Guess it's time for my medicine - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Guess it's time for my medicine

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Guess it's time for my medicine

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:30 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:Well you could say I took a QB too early, I grabbed Romo at 2.2 I believe and I'm 3rd in the league in pts even with his injury and in the playoffs, so it can be done...But I was able to get my workhorse Rb in Barber earlier and had depth with Stewart, Graham, and Deangelo(who was huge for my draft)...For the record this was the earliest I took a QB in any draft and it didn't hinder me too much.

right, so of the 3 guys who took a QB in the first 2 rounds one made the playoffs

True, but that's also like picking the bottom 2 teams in the league, seeing they went RB/RB in the first two rounds and saying it won't work...If you pick the right QB early it can work, and if you pick the wrong Rb early it might not work, PB waited alot longer to take a Rb then I expected him to so that could have alot to do with it but this year was one of the years where you may of been better off waiting on a RB.

Had he went RB/RB in the next 2 rounds he could of ended up with Turner and Bush or something similiar because those guys, Thomas Jones, Lendale White, all had some good value where they went...This league showed me even furthermore this stuff is such a crap shoot, all you can do go with the "odds", and odds are waiting for a QB will be more sucessful but it certainly doesn't prove that point in stone...I wanted to see where I fared as well and I didn't see a big discrepancy between the depth I was able to acquire, I'm all for getting your feature back early, but there are so many committee's going around that you can find guys later to contribute for you.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:13 am

I learned I can be really good at picking players who will bust :-?

I took some chances, a few of them worked out (Marshall, Lendale), but some others didn't (Grant, McGahee though I think we drafted before he had the surgery, Holmes)

I probably would have fared better if I waited longer to get a QB...I thought getting Palmer in the late 5th/early 6th would be pretty good value, but I would have been MUCH better off waiting a few more rounds and getting someone else.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:53 pm

FFslacker wrote:I took Brady in the 1st round. Although my back-up plan of Warner in the 12th worked out pretty well for me. I didn't draft my first rb until round 4 and I am in the playoffs with a 9-4 record. 1 point behind the scoring leader.

again, no one is saying you can't do it and it work out. Just curious -- how did u end up with Westy, McGahee, Turner, and CJ424 if you didn't draft a RB until the 4th round? if you picked your first back Those were risks you were willing to take and it worked out. Warner put up huge numbers so you were lucky enough to replace Brady with him. The point of all this was that more often than not, picking a QB early does not work out and I think the numbers bear that out. It also appears that nothing will convince anyone of these numbers.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FFslacker » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:00 am

I ended up with McGahee because no one else wanted him....and I should have passed on him too apparently but he did so well for me the second half of last season. Turner I grabbed in the 4th because the only other guy who knew about him and had been paying attention was 1 round too late on getting him. He thought he could sneak him in the 5th. I got Cj and Westy in trades. CJ I got in a multi-player trade that involved me trading Reggie Wayne at the start of his slump. Westy I got just before the trade deadline for Deangelo Williams (whom I got off waivers because the owner dropped him a few weeks in because JStew was getting a majority of the work).

I'm sure when I try to draft like this next year I will probably get burned but that's half the fun of it. It just turned out to be a great year to not go with the rb/rb draft to me because so many of the consistent performers have been...well, inconsistent. There is definitely a little more "wing and a prayer" involved with going QB first no doubt. And I got extremely lucky with Warner because I took him before he was named the starter for '08 so I reeeaaally got lucky on that one.
FFslacker
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby joejlitz » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:10 am

FFslacker wrote:I ended up with McGahee because no one else wanted him....and I should have passed on him too apparently but he did so well for me the second half of last season. Turner I grabbed in the 4th because the only other guy who knew about him and had been paying attention was 1 round too late on getting him. He thought he could sneak him in the 5th. I got Cj and Westy in trades. CJ I got in a multi-player trade that involved me trading Reggie Wayne at the start of his slump. Westy I got just before the trade deadline for Deangelo Williams (whom I got off waivers because the owner dropped him a few weeks in because JStew was getting a majority of the work).

1) And that's about the whole point for me. It matters how you draft, but you can always make up for it throughout the season using the WW and trades.

2) My league (10-teamer) awards equal points for rushing/receiving/passing QBs so I drafted Portis at 1.08 and came back with Romo at 2.13. It worked out great, but what if I had gotten Addai instead of Portis? Not so good.

And oh - by the way...Romo was the 3rd QB taken. Brady went at 1.02 and Manning went at 1.10, so I fel the pressure to get the QB I really wanted.

3) My draft mistake was not taking Boldin earlier and fearing he would be injury prone (he got hurt, but not enough to mess up an owner's season). So instead of a WR in the 4th, I took Witten at 4.03 (took Parker in the 3rd). Therefore, my WRs were Holmes at 5.08 and Cotchery at 6.03. I was so high on these guys, I thought I was set at WR. Neither is on my team these days. I cut 'em.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guerilla Warfare (9-3-1)
10 Team, H2H

QB - Romo, Thigpen
RBs - Portis, Parker, Forte, K.Smith, J. Lewis
WRs - Bowe, Breaston, Walter
TE - Witten, Boss
DST/K - PHI
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Previous

Return to Football Talk