This years Diamond in the Rough pick-up MVP - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

This years Diamond in the Rough pick-up MVP

Moderator: Football Moderators

This years Diamond in the Rough pick-up MVP

Postby Crystalstorm » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:10 pm

In a 12 team league,it has to be Lance Moore and Breaston,to stand as the top 2 Major waiver pick-ups for the year.I'd imagine in 10 team or less leagues there would be a ton waiver pick-up MVP's.Hillis,is becoming a favorite,to bad he didn't have the RB job longer,but he should be on the list.As should Thigpen(over the last 6 weeks,top 8 QB).

Any other waiver guys that came out of nowhere,that can be added to the MVP,Diamond in a rough list? RB's that were listed on everyones cheat sheets and drafted don't count.I like names that the average Fantasy player had no idea who they were,when they broke out this year.
Crystalstorm
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: This years Diamond in the Rough pick-up MVP

Postby Matthias » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:19 pm

You would have to have Kurt Warner on that list.

And I won't give the MVP, but I will throw an honorable mention, to Visanthe Shiancoe who has been a reasonably productive TE in a bad year for them.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby venus » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:37 pm

Here are my diamonds in the rough.
Qb Warner hands down, Ryan is up there too.
Rb Deangelo(gone by week 4) Williams, Slaton
Wr Roddy White( lower mid round adp getting you top 5 numbers), Deshaun Jackson
TE John Carlson, undrafted in many leagues finishing top 10 with subpar qb play.
K Carney , Larry Tynes who????
D Jets, lose Vilma and improve against the run, and thank god for Leon.

Just my 2cps.
venus
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Popcynical » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:33 pm

WR: Moore, Royal
Last edited by Popcynical on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Popcynical
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:13 am

My Diamond in the rough this year was Walter off of the WW. Warner was very good value in the 2nd to he last round who saved my season when Romo went down. Forte. Rodgers. Royal. CJ4.24 get mention too.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:44 am

overall it has to be warner.

id also say lance moore, mewelde moore, desean jackson, tyler thigpen, eddie royal, and greg camarillo (PPR) until he got hurt.

also i think peyton hillis might end up helping some people down the stretch...and i know no one drafted that guy...along with dominik hixon from here on out.
Last edited by deluxe_247 on Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:31 am

In terms of pure WW pickup I'd have to go with

QB - Tyler Thigpen. He definitely was not on anyone's radar. Most of the leagues I was in didn't have a KC QB drafted, including a 22 round dynasty. Kurt Warner was clearly the late drafted QB that wins outright, but he was drafted in *most* of my leagues.

RB - Again, from a pure non-drafted point of view I would really have to go with Tim Hightower. He wasn't drafted in half the leagues I was in and was a great early season pickup. Mewelde Moore was a fine addition too. Drafted it's easy to go with Chris Johnson. Forte was on a lot of people's radar as a mid-round pick, but I saw Johnson go in the late rounds often.

WR - Lance Moore hands down. He has etched his way into the 2009 draft and has dynasty and keeper owners re-thinking their immediate plans. It should be noted that Dominik Hixon may also earn similar honors depending on the next 3 weeks. Drafted, I would go with Roddy White. I'm still not a big believer here but he's proving me wrong each week and doesn't show signs of slowing down. The emergence of Matt Ryan and a solid running foundation has thoroughly helped his value going forward.

TE - Both Dustin Keller and John Carlson went from undrafted to solid performers and likely drafted within the top 10 TEs next year. The drafted but outperforming Owen Daniels probably takes the cake, and if it weren't for the Schaub injury he could easily have sneaked into the top 3 this year.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:49 am

biju wrote:In terms of pure WW pickup I'd have to go with

QB - Tyler Thigpen. He definitely was not on anyone's radar. Most of the leagues I was in didn't have a KC QB drafted, including a 22 round dynasty. Kurt Warner was clearly the late drafted QB that wins outright, but he was drafted in *most* of my leagues.

RB - Again, from a pure non-drafted point of view I would really have to go with Tim Hightower. He wasn't drafted in half the leagues I was in and was a great early season pickup. Mewelde Moore was a fine addition too. Drafted it's easy to go with Chris Johnson. Forte was on a lot of people's radar as a mid-round pick, but I saw Johnson go in the late rounds often.

WR - Lance Moore hands down. He has etched his way into the 2009 draft and has dynasty and keeper owners re-thinking their immediate plans. It should be noted that Dominik Hixon may also earn similar honors depending on the next 3 weeks. Drafted, I would go with Roddy White. I'm still not a big believer here but he's proving me wrong each week and doesn't show signs of slowing down. The emergence of Matt Ryan and a solid running foundation has thoroughly helped his value going forward.

TE - Both Dustin Keller and John Carlson went from undrafted to solid performers and likely drafted within the top 10 TEs next year. The drafted but outperforming Owen Daniels probably takes the cake, and if it weren't for the Schaub injury he could easily have sneaked into the top 3 this year.

I agree with your player picks as late round picks. However, many of the guys you listed (like Higtower, Keller and Carlson) were actually drafted in all or most of my leagues.

Additionally, I have been watching Thigpen for over a year now. Not because I thought he was good, but that QB mess in KC suggested he would get an opportunity soon. Given how much the KC brass talked about him at the time they picked him up off waivers from the Vikes, he warranted observation.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:51 am

deluxe_247 wrote:overall it has to be warner.

id also say lance moore, mewelde moore, desean jackson, tyler thigpen, robert royal, and greg camarillo (PPR) until he got hurt.

also i think peyton hillis might end up helping some people down the stretch...and i know no one drafted that guy...along with dominik hixon from here on out.

good calls all around, although i'd swap Eddie Royal in place of Robert Royal...

also, Matt Cassell deverves and honorable mention
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Azrael » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:19 pm

I cannot believe Kurt Warner was a WW pickup. I drafted him in the 8th round in 2 of my leagues and he went in the 7th in another one of my leagues. He was a $2 "drafted" QB in my auction league. He can't be a WW MVP.

I would say Thigpen would be if he finishes up these last 3 games against Denver, SD, and Miami with an average of 2 TDs per game. He's averaged about 18 ppg under a standard scoring format since he took over week 8. Matt Ryan could also get consideration.

This is a highly subjective thing as "drafted" vs. "pickup" players can vary from league to league. DeAngelo was also drafted in all of my leagues.

Slaton was drafted in 2 of my leagues and was a FA pickup in 2.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Next

Return to Football Talk