 12. Utah is already in and Boise probably will too. Ball St will not be in a BCS game. Here are my predictions:

Sugar -- Bama v. Boise
Fiesta -- Texas v. Utah
Rose - USC v. PSU

IMO that will leave the Title game and the Orange bowl as competative games. The others will be one sided IMO

Bama/UF going to the Sugar bowl is still an at large bid. There doesn't have to be a team from the SEC in the sugar bowl if the winner is in the championship (this happened when no pac 10 team went to the Rose Bowl a few years ago when Texas played Michigan).

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:48 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Sugar -- Bama v. Texas
Fiesta -- Boise v. Utah
Rose - USC v. PSU

I hope for this as well. I just think that the Fiesta will take a Big 12 team instead of the 2 at larges

The Fiesta can't take a big 12 team. Only 2 Big 12 teams can make BCS bowl games as a whole.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby ShoelessJoe » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:53 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Bama/UF going to the Sugar bowl is still an at large bid. There doesn't have to be a team from the SEC in the sugar bowl if the winner is in the championship (this happened when no pac 10 team went to the Rose Bowl a few years ago when Texas played Michigan).

The Fiesta and Sugar would get the 1st and 2nd choices depending on who is #1 and who is #2 in the final polls. They won't however be able to choose from Cincy, USC, Penn St, or BC/VT as they are locked in to their bowls. That means they are choosing between the SEC Champ Game Loser, Tex/Oklahoma, Utah, Ohio St, Boise. Who do you think they would choose?

If the Sugar Bowl gets the opportunity to select Florida or Alabama, they would take them ahead of EVERYBODY. The same can be said of Oklahoma/Texas in the Fiesta Bowl. All 4 teams are considered elite teams, have great fan bases, are pretty close to the location, will travel well, will buy tickets, have great offenses and have great storylines that will sell tickets. Trust me, the Sugar Bowl will not pass up a 1-loss Alabama team or 2-loss Florida team in this situation. The only situation I could potentially see where the Sugar Bowl doesn't grab an SEC team is if Alabama beats Florida on Saturday. That means the Sugar has the first choice because Alabama would be #1 in the BCS (If florida wins on Saturday they will likely be #2 in the final BCS) and they could (this would be VERY unlikely and unconventional) select Texas/Oklahoma, whoever doesn't go to the NC game.

Keep in mind though, this is an SEC team we're talking about in New Orleans, not Cal in the Rose Bowl. We're talking about Florida and Alabama. Both teams sell tickets and will get much better TV ratings than Cal.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:10 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:

The Fiesta and Sugar would get the 1st and 2nd choices depending on who is #1 and who is #2 in the final polls. They won't however be able to choose from Cincy, USC, Penn St, or BC/VT as they are locked in to their bowls. That means they are choosing between the SEC Champ Game Loser, Tex/Oklahoma, Utah, Ohio St, Boise. Who do you think they would choose?

If the Sugar Bowl gets the opportunity to select Florida or Alabama, they would take them ahead of EVERYBODY. The same can be said of Oklahoma/Texas in the Fiesta Bowl. All 4 teams are considered elite teams, have great fan bases, are pretty close to the location, will travel well, will buy tickets, have great offenses and have great storylines that will sell tickets. Trust me, the Sugar Bowl will not pass up a 1-loss Alabama team or 2-loss Florida team in this situation. The only situation I could potentially see where the Sugar Bowl doesn't grab an SEC team is if Alabama beats Florida on Saturday. That means the Sugar has the first choice because Alabama would be #1 in the BCS (If florida wins on Saturday they will likely be #2 in the final BCS) and they could (this would be VERY unlikely and unconventional) select Texas/Oklahoma, whoever doesn't go to the NC game.

Keep in mind though, this is an SEC team we're talking about in New Orleans, not Cal in the Rose Bowl. We're talking about Florida and Alabama. Both teams sell tickets and will get much better TV ratings than Cal.

I understand and agree that they would be the team chosen. The reason for my comment was that this thread was originally made to talk about who would be the at large teams chosen (there are 4 total), so I was just commenting that one of those 4 teams would be Bama/Florida (whichever doesn't win the SEC).

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Script-Ohio » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:23 am

ShoelessJoe's list is exactly what it's going to be, if UF beats Bama and OU beats Mizzou
Script-Ohio
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Return to College Football