Metal Gear Solid 4 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Metal Gear Solid 4

Moderator: Football Moderators

Metal Gear Solid 4

Postby bagobonez » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:26 pm

Got a PS3 for X-mas/Birthday... pretty sure I'm going to get this as my first PS3 game. Anyone else have it? If so, what are your thoughts (without spoiling anything)?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Metal Gear Solid 4

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:43 pm

bagobonez wrote:Got a PS3 for X-mas/Birthday... pretty sure I'm going to get this as my first PS3 game. Anyone else have it? If so, what are your thoughts (without spoiling anything)?

I'm getting one to but with GTA4. My Bday is also close to Christmas 22nd. I always liked as a kid being able to combine them for the big gift.

The Metal Gear games are always rediculous with a good deep story line. I will definately get Metal Gear with any best buy gift cards I recieve.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Free Bagel » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:13 am

I never really could get into the previous Metal Gear games, but I enjoyed Metal Gear 4 and played all the way through it (I read up on the stories from the first 3 before playing). It plays more like a shooter than the others.

Obviously, you have to be willing to endure some long cutscenes. Personally, I enjoy cutscenes (that's why I love final fantasy) and appreciated the movie-esque presentation values of them. But even for me, they dragged on a bit too long at times. For me, it basically went up and down. The opening was cool, Act 1 was boring, Act 2 was good, Act 3 was freaking INCREDIBLE and if it kept going up from there it would really be one of the greatest games ever like some people made it out to be, but after that it really kind of fell apart in Acts 4 and 5 for me. Everything just got kind of absurd, especially the plot, which is capped off by a little over 2 hours of convoluted cutscenes.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby bagobonez » Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:43 pm

Finished it. Excellent game. My biggest complaint is how cheesy it can be at times, which has been the case throughout the series for the most part. Some things I just could have really done without... for example... SPOILER ALERT... when meryl and her new little lover were fending off all those bad guys but they were talking about getting married at the same time and dancing around each other and all that crap. Just a little too silly for my tastes.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:25 pm

bagobonez wrote:Finished it. Excellent game. My biggest complaint is how cheesy it can be at times, which has been the case throughout the series for the most part. Some things I just could have really done without... for example... SPOILER ALERT... when meryl and her new little lover were fending off all those bad guys but they were talking about getting married at the same time and dancing around each other and all that crap. Just a little too silly for my tastes.

yeah..i thought that scene was a bit on the weak side myself....but i cant remember anything else that seemed over the top like that. i mean there are some emotional scenes, but its part of the story and i think they fit in. that scene just looked like something out of some cheesy comedy/action movie.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Return to Video Games